Universal Tomb Raider (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Dec 16, 2013.

1. YellowHat

YellowHat Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    #281 YellowHat, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    Even though controls are very bad, I didn't care about them until I reached a section that requires lots of timing (in the Colosseum level). That was very frustrating but I managed to beat it after many tries.

Now... what were they thinking when they programmed the menus? Every time I have to load or save or edit the controls, I get extremely angry.

2. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    That's kind of how I felt. I think they did a decent job of porting over the old controls. The old TR controls were never that great to begin with. Lara controlled like a tank. Sure, it would have been nice to be able to swipe to change the camera view. That was the only real issue I had. Other than that, it's playable even on the iPod 5G. It looks a hell of a lot better compared to the Vita version which is a straight port of the original.

3. Sestion

Sestion Member

Jan 20, 2013
    If they can port this, they can port Final Fantasy VII. Sorry if it's unrelated, but I don't see how it's "not doable" /end rant.

4. No control issues. I'm at the tomb level now (with the three rooms with their trials). They just take getting used to.

Sestion: They don't mean on a hardware level, they mean a financial level.

5. YellowHat

Feb 7, 2013
    Frustration level: 9000 at least.

[​IMG]

I expect less than 1% of the players to beat this section.

6. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Yeah, that was a tough section. I remember it from my pc.

7. David1953

David1953 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    Ah, yes, I most certainly do remember that section from the PC version of the game when I played it in 1997, and in fact, that section is the number one reason that I decided to hold off on purchasing the iPad version. If it was difficult on the PC, I cannot even imagine completing it on an iPad.

8. YellowHat

Feb 7, 2013
    I'm not sure how I managed to beat that section.

9. David1953

David1953 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    What I remember as being the most difficult was that fourth pillar being positioned a little to the right of the other ones, so two sideways/ angled steps/jumps were required. The whole sequence was under a timer as well, naturally.

10. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Not sure how useful it is to anyone, but you can turn while running by using the sidestep buttons. I just played this on PS1. I noticed the music is missing in this version.

11. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    That's a bummer.It was a beautiful soundtrack.It was spare but that made it even more intense when it kicked in.

Anyway,i'm not gonna buy this because of the controls.

12. Reminds me, I gotta try this with my icade, wonder how it is.

13. <TOAST>

<TOAST> New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    So really all tomb raider needs is an update to its controls - add a virtual slider button for movement and it will be way easier to control. Maybe someone can contact SE and see if a fix is on the way? I played it for 30mins on ipad mini and its a good game just crap controls atm.

14. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    I really would like to love this game on iOS but I just can't because of the controls. I know, that the controls were not very "soft" on the PlayStation but with a physical controller it would be way easier. It's hard to not get frustrated because of this. A hard game is one thing. A hard game because of not optimized controls another.

15. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Lol i remember beating this on PC but mainly because of the quick save anywhere/anytime feature. Never beat it on the PS1 though

16. rapaleeman

rapaleeman Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Played a little of this last week and this morning. Reminds me of the versions I had on my Compaq Pocket PC and the N-Gage (outside of the PSX classic of course).

The Pocket PC version had a little D-pad thing at the bottom that ended up on the left when you turned it to the side. The rest of the controls were touch screen like this but a lot less manageble since that touch screen was garbage.

The N-Gage version was the same as the PSX variant but it had crappy controls thanks to the stupid layout of the buttons/moves and terrible tactile feedback. I remember Lara had a different outfit in that one even though it was remake of the first game (ie this one as well). She had a black top and black shorts which at the time was the same one she wore in the awful PS2 game Angel of Darkness.

Anyway, the controls are bad but not as bad as I expected. Fun for a buck but I doubt I'll play through this game again. I'll probably play through chapter 3 (that's the t-rex level if I remember correctly) because well dinosaurs but I will probably have enough of the controls after the stupid cog puzzle at the end of that section that I'll give up.

17. Gotoma

Gotoma Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Just beated that section after so much headache. However, when I went to put the stones in their place the game got stuck at the menu after selecting the stone. So i guess it's a dead end for me. Bummer because I liked it and it's my first time playing it. :(

18. IceAce

IceAce Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Hi puppies! Could someone explain me how to play tomby w/ icade?
    I have searched in every menu but I dont know how to do it

Ah, I m new, and I m very happy to joim the family! :)))))

19. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    For the post above about the icade

20. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    The ION Mobile arrives and turns out, this needs 8 buttons to go...

Definitely more smooth when using iCade where you can turn without stopping.