"Tower Defense" is now up for CP Infringement

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by slashandburn, Jan 22, 2010.

1. toddmoore

toddmoore Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Idea Guy
    VA, USA
    I've been down this road and let me give you a little advice... 1. Contact Com2uS. 2. Work out a mutual agreement. 3. Contact Apple and tell them you have worked out an agreement.

That is the best you can hope for even though you are 100% right in the matter... Resolve it outside of Apple and let Apple know it was resolved.

Cheers,
    Todd

2. slashandburn

slashandburn Active Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Birmingham, Al
    I know that's the reasonable answer, but from comments posted in the article point to com2us pushing USA developers to not use Tower Defense in their names, and my games are hardly making enough to bribe com2us to hush up, so I still think it's time to come up with a new phrase and leave Tower Defense in the dog house of shame.

3. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Talked to Com2uS, they just told me to leave it alone - their legal people will sort things out if a dispute ever happens, and that slashandburn should probably just avoid the hassle and change the name.

4. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    That didn't seem to stop someone from trademarking Tower Defense in 2007 and then enforcing that mark even though it was already widely in use prior to 2007. If no one fights it to overturn the mark, their case for the mark will only get stronger.

5. slashandburn

Oct 10, 2009
    Birmingham, Al
    #45 slashandburn, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
    Like I said future versions are now labeled 2D TD, but I'm not touching the keywords, which are for search purposes only, but I still need a new generic title for the genre that only applies to the iphone platform that com2us's trademark won't interfere with.

Side note: Has anyone reached the team that makes "TowerDefense" on the app store, I would really like to know what their new name would be, "TD"? Which is another problem their name is an example of generic, it should be penguin defense, something that's unique.

6. DevL

DevL Active Member

Word of warning about your keywords; separate tower and defense, I.e put other keywords between them otherwise it'll be flagged.

7. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    It seems ridiculous changing it to "TD"

That's certainly not a term anyone's going to search for. May as well remove it altogether, or rename the game completely.

How many PC or console games have their genre in the title?

8. slashandburn

Oct 10, 2009
    Birmingham, Al
    About none of them, but they have marketing, all we have is search and iTunes promoting the game on the frontpage

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Another developer's reputation being slowly flushed away. Maybe I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they were just too stupid to realize just how common the term was in regards to being a genre.

10. M of IMAK

M of IMAK Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    iPhone App Developer
    Austin, TX
    I agree. The best time to fight the mark was when it was being considered. However, for the next 5 years it is still weak, and certainly anyone who was using the mark before they filed for the mark can continue using it. However, anyone who started using it after they filed would be risking legal action. If I were in this position, I would go ahead and file a trademark app for the full name of my app that included the 'Tower Defense' part, disclaiming a mark on 'Tower Defense' by itself.

11. M of IMAK

May 26, 2009
    iPhone App Developer
    Austin, TX
    ok, this is absolutely crazy, crazy, crazy. Anyone who gets their 'tower' and 'defense' keywords rejected should post here and also immediately contest this with Apple. Just because you succeed in getting a trademark on a genre of games doesn't give you any rights to the terms separately. Even so, using the descriptive term "tower defense" all together is an absolutely fine keyword. It's not your fault that someone spent money to register a common genre of games.

12. DevL

DevL Active Member

Perhaps I should have been more clear as to why this may be flagged - it wasn't a random suggestion:

An update for Sentinel 2 was rejected this week because of this. However, we came to a quick agreement of amending the order of the keywords (whilst expressing our surprise at it even being noticed) - and were successful in it being approved.

13. M of IMAK

May 26, 2009
    iPhone App Developer
    Austin, TX
    So you got a notice saying "it would be appropriate to remove these offending keywords" and then you didn't, but just moved them around, and everything was ok the 2nd time? I've heard of the same thing happening, so I'm not surprised. However, I've also heard of rejections even when the two words were separated, so I'm not sure why the word shuffle made a difference unless your keyword list is automatically compared with a list of trademarked words from companies who have put Apple on notice. I don't think any app name will trigger a keyword warning.

14. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    Hm, if by filing a new mark containing Tower Defense can disclaim the old mark, then it's a fairly inexpensive way to do it. It only costs $325 to file an intend to use mark with the USPTO. But if they don't approve of new mark, the filer loses out on the fee. Or if USPTO approves of the new mark and doesn't invalidate the old mark, then we're back at exactly where we are now.

I don't have a pony in this race, but this whole thing just rubs me the wrong way.

15. M of IMAK

May 26, 2009
    iPhone App Developer
    Austin, TX
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. The new mark would not cause the old mark to be invalid. I meant to say that when registering the new mark, you would put in language to say you explicitly DON'T claim a trademark on just the words "Tower Defense", but only the full trademark "Pumpkin Smash Tower Defense", or whatever. Then, the owner of the "Tower Defense" trademark would have to object or your would get a trademark for your name. During the objection process, they would likely loose their trademark on "Tower Defense", or would just give it up, especially if everyone with "Tower Defense" in their name applied for a trademark. Or maybe they would win and everyone would have to change "Tower Defense" to something else, but I don't think so because when something rubs you the wrong way, it rubs other people the wrong way also.

16. slashandburn

Oct 10, 2009
    Birmingham, Al
    Hey, we've came up with a new description for the genre, and really if tower defense is a no-no for keywords then it's certainily not allowed in the visible meta data, description, and we need to either fight them or leave them in the dust and leave them with a worthless trademark.

Also now working on porting port defender to the new tablet, and were going to use the new phrase for the subtitle.

17. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    So you already have a new phrase? This thing is making me angry... EDGE... now Tower Defense... Try what IMAK said. Register your whole app name, see what com2us does...

18. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    how about not writing more tower defense apps? genre is flooded.

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Don't you dare, that'd just lead to an increase of Match-3 games!

20. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    #60 Vingdoloras, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
    Make a TD game and name it "Best Match-3 Ever" (which would be true [I hate most Match-3 games and I am a TD fan :D] )