To buy or to wait. That is a question.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by klink, Jul 23, 2015.

?

When a new game comes out, do you prefer to buy it immediately or wait a while?

1. Buy!

40 vote(s)
    46.0%
  2. Wait!

47 vote(s)
    54.0%
  1. KakitaMike

KakitaMike Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 27, 2010
    Ohio
    When it comes to mobile, I pretty much add it to my appshopper wishlist and wait for a sale. Monster strike and final fantasy record keeper are pretty much all I need, so i'm never in any rush, or lacking something to play.

On console/PC, if it's a game with a much of paid DLC announced before launch (lego, batman, etc) I wait for a goty edition. But some games with online components (destiny, forza) or games i'm just chomping at the bit for (tomb raider, witcher), because I don't always have a console game to play, I buy at launch.

2. Benste

Benste Active Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I will usually wait for your review to buy a game. If it gets 5 stars, I’ll usually buy it right away, but if the reviews aren’t amazing I’ll usually wait til it goes on sale. Unless I’ve been waiting for the game to release forever then I’ll just buy it.

3. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I buy when it's new and hot but only after someone from TA posts a gameplay video. That's one of the absolute best resources of TA and why I come to this site daily. I also watch for the Maglor instabuy cat! Lol

Billy

4. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    I have a huge backlog and not a lot of time on my hands, so typically unless I'm really excited about something I add it to my appshopper wishlist and wait for a big update or a sale. There are plenty of games I get excited about and buy instantly though, like transistor, heroes and castles 2, and a bunch of others.

I understand that everyone wants to support the devs and buy everything day 1, but for someone going to be in debt for the next 10 years from school, sales are very helpful and typically get me playing games I wouldn't be playing otherwise.

5. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    There is no easy answer for me. It depends on several things like do I know the developer makes games I love or not and stuff like that. A big one for me is really if its my type of game or not. If its a loot game with several classes I am probably buying that straight up. If its a match 3 puzzle type of game I might pass on it only to get it a few weeks later on sale.

6. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    4 years ago I bought 5 games a week, now its just one and sometimes two.

Because their are so many the same genres and same type of games, its hard to find something original.

And im playing King Of Thieves for almost a half year now and there Goes all my game money at atm.

Only buying something original.

7. mindmagicgames

mindmagicgames Active Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Game Developer
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I always buy as soon as it hits the store. Personally, I like seeing the progress of an app and watching the new features roll in or balance tweaking made.

Watching updates will also tell you whether or not the developer is active in updating their apps. If they provide updates regularly, I'm more apt to buy from them in the future. It gives me more confidence in their products.

Plus, if it's only $0.99, I don't have that much to lose.

8. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Some of us can afford $400+ devices BECAUSE we dont spend money on every nice looking app that comes along

9. oldsnake

oldsnake Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    I buy Immediately At Launch Day.Same on Consoles,but on iOS then I've hundreds Games never played,and to be Honest lot of them I think I will never played.I like Play a Game for a while,everything the game has to offer,unlock everything,all GAMECENTER Achievements,and so on.

10. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I definitely buy A LOT more games on release than I did before I became a TA forum member. Part of that is knowing what's new sooner, but it's also great to be exploring a new game together with other for members.

More generally...

Things that make me buy soon:
    * Favourite developer
    * Launch sales
    *Positive previews/early reviews

Things that make me wait:
    *Lack of early info
    *Lack of time to play (if I'm already stuck into a few games)
    * Games which need to be played in longer sessions. I tend to save these up for when I know I'll have time to spend a good chunk of time to play, like a flight or a long train journey. Her Story and Prune are on my Wish List at the moment for that reason.
    * Overcrowded genres. E.g. Alto's Adventure sat on my wishlist for the longest time because I didn't feel like I needed another endless runner.
    *Price. Obviously I'm more likely to risk wasting $1on a game I'm unsure about than $10. I'm more likely to wait for reviews/feedback on a dearer game.

11. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Either/or.

The games I want the MOST I buy at once. (Also sometimes a title I find myself rooting for and want to boost their success right now before I forget.)

But I download a LOT of games... they aren't all in that top tier of desire, and I don't always have time to play everything right away anyway. So there are also games I bookmark in AppShopper, grabbing them later on sale (and the sale serves as an auto-reminder that the game even exists).

