Universal Townsmen - (by HandyGames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by iND, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Ash Plissken

Ash Plissken Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Hi! I love your game. I have a few questions:

Are all of your warehouses and castle "connected"? That is to say, if tools get delivered from my toolmaker's shop to the closest warehouse to him, can a construction worker then pick up the tools from the warehouse closest to the construction site, no matter how far away the two warehouses are?

Also, I've been having trouble with my fire towers. I keep having to spend prestige to put out fires because my firefighters won't do it reliably. I have 100% fire tower coverage, but sometimes the worker assigned to a fire tower will just stand around or even walk right past a burning building that is within his tower's range. Is there something else I need to do to make fire towers work properly?

2. HG VAMPIRE

HG VAMPIRE Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Hi Ash Plissken,

the castle and the warehouse share the stoke. So yes if your Townies getting something to a warehouse another Townie can get it out of the castle as well.

Sorry to hear that you have the Fire Tower Bug. Very few players have it and we are working on it to find and burn it down. :( - some players "cured" their lazy firefighters by destroying the firetower and rebuild it. But also that doesnt work always.

3. Ash Plissken

Ash Plissken Member

Oct 19, 2015
    #63 Ash Plissken, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    I am relieved to know that at least it is a known issue. :) It has actually been less of a problem for me in the last day; I'm not sure what fixed it, but it may have had to do with the fact that I finally built stone roads all over my town. That, along with finally building enough carpenter's shops and treasuries, has helped me get to my goal of having a stable town that now requires almost no intervention on my part. :)

Speaking of carpenter's shops and treasuries, can you tell me anything about how the carpenters and tax collectors prioritize which buildings to repair/collect taxes from?

Thanks for your prompt reply!

EDIT: I guess I spoke too soon. :( Not only did my firefighters' laziness come back with a vengeance, but my carpenters caught it too. It could be any number of factors. It could even be some kind of processing limitation, as I also notice that no bandits have been attacking me for a while. I am going to reboot my phone, and see if that helps.

EDIT 2: Just clearing my phone's cache seems to have helped get the carpenters back on task, at least. I suppose I will have to wait for a random fire to break out to see if the same is true for the firefighters.

For the record, I am playing on a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. If the other people experiencing the bug are also playing on somewhat older phones, then the issue might be a matter of the game running into the processing limits of the hardware.

4. HG VAMPIRE

Jul 11, 2013
    so first the carpenters will go to the buildings with the highest damage plus he checks if its far away or not. closer buildings to him will be repaired first normally.

The tax collectors are lazy and collect in the area, closest areas first.

Rebooting helps a lot on the S3 Mini! Dont have many apps open and reboot Android devices regular (also on iOS it helps) ;) Have fun and thanks for the feedback. We work hard on regular updates and finding and killing possible bugs. if you like join the townsmen community on facebook and show us your village. we also update fans there what will come next!

5. Ash Plissken

Ash Plissken Member

Oct 19, 2015
    #65 Ash Plissken, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    So if there's a more damaged building farther away and a less damaged building closer, does he only stop to repair the closer one if it's past a certain threshold of damage? Or is the ratio of damage to distance taken into account?

Also, is "highest damage" measured in terms of percentage of total health, or current cost to repair? What I'm trying to do is develop a strategy to ensure that no buildings risk getting "starved" due to their placement, because I've noticed that certain types of buildings (e.g. Fisherman's Huts, Forester's Huts, Large Townhouses) are especially prone to showing up on the "urgent need of repair" list.

So, when a given tax collector becomes available, he will just head to the nearest house that's ready to be collected?

Thanks for all your help!

6. Ash Plissken

Ash Plissken Member

Oct 19, 2015
    #66 Ash Plissken, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    Some more questions! I hope I'm not a bother. :)

1. If a carpenter is on his way to a building to repair it, and another carpenter who is closer to that building becomes available, can this second carpenter head to the same building and possibly get there first, thereby allowing the first carpenter to be re-assigned, or has the first carpenter effectively "reserved" the building until he gets there, so that nobody else can repair it? A similar question can be asked for tax collectors, although it is less important in that case.

2. As you probably know already, the "Trade on the animal market" quest is bugged; it never sees that you have any pigs in your inventory. Is there a work-around, or a way to remove it from your quest list, or is it just stuck there until the bug gets fixed?

3. It seems like the defenders of a level 3 Bandit Camp have an absurdly high chance to block a hit (my guess based on observation would be about 75%). Is there a limit to this chance, or does it simply keep increasing as you destroy more bandit camps? In either case, is there a way to improve your own soldiers so that they still have a reasonable chance of winning?

4. Is there a way to tell what resources will be used to repair a building after you upgrade it? I would prefer not to have my carpenters be a drain on my tool supply, so I have been keeping most of my buildings at level 1 so that they can be repaired using only Thaler. The exception is that I upgraded my mines to level 2, so that they can have an ore miner and a geologist working at the same time, and now the mines seem to cost Thaler and planks to repair, even though the upgrade process involved tools as well. So, is it guaranteed that a level 2 building can be repaired using only the kinds of resources that were used to build it in the first place?

Thanks! :)

UPDATE: I just experimented with upgrading my Sawmill; it cost Thaler and wood to build originally, and Thaler, wood and planks to upgrade. However, after the upgrade, it seems to cost Thaler and stone to repair. So, I guess that means there's really no way to know for sure.

7. HG VAMPIRE

Jul 11, 2013
    good questions so lets start to help you:
    1. a carpenter takes a "ticket" as sooon he see a building that needs repair. So as soon he takes the ticket he will not go to another destination. Sames goes for fireworker and also for tax collectors.

