Universal Triple Town (By Spry Fox)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Jan 19, 2012.

1. terelin

terelin Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2010
    This is late, but I wanted to thank you for these tips. They have helped me become more consistent, thanks!

2. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    THIS just totally made my day, thanking you.

3. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    You're welcome :D

I still can't get over how this thread went from an arguably legitimate series of complaints that $6 to unlock unlimited turns was so high a price that next to nobody would pay that much for such a simple, casual aimed game to a never ending series of complaints that people are buying their high scores at a cost of $1-$3 per game.

4. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    #304 DaviddesJ, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
    No. Do you really have such trouble misunderstanding what I write? You seem to be responding to something completely different from what I wrote. I can't possibly have "envy/insecurity", because it would be no big deal to me to spend a thousand dollars if it made the game more fun, and I don't care one bit who gets on the leaderboard, I never mentioned that at all. My issue would be exactly the same if the leaderboard didn't even exist. Try responding to what I actually write, the next time.

As far as I can tell, it comes from in your own head. No matter what people write, you're convinced that there is somebody somewhere who is full of envy and insecurity. If you are totally convinced of that, you'll see it around every corner, no matter what people actually write.

What I really don't understand is how you went from arguing "real money cannot have any significant effect in the grand scheme of things because you earn plenty of coins in the course of playing the game at a high skill anyhow," to arguing that it would be way too expensive to buy undos. How can you argue both contradictory positions at the same time?

5. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Hey Chip, just to note regarding the paying for leader boards...

I have an argument against that. In We Rule, MANY of the players dropped hundreds of dollars a month to be in the top of the leader boards.

You'd be amazed, simply amazed, at what some people will do in order to chase the leader boards. Seriously.

But honestly, leaderboards on iOS games are broken the majority of the time and filled with cheaters and hackers. People chase it like it was the holy grail. It's rather... Well disturbing.

6. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Those aren't contradictory at all since they happen to be 100% separate matters. My point was to show the complete absurdity of arguing it's an issue from either POV. It's asinine to believe anybody would be spending that sort of money. It's equally asinine to believe spending that sort of money is hurting this game.

The good player who can actually make a difference in their score with the in-game store has plenty of coins to do so when game conditions actually warrant utilizing the in-game store.

The rest of the people cannot and will not be making a difference even if they're stupid rich and stupid enough to try. With my pedestrian skill level I could probably burn through all my coins and blow a bunch more money and wind up with a 500+K game on the leaderboards (for all the good it would do me). Meanwhile, there are tens of thousands of players who can do 500K without spending a game coin let alone real money.

Skill is the determining factor in this game, not money. If we consider two players of equal skill and only one uses the in-game store, that player will do better, but both players have equal access to the store and to coins based upon their skill.

As for the assuming it's being driven by insecurity or envy, I can conceive of no other reason why people continue to post about how money makes a difference in a game that it doesn't, and that even if it did would be about as important to 99.99% of the players' enjoyment and reasons for playing as what color underwear I have on.

7. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    If you can think of no reason why people would have the concerns that they do, except being crazy and stupid, and then you are constantly frustrated and angry at how the world seems to be full of crazy, stupid people, perhaps the problem is that you aren't really trying to understand what people think, not that the world is full of crazy, stupid people.

I don't know where you got the 99.99% figure, but I think it's invented out of whole cloth. I think it's clear that more than 0.01% of players buy coins, otherwise there would be no reason for the publisher to use this model. How many people spend real money to harvest strawberries faster in FarmVille? A lot more than 0.01%. How many people are bothered by the Farmville business model that relies on selling consumables to player. Also a lot more than 0.01%. Again, I think the problem is that you don't understand or accept that other people think in different ways than you do.

8. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Couldn't resist a quick peek back in here and, wow, people sure do get angry about this stuff. My feelings are the same as ever - yes, in my world buying the next piece in a match-3 game is poor design, period, yes, it makes the leaderboards pretty meaningless... but hey, I am still having a lot of fun, so there's that. :D Just broke 363,000 without touching the store - pocket change compared to what other people are getting, I know, but still - that was skill and (probably more) blind luck, and never once tipping the odds in my favour to push the total a bit higher. And I could see where I could do better.

I do reviews for a small multi-format site, nothing like TouchArcade's level, but assuming my editors give the review the go ahead I wrote up Triple Town and scored it a low 9 out of 10. Had the IAPs not been there I might have put it even higher.

Still, that's my five cents for now - you may now resume arguing. :p

9. Hebug

Hebug Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2010
    There's a leaderboard for this and people care? Whoa.

10. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    No, I don't think so. I haven't seen anyone who cares about the leaderboard.

11. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Price on unlimited turns has long since dropped and I just had to say (since this is my first time here and I just finished reading 30 pages...)

Thanks for listening dev. It was seriously the right move... I think if you had stayed stubborn you would have likely cheated yourself out of soooo much money for a game that is really decent.

Smart move.

12. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    This is in reference to a post i made pages back, but...after doing a DFU restore to my iPod, it no longer crashes when I play this game. Still getting the weird popup asking me for my iTunes account login, though (and I noticed in reviews that others have the same issue).

13. spryfox

spryfox Active Member

new modes

Just wanted to give you guys the heads-up; the Android version of TT now has new modes that are free to players who purchased unlimited turns. One mode is basically "zen/practice" mode -- 5x5 grid with no bears. No bears makes it easier but 5x5 means you do need to be careful about where you build things. The other mode puts a lake in the center of the map; makes everything harder (also, the stash moves to the center of the map). Basically a challenge mode for experts.

We'll be hopefully releasing this update on iOS as well in about a week, assuming no hiccups in the approval process.

14. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Sweet! Looking forward to it.

15. terelin

terelin Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2010
  16. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

ANIMALCHOPPINGS Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
    sweet, I really like this game and am glad to see new game modes.

17. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    #317 mlkaufman, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
    I really like the challenge mode, but the 5x5 mode is way too easy. The attached screenshot shows how far I got the first time I played it before I got bored and killed the game. Here's what I suggest to make it more challenging. Take away the crystals and the bots from the pieces that show up and possibly from the shop as well. Even with the 5x5 board, I could have gone on indefinitely playing this. If you want to leave it in as some sort of zen mode, at least make it possible to play a regular game without having to end this one. If you could switch back and forth, then this mode could be sort of an ongoing relaxation mode, but you could keep playing the real game if you wanted to.

Attached Files:

18. ezoterika999

ezoterika999 New Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Game Impressions

As a very selective person have to say, that this is one my favorite games:)
    Great tactic game,terribly addictive! Never believed it could happened to me, but I've spend lots of happy hours improving my building skills)))
    And of of course cutie bears, love them when they are angry:p

19. dasaff1

dasaff1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Games like triple town

Love this game, almost as addicting as lumines was.

any other ios games like this? i already have a ton but i like the untimed puzzle aspect.

20. CroRock

CroRock Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Croatia
    ok, I just purchased unlimited turns IAP... but where are these new maps.. or better to ask.. how to start "New Game"??? After finishing tutorial, all I can do is continue playing that tutorial map.

:confused: