TOFTA - Take One for TouchArcade

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Arashi541, Jul 27, 2011.

1. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    #21 gunxsword, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
    New rules to prevent exploitation of this thread and the service it provides:

1.The requested game must have a thread with at least [insert number] members showing interest in the game. This is to maximize the benefit of TOFTT and prevent it from being used for personal means.
    2. The request must be made AFTER all attempts to gather information about a game fails to give the player a good description of the game. That means Google, forums (not just TA), review sites, and also checking customer feedback of the app store (ALWAYS check the US app store, it's got more users and potentially reviews).

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Regarding Airport Mania 2, I found it to be a better than average time management game with frantic pacing and a decent upgrade system. Not my typical style but it was one of the better time management games I've played, recommended for $0.99 if screenshots appeal to your taste.

3. ProtoEclipse

ProtoEclipse Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
  4. legowiz

legowiz Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    I'd like to request one. The game is called Copter Hero and is $2.99. Here is the thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=101648&highlight=copter+hero. It hasn't gotten much recognition yet and I've been curious since it's release but it's a little steep for me without any impressions. I'll understand if no one wants to do it, but it would be appreciated :)

P.S. I'm not the developer, just an interested potential buyer.

5. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I would like to TOFTA things :) Got 12$ left I think :) But I will only TOFTA small megabyte games as I'm low on space!

6. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    What a good idea for a thread. :p

7. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

Thanks undeadcow for the review and gunxsword for the new rules! Im handing the reins of this thread to crex as I am leaving today but im sure hell do a great job!

8. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Thx for the thread btw! Will be doing some TOFTAing today for Mad Wheels, Gesundheit and Roboto...

9. Lazer

Lazer Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    It'd be great for posters that requested a TOFTA to update their posts if/when they have someone TOFTAing so that we know what's been taken and what hasn't.

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I second this request. Especially if the person has also played Nintendo's Picross 3D. I haven't played that either, but I'd like to know how they compare anyway.

11. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    That's a great idea! :)

12. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    So, now that I'm in charge, I'd like to help somebody by TOFTA this second. If yo have a $0.99 - $1.99 game that you want me to TOFTA, tell me now.

I'd TOFTA on Pixross, but it doesn't look like my kind of game.

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    OK, I'm in a good mood, so I'll TOFTA Pixross as it was on my wish list anyway. ;)

Put me down as TOFTA member at large - I like puzzle/physics/strategy/board/card and train/tank games. ;)

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    pixross - The 3D Picross

I'm a couple of puzzles in and it's so-so.

It's Picross in 3D and works how you'd expect it except for the addition of underlined numbers, which indicate a gap. A row with 2 1 in it might be an underlined 3. Double underline means there are two gaps. (i.e. 1 1 1 for a double underlined 3)

The graphics and sound are functional but not good. The sound glitches out, especially when performing an operation on multiple blocks. This is probably due to all devices back to first-gen being supported.

There are 100 puzzles, and I'll have to see how far I can get before the UI drives me nuts. The main problem is that the game flow is not consistent. One nice item is that you can select multiple blocks and hit delete (boy I was happy when I found that out!) but... you have to do the opposite to mark blocks as keepers (i.e. select save, then the blocks) Really awkward is that you can have a block selected, then choose keep and it doesn't keep anything, you then have to choose blocks. Also keep/select mode goes away if you are rotating the cubes, so if are moving things a bit to grab a few more blocks, you have to remember to hit the select button again. There are a few shortcuts where you double-tap to delete/etc. but after a few mistakes (you get three per puzzle) I found those to be too untrustworthy to use.

The way the view/UI is designed, it's impossible to delete completely surrounded cubes, so puzzles will be limited somewhat by this. Also it looks like there are only 5x5 and 6x6 cubes to play with. It really made me wish there was an interface like Match 3D Flick Puzzle (an oldie, but a goodie) to work with the individual layers to make for some serious puzzles.

Also, when you finish a puzzle, the cubes spin & dance (unnecessarily, IMHO) and then color themselves to match a picture - like many Picross games do - except it doesn't orient the picture to be upright, you have to spin it around. Minor niggle, but takes away from the presentation, especially when the intended orientation of the object is not obvious!

Giving it 2/5 stars. Tempted to give it 3, but it needs some serious UI work and/or a graphics overhaul for modern devices to be in the 3-4 star range for a $2 game.

15. Ap0calypse

Ap0calypse Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Timeshift or silentOps, anyone?

16. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    I believe enough has been said for SO. Check the thread, it won't take long to come to a conclusion.

17. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Thanks for putting me on platformers! I can also TOFTA most of sports games as that's my favourite genre!

18. TouchChatterbox

TouchChatterbox Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    #38 TouchChatterbox, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
    Happy to do some TOFTAtion for pretty much anything - particularly games with interesting art styles or game mechanisms. So add me to the list! :)

19. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for being active and starting to TOFTA people's games. Sorry I am not updating the main post but I didn't bring my computer. I'll start TOFTA"ing stuff and updating the main post on Sunday afternoon.

20. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    The mods should sticky this for more exposure. It's a pretty good idea imho