Topia: Make a cool world contest! $100 iTunes Card

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by JoshCM, Oct 12, 2012.

1. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    That is very cool

2. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    is that a Logan's Run reference? :)

3. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    I never saw Logan's Run, but after browsing, I definitely can see the similarities.
    Thanks for picking me as the winner!!!

4. Theisos

Theisos Active Member

Oct 3, 2012
    #44 Theisos, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
    So, the guy using the comic maker app wins? If I had known better, I would have whipped out Photoshop and did a ten page comic about a planet being created from the collision of two planets and being seeded with life from a meteor. I'm being sarcastic. It's silly that this is the outcome. If the winner has to be the "lost world" creator then choose Tea777. His hidden world is natural, creative and imaginative. His only mistake was not using a comic maker app or Photoshop or Adobe Premiere...

5. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The initial post was never clear about any of the rules, sadly. Oh well, the thread still has some really cool creations. I think my favorite was the Ensnared World with the spider, extremely well done.

6. Theisos

Theisos Active Member

Oct 3, 2012
    #46 Theisos, Oct 17, 2012
    There were no rules. You are correct. What this comic app submission does is violate the "spirit" of the competition. No one else used additional apps as I suspect everyone thought that their creations would be judged, as opposed to the way they presented their creations. The planet in the comic app doesn't compare to the others created. The artistic value was contributed by the comic app. If everyone else taking part went down this road, the outcome would have been very different.

7. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Phew glad I didn't enter dodged a bullet there

8. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    It's also disappointing that they haven't made the actual announcement themselves. It would be nice to hear from them why they overlooked highly creative entries which used the tools within the app in outstanding ways to weigh in favor of something that introduced creativity using an outside source to thematically spice up an entry.

9. Theisos

Theisos Active Member

Oct 3, 2012
    #49 Theisos, Oct 17, 2012
    I agree. The winning entry was a very ugly planet wrapped up in a comic! If the preference here was for a natural looking planet that is also amazing to look at then Tea777's entry wins by far. The case was always that the winner would also have to fall in favour of the tastes of the "judge(s)" but the winning entry is beyond redemption even here, if you consider just the planet. The thinking behind the winning selection borders on stupidity. I expected people like shield or tea to win. Those are people who demonstrated a significant amount of skill and creativity.

10. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Hi Theisos, I'm sad to hear that you think that I'm violating the "spirit" of the competition. I have to make a defense. I made the creation based on what the first post says," Ok so all you need to do is get Topia World Builder, start building, and post your pics here. Make it interesting, unique, cool, artsy, whatever!"

As a filmmaker, I think a cool world is good when there's something happens within the world. I want to explain it the way iAnimex did, but I think presenting it visually in a comic is good. There's no photoshop or edited pic in the comic. I just captured the screen and arrange it in a comic form (just like others presenting the pics one by one).

I don't know why they don't announce the winner in this post, but I have to say that I use all the tools within the app to create my entry. I use the close up feature, I use the animal feature, and everything, I think I even highlight everything that Topia can do.

Maybe it's a matter of taste, but I think my planet is beautiful. I made it with a concept in my head. The "Sanctuary planet" is shaped like a calla lily with an inverted stalk.
    [​IMG] [​IMG].
    The petals is the paradise and the stigma (the base of the inverted stalk) is the sanctuary. It has "great wall" leaves that separates them and is shaped like the sanctuary itself.
    [​IMG]
    From behind, the paradise and the sanctuary are visible, but not reachable (like the saying the grass is always greener on the other side). That's why the other side is wide, big, and green while the sanctuary is small and isolated.

Visually, it may not be as graphic as the other but my planet is definitely suit for the rule : "interesting, unique, cool, artsy". I have to defense myself since I make the world in about 4 hours and I don't want people to judge it as a cheat.

11. Theisos

Theisos Active Member

Oct 3, 2012
    ?

Why? It's your submission. Of course you're going to defend it. I'd rather see someone else try to defend your terrible submission.

We all made entries based on what the first post said. You decided to interpret that in any way you wanted. You submitted a comic while the rest of us submitted pictures of what we did. If only the rest of us had your terrible comprehension skills.

You must be a terrible "film maker." Based on the terrible narrative in your submission, I would have never suspected that this was the case.

iAnimex's work was just as good as yours. Unfortunately, iAnimex didn't own a comic making app like yours and wasn't able to even tie with you for the prize. He worked within the spirit of the competition and produced his best using just the tools of the app, while you used whatever you could to edge him out.

I don't care about the concept work. The execution was terrible. As a "film maker" you should understand exactly what I'm talking about. Maybe you're not spending enough time thinking about your craft. Your concept work means nothing after your final product is done.

You're correct. The devs loved the taste of that comic. How do you feel knowing that you've cheated some of the better submissions here using that comic app?

You are so very correct. Well...as correct as you can be with that kind of English.

I'm a graphic designer and software developer. Not a phantom film maker like you. It's my job (has been for over a decade) to build things that look good. Your submission would never make it into my top ten list.

12. picohero

picohero Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2012
    #52 picohero, Oct 17, 2012
    Guys, can't we be nice? Was he using the comic app to win the money, or just for fun?

13. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I can't speak for Josh but I chose Agas's world, not just for the comic book effect but because he seemed to have taken the time to build a nice looking world.

To be honest I was worried about the whole comp because I thought the fake topology would become obvious to a bunch of people trying to model earthÂ…

14. Theisos

Theisos Active Member

Oct 3, 2012
    o_O

We all took time to build a nice looking worlds. I wish I got money for spending time designing UIs that I then have to trash because they're not good enough. Going by your logic, nearly all of us deserve to win had we also used a comic app. Hell...going by your logic, I should have used Photoshop to build a two page comic with multiple terrible Topia worlds...I would have won not only this contest, but every contest on this forum that I didn't enter. Time does not somehow result in something being of magnificent quality. Your logic baffles me. You should be ashamed.

15. Theisos

Theisos Active Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Money. The prize was $100 app store credit.

16. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Right, he was posting in the thread with "$100 iTunes Card" in the title for fun. The thing is, his entry isn't as disappointing as much as the decision to crown that entry.

Wow... that's a brutal assessment of everyone else's work in the thread. I guess the rest of us just slapped something together in five minutes without putting any real creative thought into it. I would've thought you would appreciate the beautiful work some of us created with your engine, rather than the one narrative created with a different app.

17. Theisos

Theisos Active Member

Oct 3, 2012
    #57 Theisos, Oct 17, 2012
    I agree with this. I spent over two hours on some of my entries and more than four hours on entries that I didn't bother submitting. I also only worked with one app. If only I had a comic app that I could use to spend an additional 15 minutes on my submission... I wouldn't call that assessment brutal though. It stinks of bias.

18. picohero

picohero Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2012
    This is a crappy situation, but I will say it is said and done and we should move on.

19. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I probably shouldn't be participating with someone who is quite clearly determined to read the worst into whatever I say but here goes anyway...

What I meant was, I've been playing with those rathet limited build tools, the fractal generator and some slightly odd shaders for over a year now. My goal to make it possible for people to make natural looking levels. I voted the way I did because the land beyond the wall was one of the prettiest in the competition. I admit I may have been a little swayed by the presentation but its insulting to the winner, Josh and me to suggest that entry had no merit beuond the comic style presentation.

20. Theisos

Theisos Active Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Really? You're being called out for insinuating that we spent no time on what we did and he's reading the worst into whatever you say? Did someone throw you at a wall when you were born?