TOFTA - Take One for TouchArcade

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Arashi541, Jul 27, 2011.

1. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I am a avid gamer ... so ask, I might have already bought it :D

2. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

Anyone need me to TOFTA?

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
  4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    That Was my request. Now I can TOFTA hedgehog Adventure if anyone wants.

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Hiya!

I've played through about half of it and, so far, the overall impression is quite decent: The game is simple and good fun, with no glaring omissions that I noticed.

Only two minor gripes though - there are sound effects but no music and the puzzles (so far) haven't been very challenging. That's not to say they aren't fun, which they are, just that I finished the first 10 in half an hour.

I'll play some more and possibly update if the experience changes, but so far it's good fun!

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Thanks for TOFTA! Sounds fun, I'm about to go for it, but I'll still see your later impressions.

7. RyanGibbard

RyanGibbard Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Student
    Cheltenham, England
    I was just coming to this thread to ask if anyone would TOFTA Hedgehog Adventure! So yes, do it!

8. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Okay here it is.

-----------------------------------

The game is a pretty simple platform game. But one thing that I noticed right after completing the first level I noticed the HUGE similarity to Red Devil that's also on iTunes. From level design to obstacles, heck even the treasure on some level gives you the drag and drop box! Even tho it's very much a like, maybe even a copy, the sounds and graphics are very much different, but imho, better than in red devil. The game itself is sometimes hard and you will die quite a few times, but somehow I couldn't put this down until level 14, so it was pretty addicting.

It's a good platform game for a buck, I would give it 4 stars as it was still fun despite the fact that it copied Red Devil, but it still improved from that! But when I looked Hare's(dev of Red Devil) games, Hedgehog Adventure was there! No wonder the dude copied RD as it's his own game! Great game after realizing that fact.

9. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    OK, I'm new to this thread, so if I forget something, just let me know. :)
    TOFTA:
    Requiem
    First person platformer
    0.99, just released
    Here's the link:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/requiem/id447689182?ls=1&mt=8
    Note: I'll be away today, so please PM me your impressions so they don't get lost in this thread. Thanks.

10. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    #90 Echoseven, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
    Played a bit more (of Greedy Bones) in between dinner and other things - and over long term play still no issues came up.

There is no pause button, but that was a nonissue as it simply resumed when I came back.

It's a fun ride while it lasts - but unfortunately it doesn't last as long as I'd like it to. Still, good game in my opinion. :D

Edit:
    In summary - great game, a bit short, no music. (with sfx though).

EDIT3:

Just got it, will post impressions tomorrow morning (midnight here now), unless someone does it first.

EDIT4: (sucks posting at this time - lots of editing to avoid double-posting)

The file size is huge!

11. Arashi541

Thank you so much Echoseven for being active in this thread and TOFTAing games for people. Your well on your way to being a TOFTA MVP so keep up the good work. Im available to TOFTA a game from now to 1:30.:D

12. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    You get my PM?

Edit: You must have :p

How you know i like flight sim???

Ill play any game so you might as well put all ;)

13. RyanGibbard

RyanGibbard Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Student
    Cheltenham, England
    Thanks! Imma go buy it right now, I haven't played Red Devil anyway :D

14. Arashi541

You told me about your love of flight sims in an pm.:D

15. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Oh yeh :p. PS: Go to the vote post, INSM wants to know if you would like to change your vote :D

16. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    #96 Echoseven, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
    No problem! I'm in a bit of a rut right now, all the games I have are amazing, but by now they've been played and replayed into oblivion. This is a great chance to try out something new and maybe discover the next must-have.

I'm going to try something different from standard for this - I kept a running diary as I went through the game, so here it is with a summary at the end!

Initial impressions: (Starting game - first level)
    Overly sensitive controls
    Great art style
    Tiny hitbox for stars
    White flash after every cutscene - annoying
    Music / sound is very nice

Intermediate impressions: (About an hour and a half in - halfway through)
    Music change - awesome
    Tiny hitbox. Still.
    White flashes after cutscenes - irritating

Late impressions: (Last level by now, next morning)
    Twitchy (sensitive) controls, after taking a break
    Still digging the art

Now, for the write-up:

You play as a boy in a nightmare, running from a big scary thing through a dream city.
    It is characteristic of an endless runner more than a platformer - think Run Like Hell in first person, minus the "endless" part. There are 10 defined stages with many stars and an occasional hidden item. The item isn't as much hidden as hard-to-get, but that's beside the point.
    After you complete each level in either available difficulty (beginner or advanced) you are shown how many stars you collected out of how many there were - standard deal - but after you exit that screen you never see it again, kinda defeating the point. For better or for worse, you can simply ignore the stars and concentrate on finishing before you get eaten.

This is the part where the game truly shines, the atmosphere is simply amazing. You can run forward and turn left and right, but there's no way to turn around, adding to the "feel". There is also a definite progression to the levels - the background shifts as you progress forward. I was playing at night with headphones (which is why the white flashes after cutscenes were irritating) and the bleak visuals combine with music, grunts, growling, etc to make an awesome experience broken only by the occasional time you faceplant into a crate.

Which brings up my biggest area of complaint - I found the controls either just a tad too sensitive, or just not sensitive enough. A sensitivity slider would do wonders here.

Two things left, difficulty and bonus levels! As I mentioned before, there are Beginner and Advanced versions of the levels - with the Advanced being quite difficult and requiring more precision, while Beginner CAN be difficult but aren't, for the most part. Nearer the end I couldn't help but feel like some pits were placed just so that they couldn't be seen, leading to a few "cheap" failures, but these are few.

The four bonus levels are unlocked when you complete a corresponding "story" level and pick up the required number of collectibles - one for the first bonus, two for the second, so on. you use these to "purchase" a run through the bonus level, making you play the story missions to get more.
    I only played through the first one, for a reason I'll mention later, but you control a Pegasus automatically flying forward through formations of stars. The steering controls here are tilt-based and inverted with no way to change - I spent the first half of the level dragged through the edge before getting figuring it out.

There are achievements for completing each level and collecting "x" stars and a GameCenter leaderboard for your lifetime stars collected. As a side note here, switching a lot between the note app and the game, my collected collectibles somehow disappeared and at one point the lifetime star count stopped counting, stuck at 214.

Overall, a very atmospheric game, very pretty and quite well done. The controls are a bit of a let down, but not to the point of being unplayable and you do get used to them eventually. I would say it's worth the dollar, but I wouldn't buy it for more than that just yet.

EDIT: It's also quite large, a 250 mb download. You decide if that matters to you.

17. jshorcutt

jshorcutt Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    High School Newspaper(Crimson Newsmag) Sports Co-E
    Paso Robles, CA
    anybody got any little puzzlers for me to TOFTA?

18. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bags TOFT'ing Cut the Rope: Experiments So keep around for my impressions of it Later today (US Time)

19. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    It's not a TOFTA if everyone will be playing it at the same time. :p

I'll be one of the very few that won't, though, and I'll appreciate your opinions!

20. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Sure thing :D

That's why i bagged TOFT'ing it :p