Universal Tower of Fortune 3 (by Game Stew)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Thomadaneau

Thomadaneau Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Digital marketing consultant
    I am a big fan of those devs, but the game seems hard, but also with a very slow pacing.

2. cymsdale

cymsdale Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Roll skull over 50% of the time. That's not very fun.

3. davagorn

davagorn Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Starting to agree. Feels unfair/random a lot of the time. You can plan ahead, but one "rogue" event can ruin everything.

Now I know it's a rogue-like! However, it feels like it wants to be an RPG. But what's the point of all the sweet gear/stats I'm collecting if they disappear at any point? Between the factions, the gear sets, the crafting, the storylines... I mean, it truly feels like an RPG. But when you die, it is not fun to do everything again, especially with the slow pacing. It's a slog.

And the possibility of insta-death makes me hesitant to explore. Like, do I
    wait at dawn to kill the guy in the Tavern cellar
    ? Heck no—it might end my game!

And the fact that it's hard to earn/keep gold kinda makes it feel like it's structured to push the IAP, even though I paid three bucks for the game.

I'm level 20ish. I've unlocked the first two floors. I'm hovering around 2-4 life potions and pretty much no cash.

Thinking of stopping until we hear if any kind of update/tweak might be coming.

4. killa1500

killa1500 Active Member

Oct 15, 2014
    iPad mini 2, ios 8.4
    Game crashes right at start

5. killa1500

killa1500 Active Member

Oct 15, 2014
    #45 killa1500, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    There won't be any tweaks. The ToF 2 was the same. Icredibly, even unfairly difficult and goddamned roulette doesn't make things easier. It's a shame though because the setting of the game is interesting.

It's even worse than the previous one. Spend gold to wait!?

6. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I was thinking it would be cool if you could speed through the text by tapping, as it's the same...like talking about the captain of the prison for the 15th time, etc.

Also maybe a battle speed option, as the character movements and slot stops are a bit sluggish and one battle can take forever, whereas I feel like this should be a quick go game....

7. davagorn

Feb 20, 2009
    In the previous 2 I was able to hit groove where I had enough potions/gold to "rogue proof" the game and make sure I would never die...I could always escape. Doesn't seem possible in this one.

I really want to like this game. But it feels too RPG-heavy (and too slow) to be a real Roguelike, and it's too easy to die and lose everything to be a real RPG.

Guess I should reinstall King Cashing 1 or 2.

8. gaze

gaze Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I picked up the skill that increases ring effect by 5% and now my ring rolls do nothing. I wonder if this is a bug ? Thanks.

9. killa1500

killa1500 Active Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Definetly the sequel)

10. momopara

momopara Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2013
    #50 momopara, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Hi everyone, I test this game for month. And I can tell you honestly this game is easier than 1&2, the skull rate is 35% in human form, 50% to attack and skull in fury mode. This is the only thing they didn't change in series.

They cut the stage unlock fee to at least half compares to 1&2, and even the last stage needs 0 gold to unlock(because the story they want to tell and the name of stage)

As I know, they do everything they can do to create this game and push themselves to limit. Stories, whole new map mechanic, tons of NPC, secrets... Lots improvement, details and fun. All new content is at least triple than 1+2, every floor got its own main quest and lots secrets.

ToF series use slot mechanics but with a true rogue heart. It always warm you to explore carefully. It is never a hack'n slash. You can always flee from combat(take one hit without special ability from enemy). After you handle the respin timing (only respin in needed and one or two times in one combat) and boost your DEF first(or upgrade armor first), once you got higher DEF, you can earn gold easily. Tip: DEF first.

What is the adventure? That's the core they always discuss and try to show. Explore, interact with NPC, combat and resource management is the core they think. Challenging but always have hope is the topic in every mechanic.

I love their game, they love retro games and want to provide games with good, old retro spirit and challenging. Don't give up to challenge the game. Don't rush in when you don't have enough resource (HP and potion), back to tavern and take a rest. Survive is the core of the game.

A rule about combat is: just flee when you think enemy is much tougher than you. You don't need to fight every enemy. You can always flee even in boss combat. As a sample, I never fight the burning zombie in prison or scum family. Not worth losing my HP or gold to earn few gold. I pick easier enemy to earn gold and buy equipment to boost my DEF first.

I am in the 4th round to challenge all ending reward without spending any real money. Actually I only die in first two floor at first round. My strategy is simple: flee when the fight is not worthy and fly back to tavern. And I guarantee the game is so much fun from beginning to the end. Especially you join faction and trade for faction equipment set.

Don't give up your adventure. It's really a good game and so much fun.

11. momopara

Sep 21, 2013
    I will tell them to check the ring skill. Thanks for the report.

12. davagorn

Feb 20, 2009
    Okay, you inspire me. I'm probably too attached to my gear/stats, and need to make peace with dying over and over. And over.

BUT. The problem with that in TOF3 is that it's slow. Really slow. Tapping through all that dialogue, without being able to speed things up, will become very tedious. TOF 1 and 2 didn't have a story/map/quest/dialogue aspect like this one. More "pick up and play." But just thinking about redoing (maybe a bunch of times) all of floor 1 and floor 2, with all the dialogue and random encounters, makes me not want to play.

