Universal Toast Time (by Force of Habit)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 5, 2014.

1. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Currently I'm at the top of the survival boards.
    Shhhhh there's only three people there at the moment but 1st is 1st right?

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

How do you perform that shockwave ground slam? Haven't figured out a consistent way

3. forceofhabit

forceofhabit Well-Known Member

Gotta get from right at the top of the screen to the bottom/ground platform in under 3 seconds or so. Intentionally didn't explain that one in-game - there's joy in discovery. :)

4. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I love to get surprises like that, exploring around, discovering things... it gives some depth and when you discover this it changes the way you play for the better. Dont want everything told before hand that would make it half interesting!

5. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    #45 Jrec15, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    Ok i've only played about ~45 minutes total but here's my take:
    Toast lovers rejoice, the game is terrific! IMO it offers very unique and awesome gameplay, great pixel graphics, challenging levels, game center leaderboards AND global (cross platform it seems) leaderboards, loads of customization & new weapons, and most important to me: a near perfect endless mode! Endless modes are very, very important to me in terms of replayability. No endless means eventually there is no reason to play. No need to worry here though! Working your way through the levels with 1 life is a great arcade experience and extremely challenging! My only recommendation in this regard is that it might be better to have the leaderboards in terms of score, rather than time. When they are time based, there is no incentive to keep combos going that i know of, and i feel like there should be.

Now a couple of questions:
    - What does "coffee time" do? I think it's a bonus mode you get into after a long combo, but what bonus does it give you?
    - What should i aim for to three star levels? I like to know the specific goals i have to meet, but without that i'm just wondering if it is based off crates or score.

Overall, highly recommend the game and cant wait to play more :)

Edit: forgot to mention i also think i found a glitch. After playing survival, when submitting my score to the global leaderboards, i tried to edit my name. At that screen i could only get the number keyboard to pop up, and thus couldnt include any letters. Not sure if it is a repeated problem or a one time thing

6. forceofhabit

#46 forceofhabit, Feb 6, 2014
    YAY. Another lovely little review. It's making us really happy that everybody is enjoying it! We're just two guys creating from our bedrooms, so this is awesome. :)

Coffee time makes the combo meter stick at that number 20/40/60/80 for the duration of the bonus. It also makes all bread bounce off the sides of the screen - so you can shoot at the sky and make it rain doughy greatness.

For 3 stars, it's a mixture of score AND number of crates. A good score comes from a good combo (hence coffee time), and crates will fall more often if use your ammo quicker.

Yup - genuine glitch. We'll have this fixed in version 1.02. We were lucky enough to have 1.01 approved an hour before it went live here in the UK. That update removed a debug "unlock all" button that was left in totally by accident - whoops.

Edit: the survival mode by score thing... it was actually like that originally (during development) but we wanted it to be a test of endurance over a test of skill. The data is all stored online, just not by gamecenter, so it might make it's way through in a future update. :D

7. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Thanks that clears up alot! Also one more question about survival, what happens if you beat all the levels? Is that it, meaning i was kind of wrong in calling it endless, and there is a max time to achieve? Or does the game go on in some manner (start over for instance)? Hoping for the latter!

8. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Yeah that thing is a pain. When you pay those things, I recommend Toast Time with all my heart :)

9. forceofhabit

That's a challenge! It does end, and you get the trophy for it, but the likelihood of you reaching the end is... near impossible. We ran the win/fail statistics after the Android release and it's a ridiculously small 0.000 - 100 zeroes - 0001. :p

10. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    #50 Jrec15, Feb 6, 2014
    Hmmm okay i think i can live with that! I can see how getting to the end would be very, very difficult :)

11. forceofhabit

A review just came in from 148apps.

12. Bronxsta

0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001
    ;)

It'll happen, people here are crazy skilled like that

13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While clearly inspired by Super Crate Box, I'm loving it's twisted combined weapon/movement mechanic. To keep that hot combo going are you going to shoot at the baddies or off in some other direction to give yourself better positioning?

5/5

14. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Completed the first world with 3 stars in each level, discovered Iron Man mode and its indeed quite amazing, 5 stars is not enough for this gem. This is getting a lot of competition with Threes! for game time with me, but Toast Time its a bit ahead.

Damn, I got 3 extremely good games this week! (Toast Time, Three! and Platforms Unlimited as well... and the beta for Trials of Glork, and I say with total confidence that it already belongs on my top game of that genre along with Super Crossfire or Velocispider). And all of them without IAP or pay-to-win mechanics! :)

15. Bronxsta

I'm in the boat as Frost, I'm going through the first world, attempting to three star each level, only have the final one left to do. And what I like is that I can see that I'm improving compared to when I first played through the levels, able to string together longer combos, time shots more precisely, maneuver better. I think that's the mark of a great game, where progression isn't earned through upgrading abilities but by improving your own skills

16. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #56 Andy C83, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    Agree with Frosty, Lord Gek, Bronx and anyone else singing this game's praises. I completed the first World with 3 stars and Toast Time is just the perfect arcade game. The controls, music and gameplay come together to make something rather special.

There are 8 5 star ratings on the UK App Store, which is nice to see.

17. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Why do I have the only review in the App Store?

18. forceofhabit

Apparently the game is in "best new" in the US, but not over here where I can see it. :D Thanks everyone.
    [​IMG]

There are some others on the UK page, but yeah, if you've said nice things here you might as well copy and paste there. That would be AMAZING.

19. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    It's the same place I reviewed it in the link, I just said great game and to support yall etc..

This game has a steep difficulty curve around level 3-4 ( I still enjoy the challenge but it was dang frustrating beating lvl 23 our Stevie, more toast. That's level where it gets hard, took me forever)