Tiny Wings not so original ;) (video proof)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by griffilms, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8sanders

8sanders Active Member

Feb 26, 2010
    #21 8sanders, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
    I would like someone to name an original game idea they have seen lately. I have been gaming for over 30 years. I very rarely see something that I consider original. Tiny Wings Guy created a fun game, put it out there, and got damned lucky. Good for him. It should inspire us all.

2. ManofAegis

ManofAegis Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    California, USA
    Angry Birds isn't exactly original either and neither is doodle jump. There's other games like Crush the Castle and PapiJump and so on that are very similar, but have a different theme. It's the basic appearance, cutsy graphics, and overall feel of the game that makes people wanna buy it. (just like: Cut the Rope, Doodle Jump, Angry Birds). In fact, I wanted to buy this game cause it had a nice presentation to it (and help the bird fly lol)

3. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    The base gameplay mechanic has been around for ages, like physics castle crushers before Angry Birds.

No single idea under the sun is original, it's the combination of elements that makes it so. Most of those flash games never went beyond the ball and line slopes design cause the devs couldn't figure it out. Tiny Birds obvious had a lot of sweat put in to fully realise the potential of the barebones concept.

And the Wavespark dev is dishonest for pretending HIS game was original to the point of DEMANDING CREDIT from the Tiny Birds dev. What an asshole.

4. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    How many people will watch sin(surfing) and go - update the gfx and bring a clone out and I will make lots of money like Tiny Wings.

Unfortunately they will all fail because been first of that type of game brings the rewards. All clones will fail.

The dev of the other game must be kicking himself now - people even told him to make it for the iPhone market - all he had to do was add some good production and he may of got the rewards but he chose not too and is crying out to be recognised now.

5. griffilms

griffilms Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    .. or Tiny Wings' biggest inspiration could have been Kiwi... :)

6. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    interesting, sometimes people on TA bitch about games which are copies of other games and sometimes not.

7. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    Alot of bitching about this game is due too the fact of how successful this has been , if it had not it would have got no mention at all. Just a little bit of jealousy coming into play i think

8. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    yeah, maybe jealousy. well, appstore is kind of lottery, there are dozens of great games which will never reach top 10.

9. lazrhog

lazrhog Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Software
    UK
    I think my game GeoSpin is pretty original thanks :)

10. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    i think that for example Solipskier is pretty original too.

11. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    The game mechanic of Tiny Wings is not unique and the dev never claimed that it was. What irks me is how the dev of Wavespark spoke of his game like it's the only game like that and similar games must have copied from him. Maybe sin(Surfing) should demand credit from him.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Funny if this is gameloft I can see everyone will be up in arms on the cloning issue, but since this is an indie dev we are talking about here the very same people are willing to look the other way.

13. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Pretty different, Gameloft states that they are inspired/copying popular game themes to put them on the iPhone market.

I have no idea if Tiny Wings was inspired by another game but it is certainly not a clone. The art work and music bring to life the game in a way that similar games did not.

There are a ton of running games in the app store. Are they all clones or games inspired by the genre? I find something new in most of these games that makes them stand out.

14. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #34 arta, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
    Seriously, look at the work Andreas did here:
    http://microsia.de/

http://nmccoy.net/2011/02/24/on-the-whole-wavespark-tiny-wings-thing/comment-page-1/#comment-2289

I posted the fact about Sin Surfing on his blog last night and he deleted it. :rolleyes:

15. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
  16. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Except Tiny wings is much much better than the source material, and the developer only took the general gameplay idea, while imbuing his own great art, improved physics, and tons of persoanlity and polish.

Gameloft copies the brand and aesthetics as much as possible from popular console series', pastes it onto generic a FPS, or racer, or dungeon crawler, or adventure game, or "J"RPG, and churn out games worse than the source console games.

Tiny wings improved, on a simple idea, and made it fit the iPhone. Gameloft dumbs down great console games in order to squeeze into the iPhone.

Pretty big difference, but I see the similarity.. the whole, "copy" thing,.....

17. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    All this commotion is seriously redundant! The only questions are: Is it fun? Do you like it? Does it bring something to the table that you particularly enjoy? If so, then buy it! Or don't! A compilation of numbers one way or the other pretty much tells what kind of success the game has had. People like it or people don't like it. Having fun is what games are supposed to be all about! Was it as fun as another, or not as fun as another? What else matters as a gamer?

18. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    As it's been said before by me and many others - first came Papi Jump, and was bettered by Doodle Jump.

I'd rather a good, fun, appealing game that happens to be a copy than a basic, bland game that was original.

19. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    Angry Birds is not original either, but they way that the developers designed it made it sell well. Cute graphics and cute characters sells, I.E. Cut the Rope, Angry Birds, Super Monkey Ball...ect.

Tiny Wings took an idea and altered it to the way he wanted, and it was succesful. Gameloft clones game ideas every fricking time they release a game, and they are one of the kings of iOS gaming.

20. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    #40 shyguy3, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
    It just kills me that everyone is now accusing TW of copying wavespark.

Is "angry birds" original?
    Is "doodle jump" original?
    Is "trenches" original?

Some people need to realize that originality isn't the only thing that makes a game. What is the point of creating something different if you don't have the intelligence or capacity to improve a game in terms of production?

and to the creator of "wavespark", sorry but sometimes life just isn't fair!!!