I don't feel bad buying on sale*: I spend the same amount in the market. I just spread myself thinner, buying more games!

(* Well, if the sale is FREE and the game is really awesome, I do feel a little bad... but I put my money towards some other worthy indie title. Hopefully it all balances out!)

12. Kallizm

Kallizm Active Member

Dec 21, 2013
    e-Learning Designer
    Indianapolis, IN
    My interest in games is so damn wide that I mostly wait for deals because I know I'll never really finish many of the ones I buy. The amount of new titles I want vs the amount of time I have to play is grossly disproportionate. If TA gives something very high praise however I usually impulse buy it that day.

13. Shiatama_0

Shiatama_0 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Play all the free games that come out on Wednesdays. I always wait for games to go free because i got burned so many times in the past that i bought a game on release and then a few days later it's free.

14. Dema9o9ue

Dema9o9ue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jan 16, 2015
    I will buy right away if the price is right and/or it's a game I've really been waiting for.

For example, Adventures of Pip. I'm not a big platformer fan. I've read the reviews, seen the videos and it just doesn't look like my cup of tea. But if the price dropped to $1.99 or less I would give it a shot because the reviews have been so good. Maybe it would be the one platformer on ios I'd really like.

However, games like Bastion, Transistor, Bioshock, X-Com, YMBAB I bought at full price on release because I know I will enjoy the game.

I like supporting publishers, but I don't have the money to support every publisher. I have to weigh out my choices and some games just don't make the cut for me to buy at full price.

However, I do really enjoy it when developers include a way to tip them, or they make IAP that are really there just to give them extra money. Smarter than You had a great tipping function built into the game. I used it several times because I enjoyed the game and knew that my money was going towards the development of YMBAB.

If Desert Golfing had an IAP tip function I'd probably use it once a week.

15. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    If it's something I really want I get it immediately if it's something I'm not that bothered about I wait until a sale or until I get bored and remember I quite fancied it depending on which comes first.

16. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    If it's a game I've been tracking, I'll buy it immediately. Frequently I get burned by price drops, but w/e. If it is a game that surprises me, I'll monitor it and wait. 90% chance it will drop in price or go free. (See: Divide by Sheep, Gunpowder) I try to buy games though at full price when I can. I've definitely spent well over $100 on the app store.

17. TrueBlou

TrueBlou Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Software Developer - witenoiz.com
    Scotland
    If it's a game I'm really interested in and looking forward to I just buy it as soon as it's released.

Sure at some point it'll probably end up in a sale but by then I'll have had lots of enjoyment out of it.
    The way I look at it its no different to me than home console games. When a new one comes out that I want, i buy it. Several weeks or months later it's on sale.

It's always been that way with console/pc gaming so I don't really expect much else from my iOS purchases. Not to mention that the AppStore is a difficult market to operate in. So I don't mind supporting the developers I like when they release a new game. Every little helps them to keep going and keep making the games I (hopefully) want to buy.

(No I'm not being biased because I make the odd game, I'm saying this as a consumer.)

18. dedyp79

dedyp79 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    All depends on your money spare condition, we all here love games, we all want to play that great games...but not everyone who loves game can afford to buy all great games every week...i know that feelings when you want that game but you can't buy it because you already spend that money last week...but hey i have so many great games which i never finish it...so today i will thinking wise for buying any great games..and now the time to finish all my games one by one :)

19. squirpe

squirpe Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Software Developer
    Honolulu, HI
    If it's a release of a game I've been really looking forward to, or is a game that I know already to be brilliant (like Pacman Championship DX) from past plays, then I buy it as soon as I can. I'll often take a quick glance in the forums to see user feedback.

Otherwise , I'll wait. I have so many games to play, there is no rush. Even then I'll only buy games on sale if they are particularly good. There is always a chance they will go free as well.

20. hincy89

hincy89 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2011
    I'm conflicted between both instabuy and waiting for sales, and have recently stuck to this rule:

If it's looks like a great game I'm interested in them instabuy, unless it's a port form steam and I have already purchase/completed it then I wait for a sale (unless I can't wait anymore/launch sale/good launch price)