Universal Trainyard (by Matt Rix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Prab, Jun 9, 2010.

1. jerry hunter

jerry hunter Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2010
    This is a superior innovative and challenging puzzle game. DL tmr!:)

2. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    Is an iPad copy in the works? If so, how much will it be?

3. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    I'd love to do one eventually, but I've got a bunch more things to do on the current version before I start working on that. The price will probably be $4.99, and it'll include a puzzle editor/creator... I might visually retheme/style it into more of a "fluffy/vibrant" style which I can do with the added space on the iPad. I'll also probably allow puzzles that are bigger than 7x7. Again these are all just ideas, I haven't started working on it, and probably won't for a couple months. In the meantime, the iPhone version is very playable on the iPad, although it is pixelly.

4. Kevd

Kevd Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    It's nice to see a dev recognize that making pricing promises is rarely a smart move. I've seen too many lately make promises that are broken a week later. It's these types of broken promises that have driven app prices into the basement, robbing devs of their well-deserved earnings for creating quality games. I respect your right to make pricing changes and do what you need to do to find success in the app store, but I respect you more for recognizing your mistake, admitting your fault, and vowing to avoid making similar promises in the future. I have no issue with devs changing their prices, but it leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you feel outright deceived into making a purchase based on a devs word when that word means nothing.

5. howling techie

howling techie Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Student
    Warrington, Cheshire, UK
    When you say you have a 'bunch more things to do on the current version', can we looking forward to content updates, and I would love see that level editor on the iphone version as well. I'm just getting to the final city, but I don't want to because that would mean that I would have finished all the levels. One of my favourite iphone games, and probably the best one I've played this year.

6. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Yeah I think I've definitely learned my lesson. At the time I said that, I really didn't have any plans to change the price, but my perception changed very quickly. Since this is my first game, I'm really learning a lot about the marketing/promotion side of things. It's a completely different world than programming, and pretty far out of my comfort zone... With that said, it's pretty interesting to see what works and what doesn't so I am enjoying it :)

Just out of curiosity, when you said final city, did you mean in the regular game, or in bonus? FYI After the regular game there are two more cities of bonus levels (just in case you're actually holding out on beating the game, ha).

Anyway, I'm absolutely planning content updates. I've got at *least* 25 more puzzles(including some of the most difficult ones) all sitting here, ready to go in the next update, and I'm planning to make a bunch more after that. I'm making the level editor for the iPad version for sure, and I'd like to do it for the iPhone, but it's just gonna be really hard to squeeze it in(screen real-estate wise). It's something that I probably can do, but I'll have to plan it carefully. There's also the issue of server-load with something like that, but I'm sure I'll work it out when the time comes. Don't expect the level editor for at least a month, probably two, unfortunately. By that time I'll have released a pile more levels(for free, of course), and some other enhancements that will increase the replay value.

7. Kevd

Kevd Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    A level editor for iphone/ipod would be a much welcomed addition. I hope you can figure out a creative way to implement it.

8. howling techie

howling techie Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Student
    Warrington, Cheshire, UK
    I bought the game on the 15th, and I just this moment finished the 'original puzzles' (all 400, without cheating, and that last one was really hard), I look forward to working through the bonus maps, these and any ones that are added in the future, and I've submitted a review to the store:
    One of the best puzzle games I have played on the ipod, this game is well worth the money, and it certainly kept me addicted to the end, and with the promise of more content to be added in the future for free (including a level editor) I'm certain that you'll easily get loads of playtime out of this game. The graphical style just adds to the value of this app. I would say that te game is short, but that's due due to the fact that I've spent more time on this app the past few days than I have done on my Xbox.

Just ignore the idiot that only gave it 2 stars.

9. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Hey, thanks a ton for the review, I'm really glad you enjoyed the game. At this point my biggest source of marketing is just word of mouth and app store reviews from people like you - they really do help.

10. unbrokenchain33

unbrokenchain33 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
  11. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario

Just got a sweet review from the biggest Italian iPhone site, pretty cool! I can already see my rank in the Italian store climbing, hah.

http://www.iphoneitalia.com/trainyard-la-recensione-completa-di-iphoneitalia-di-uno-splendido-puzzle-game-musicale-e-colorato-121164.html

12. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    Just picked this up. Easily one of the best puzzlers on my iPhone, and BY FAR the best app icon i own :D

13. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Nice! Thanks for the compliment on the icon too, I didn't really know whether people liked it or not.

Just so everyone knows, I'm going to submit the new update to Apple at the end of this weekend. It'll include 30 new (hard) puzzles, colorblind mode, and a bunch of other enhancements.

14. Harzazel

Harzazel Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    I bought it yesterday: it's a great puzzle game!!

15. globbits

globbits Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    That's great news, can't wait!

Any chance of a quick peek of one of the levels to keep us going for the next couple of weeks? ;)

16. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Teaser

Haven't *quite* been able to submit the update yet, as there are a bunch of last minute things I've been working on. I'm really trying to make the actual drawing easier and more intuitive, without wrecking it for those who are already good at it. Because I haven't submitted it yet, the least I can do is give you a couple teaser levels. I should also mention that the new puzzle count in the update is going to be closer to 40, with a few easier puzzles thrown in to keep things interesting!

Here are the teasers(the one with all the "garbage" in the middle is one of the REALLY hard ones):

RGB:
    [​IMG]

Mr. Morgan:
    [​IMG]

Indusblue:
    [​IMG]

17. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    When is the iPad version coming out? :)

18. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    I wish I could say soon, but that's still a while away! I'd say at least a couple months, unfortunately. I really just want to focus on the iPhone version for a while. I've got some cool stuff planned for it before I move on to the iPad.

Also, I might as well get feedback on this now: I'm considering implementing OpenFeint in the next update(ie. not this one). I'd use it for announcements, achievements, and local storage. I know some people love OF, and others really don't seem to like it. Anyone have any opinions on whether you'd like to see it in Trainyard or not?

19. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Months? :( Maybe I'll just get the iPhone version then! :rolleyes: Does anyone know hoe the iPhone version looks on the iPad?

20. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    The iPhone version looks pretty decent on the iPad(I've got one) at 2x. It's definitely pixelly, but it's actually a lot easier to play on the iPad than on the iPhone. If you get it, the first thing you should do though is turn off "Grunge" in the options. That'll help make it look a lot better.