Tiny Wings not so original ;) (video proof)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by griffilms, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. griffilms

griffilms Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Thanks for the in-depth review of Space Wolves, but this post was meant as a lighthearted observation, nothing more. (look carefully in the post topic - see the wink?) :)

2. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Sorry if I sounded cruel. My intention was not to sound like an a-hole but I'm so tired of hearing the same thing over and over and over again everytime a new game app has success. I guess I let my temper get the best of me.:(

3. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    i liked space wolves better than angry birds...

4. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Sorry if I sounded cruel. My intention was not to sound like an a-hole but I'm so tired of hearing the same thing over and over and over again everytime a new game app has success. I guess I let my temper get the best of me.:(

5. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    As @ScottColbert mentioned there was no need to make a thread about this; unless of course you wanted to make a shameless plug for your own game. You say JK and have a wink emoticon in the post but that post was edited after someone else pointed out the big banner to your game which now is replaced with the rankings and your game higher than Tiny Wings. I don't know what country that was from but I doubt it is the same now. So maybe you should take that down too huh?

We get you are trying to advertise your game and get everyone to take notice of it but you know what? YOU TOO are riding the Tiny Wings coattails by creating a thread about it that is "lighthearted" and plugging your own game every chance you can with links, banners, photos and screen captures of old iTunes rankings.

Basically in making this "lighthearted" but designed to enrage the populous thread you created an opening to continually link to your game and spam. People don't take too kindly to that around here - just look at every time you mention the words "space wolves." It is a link to your homepage. Shameless.

You made your point, shouldn't have made a thread about it, maybe this thread should be closed now.

6. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Amen to that! +1!!!

7. BlueSolarSoftware

BlueSolarSoftware Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Austin
    I won't even talk about original game ideas.

For most businesses, it's about the execution and not about doing something totally different. It's about the product quality vs your competitor. Since price isn't a factor in the iphone space, it's important to concentrate on the look, feel, and style of the game.

Look. Choose your color palette, art style (cartoony, realistic, geometric, etc.), and create some characters!

Feel. This is how the game plays and feels to you, and does it make you want to play it again. One of the original endless platformers from the 80s is 'Moon Patrol' in which you jumped over craters, boulders, and shot down aliens. The feel of the game was terrible; I couldn't understand how this could ever be any fun. Fast forward 30 years, and yea... It's the same game idea/mechanic, but the feel is so different.

Style. This is all the extra stuff that just 'kicks it up a notch' as a certain chef would say. It certainly include special effects like explosions, glass crashing down, and leaves rustling in the wind. But it includes more like presentation and setting. Do things tie in with each other and make sense, or is it a bunch of random things thrown together. As an example, the lines become hills, the circle becomes a bird, and the idea revolves around a bird trying to use the hills as a launching pad to lift off and fly.

8. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Totally agree!

9. griffilms

griffilms Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Sorry if this thread enrages you, Populous. :rolleyes: but thanks for the mention of Space Wolves! Every little helps! ;)

Royston.