Tubebox now free!!! Youtube Downloader!!!

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Connector, Oct 18, 2012.

1. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I know at one point Apple pulled MyTube/MXTube (not the My-Tube that is currently out there) specifically because they allowed you to save videos from YouTube (which I bet is against YouTube's policies somewhere, and besides it lets you watch videos w/out ads or letting Google track how many times you watch & when, etc. ;))

Now that Apple is divorcing itself from Google, they may not care anymore. I didn't realize apps like this had returned.

Either way, thanks for the heads up - downloaded. This is perfect for my daughter who tends to watch (and re-watch) kids stuff on YouTube ad-infinitum...

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    After playing around with it for a while, I do like tubebox content wise for its ability to download dailymotion videos as well, but imo Foxtube has a better interface and is more user friendly. Both are fantastic apps though.

3. I don't see why it would be illegal. It does the same thing that a VCR or TIVO do. It is the same too with web capturing software like pocket or now in ios6 in safari for offline reading. Once something is out out on a public medium, I really don't see how anyone could make it illegal, if so all of these different offline ways of viewing things would be outlawed.

Does Youtube not like? And is it in Youtubes 52 pages of terms and conditions? Yeah, probably Youtube wouldn't like it. But is it illegal? I really don't think so. It's not like anyone's making money from it, or really hurting anyone in any real way. In fact, it makes people use Youtube more. I know for me personally with the ability to show my friends Youtube videos offline, I use Youtube much more.

So indirectly, I think it actually helps Youtube, especially the Youtube content providers, cause more people will watch all the videos.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Recording copyrighted work onto VHS was also a legal grey area, as is recording radio broadcasts ;)

One thing's sure though, the app itself isn't illegal.

5. But isn't content on Youtube supposed to be stuff that is non copyrighted anyway? So in your scenario, tubebox would be more akin to recording the PBS station, not some big Hollywood blockbuster.

But if it is illegal, just respond by saying you didn't inhale! :p

6. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Thanks Connector for this gem! I'm using this now instead of the native Youtube app!

My only issue is that it doesn't display the info and comments? Or am I missing something?

7. Yeah, I got forced to use it as my main youtube app after ios6 came out and no more native youtube app anymore. Tried using Jasmine for awhile, but liked tubebox better plus it can download the vids too.

As for the comments, yeah I don't recall any way to see them in tubebox, check the options section though, I was surprised to find stuff in there like 1080p hd viewing, more search features etc. i think you can log into youtube via tubebox but whether you can see stuff like comments and stuff I am not sure cause I didn't log into my youtube account so it expired and never bothered to set one up again.

So if anyone knows how to read comments etc please post, otherwise it is probably safe to say it can't be done I suppose.

Also recommend pocket for good utility apps. I use that for my offline reading. It's free so check it out too.

8. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Hmmm... When I save the video, it saved successfully to the Camera Roll, but I can't find the Camera Roll. There's only Photos... And it's not in there either.

9. When you hit save there is a processing time needed to process it. Depending on your device it can take a couple of minutes to show up. Maybe this is it.

10. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Yeah, that makes sense. Just wanted to make sure!

This is a great app, by the way! Thanks for the heads-up about it Connector! :D

11. Yeah, I would never want you to go to jail. Would miss all of your "Is this worth my buck?" posts. Plus I hear prison food is no good and they make you wear a monkey suit. And gasp, you can't bring in your iphone, unless of course, ahem, you can get it past their strip search. :D

12. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    It's not showing up in my Photos still. However, without wi-fi connection, I am able to watch the cached videos in the app.

13. You are going to watch the video then hitting the menu button then hitting the save button to camera roll right? If so, I got no idea, google tubebox and email their support. I had an issue once and they were very responsive and fixed my problem.