2. the quest works very well. no known bugs there. You need to produce pigs and sell them over the merchant. dont just store them in the castle or storages. you need to sell them ;)

3. Your soldiers are still stronger than the level 3 bandits. so it seems you had a bad day and less luck.

4. your carpenter use the ressources for repair:
    Level 1 only a Thaler, level 2 building a thaler and one ressources as mentioned and level 4 buildings a thaler and two ressources.

Hope this help

8. Ash Plissken

Ash Plissken Member

Oct 19, 2015
    AHA! Thank you, that was the part I didn't know. The resource icon with the quest made it look like I had to accumulate a certain number of them and then trade them in for the reward when I had enough, just like with so many other quests. I would consider changing the icon in a way that makes clear that the task of selling them is actually part of the quest (Maybe put a small pile of Thaler next to the pig's face or something).

While we're on the topic of suggestions, when you have a building's menu open, it would be helpful to have arrows to the left and right that allow you to cycle through the other buildings of that type. That would make it easier to tell, for example, which of your guard towers are fully manned and which you might have pulled a guard away from for a construction project, and save you the trouble of finding and selecting each one of your guard towers to check them. Would this be hard to implement?

Thanks again!

9. HG VAMPIRE

Jul 11, 2013
    All of your feedback went straigth to the team and they told me they will think about putting it into the next update! So your feedback is awesome and help to get Townsmen better! I hope you see how hard we work on the title! it is not a match 3 title. it is a complex hardcore strategy game... and we dont use any hardcore monetization in the game so you can enjoy and play it :) keep on building and have fun!

10. Ash Plissken

Ash Plissken Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Thank you! I do see that, and I greatly appreciate it. Version 7 must have been a monumental undertaking for everyone, and HG did a very impressive job on it!

11. HG VAMPIRE

Jul 11, 2013
    Thanks Ash yes its already version 7. Townsmen 1 was released in 2002 on the first J2ME Handsets and now Townsmen is available on iOS, Android and Windows Phone. More will come.

12. Plrau

Plrau Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Hi again!

I wanted to stop by and make mention of something. I noticed there's no real detailed way of keeping track of production. Imy having difficulty with trying to be preemptive with my population vs production. At the moment I am having to single out a specific production line and watch it for a entire season before I really know how it contributes to my population.

Maybe a simple statistic in the pop up window you get when you touch a building.

Also is there anyway to get a idea of what kinda production lines to expect in the future? That might be asking for a lot but will we be able to make cheese or fruit pies at some point?

Cheers!

13. HG VAMPIRE

Jul 11, 2013
    what exactly do you need? we have an overview...

14. Plrau

Plrau Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Something as simple as used/produced for each building would be great.

15. Enozh

Enozh Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Hello

I found this thread while I was googling how to avoid/escape from firefighter and the carpenter bugs ocurred in your latest Townsmen version, I am aware that some people also experience the same thing.

I noticed this bug didn't happen early on the village. I placed several fire tower which worked well when the population just under/around 50. Fire was extinguished withing seconds, just great. After that the bug started to take control. At first just one or two building inside the supposed area which will not be put out, after that, it's completely useless. Similar thing also happened to the carpenters, they did not repair any building apart from their own building.

At some point, I tried to destroy all my carpenter shop, which were scattered all over the map, and replace them with tax office. Then I rebuilt 15 carpenters lv 2 (30 carpenters) shop at the same time in 1 area, close to each other (at this point, I had no firefighter left as I discharged them). It went well for several minutes. I had nothing to worry about my buildings as the carpenters worked well. Did not last long tho. They suddenly just went home, to bar, jousting arena, sightseeing and did not do anything except repairing their own building. This was also proven by sudden massive fire breakout and smoldering building.

What I did:
    - clear cache
    - destroy and rebuild buildings (fire tower, carpenters and buildings that caught fire)
    - discharged and replace workers
    None seemed to fix the issue.

I really hope these issues above will be fixed as soon as possible. This is a great game, I like it very much. But I do admit that this bug is very disturbing the excitement. If I remember correctly, it did not happen before the last update (soldier, bandit, pig farm etc) did it?

Cheers!

Ps. I think the bandit is very weak when we already have all required things (which could be gathered quite easy). I even did not attack the bandit den intentionally so they would attack faster. Might be a lot of fun if you could make it a bit tougher, thanks :)

16. HG VAMPIRE

Jul 11, 2013
    Hi Enozh,

we are working hard to kill this bug. As soon we found it we will inform you here and upload the latest version. Can you please tell me what handset you use, what android or iOS version you have.

thanks

17. Enozh

Enozh Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Hello again,

Samsung Tab S android ver 5.0.2
    I'd also like to ask, what is the maximum town level at townsmen? Is there an experiment 'extend family per townhouse lv 2'? And at what lv would that be? I have reached lv 15 at the moment, lv 1 had been unlocked and was wondering if there would be lv 2.
    As suggestion, I notice that in Townsmen 6 you could include rain or storm, I think it would be great if you could also include that feature here. Since there's snow it would be complete with rain.
    Thanks

18. HG VAMPIRE

Jul 11, 2013
    we planned to offer a townhouse lvl2 but the town gets way too big and crashes too often so we did not released it yet as too many of our players would have too weak devices that couldnt play it anymore. We have MANY more plans for Townsmen. Same for Rain and Storm - we are working on something cool but we always have to be very careful cause of that the game might crash on older devices or some unknown issues come up like the firefighter bug :( - its a very complex game.

19. HG VAMPIRE

Jul 11, 2013
    j4i - if you have the firefighter bug try to reload your savegame sometimes it solve the problem.

20. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    I'll keep an eye on it..