An analogy might be to Super Mario Brothers. That's a deep, rich, well-done game. And it's a roguelike. But when you die, all you have to do is race through 1-1, get to the secret warp zone in 1-2, and then you're quickly back to the later stages of the game.

In TOF3, I really don't want to devote 2 or 3 or 5 hours to a run...and then die and lose everything. Maybe that's my fault for expecting it to be a genre of game it isn't. But again, it feels like an RPG. And it's kinda slow. At minimum you need to be able to ignore/skip the dialogue and speed up the battle. Otherwise it seems like it will just take way too long to make repeated runs.

13. walmartpolice

walmartpolice Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    I just think the main problem with the game feeling slow is the unskippable dialogue, especially with dialogue we've already read.

I'm a ToF vet so I'm used to the difficulty but it's a real drag having to go through every conversation over and over and over again.

14. davagorn

Feb 20, 2009
    This.

15. momopara

Sep 21, 2013
    Thanks about all advice, especially about the skip/speed the dialogue, They are working on it right now and will update it as soon as they can. :)

16. walmartpolice

walmartpolice Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    Tell them they're the best.
    I really love their games.
    I'm a little sad the ship building game isn't on the App Store anymore but I still have it on an older device of mine.
    Besides the dialogue, the game is a blast so far, as always.

Also, crashes on 7.X on my iPad but I have an updated iPhone so it's not a big deal at all.

17. polkinsky

polkinsky Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Just try the advice about boost DEF attribute and upgrade my armor and boot from fighting Arena. Now enemies in prison can only hurt me by 1 damage.

18. momopara

Sep 21, 2013
    #58 momopara, Jan 15, 2016
    Thank you for your encouragement and support, I will let them know. :) (They are really shy and humble dev)

About the ship game(War of Eclipse), it still on the AppStore. You need to press the button on the upper left corner on the iPad and switch to "iPhone" only. Old game without support universal version can only appears in this way on iPad.

19. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    #59 Piph, Jan 15, 2016
    Okay, I really want to like this game but it is straight up pissing me off. Everything about this game is punishing as hell, but at the same time the mechanics make you feel as though you should be able to feel invested and maybe even slightly empowered in your character.

The first time I ported back to the tavern I lost all of my equipment. The only difference from not dying is that I kept what minimal benefits I had gained through leveling and my map progress, which ultimately feels pointless since everything important stays in the same spot.

Everything and anything I can do to heal myself is rough as hell. Potions cost too much gold, food seems to only serve to top off your health bar, and resting at a fire is a foolish gamble since any failure results in a powerful enemy appearing.

Most of all, the slots mechanic drives me insane. It seems to be consistent only in how unfair it is. If I tap to stop on anything other than a skull, my first icon is a total toss up. If I land on a skull, however, I seem to get a skull as my first icon without fail. This makes combat feel like an exercise in futility, at best. At worst, it seriously robs any sense of agency from the game. I struggle to feel like I have any control over my progress or accomplishments.

I've died half a dozen times JUST trying to explore the first floor. Powerful enemies are overwhelming as all hell. I've been one or two shot several times before being able to escape. Even when I can choose to avoid the fights through dialogue options, I feel like I'm just staving off the inevitable since they end up draining me of valuable resources like food or gold, which basically guarantees I'm set up for failure the next several moves.

I know this game is a rogue-like. I know it's supposed to be difficult and that you are meant to die repeatedly. Still, the mechanics are far from satisfying or fun, if not straight up unfair and vindictive. For all the RPG elements the game proudly flaunts, it all ends up feeling entirely meaningless.

I WANT to like this game. What am I missing here? What lessons am I supposed to be learning from these failures, other than to avoid any remotely intimidating/interesting enemies? Is there anything I can do to recuperate when I'm on a bad streak, or am I supposed to throw away every run the instant things fall out of my favor? I'm really frustrated with my experience so far, especially when I'm trying so hard to give the game a solid chance.

20. Ringerill

Ringerill Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Unfortunately I can't play this game due to the iOS 7 crash but I'm surprised by all the people saying that the game is hard.
    I don't know if the mechanics from ToF2 tavern are here as well but if they are here is what I would do. In ToF2, like a real hero I've spent most of my time in the tavern before going into dungeons. I've drank, ate and danced, challenged some people and flirted with the ladies. It gave me more Health, more Power and more gold. And when I felt ready, I went to the next dungeon.
    The tavern was a good place to learn how the wheel mechanics worked and when respinnng was a necessity and it was a safe way to gring some money for potions or scrolls. By the way, I guess there are still scrolls allowing you to keep your stuff if you die, that's a really good investment in my opinion.
    But I have to agree that dialogues repeating again and again after every resurrection is annoying and slows the progress a lot, assuming they are important, I don't know that detail...
    As soon as this crashing is fixed I'm really eager to play this game and I'm sure it won't be that difficult or that annoying as most of the people are thinking. As long as you find a relatively safe way of dealing with the new mechanics, it may be long, but never impossible. And a challenging game is what makes it worth playing.