iPad Tumbledrop

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Dock, Jan 15, 2010.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I love these games, but by now I've got a bunch that offer over 100 levels, so I'm wondering if this one will feel short in comparison... how long does it take to get through them all? Any plans for more levels in updates?

2. Dock

Dock Active Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Game Developer
    Cambridge, UK
    I'm going to be adding levels in a free update sometime soon.However, the levels also have two medals to aim for, which are much more difficult, which makes there much more to do. There's also the score based quick play mode, which can be fun to compare highscores with other people. :)

Midian, I do think you'll enjoy my game!

3. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    My first appstore review even though I have over 300 apps. :D

Actually, I've really been meaning to write some others, but your game I felt really needed and deserved more reviews.

I'm going to get the update now and see if it fixes the bug with the sound cutting out if you're playing while you cancel a sync . . .

Yeah, my wife and I have quite the competition going for the best score in quick play mode. :D

Dock--any chance of adding user profiles or being able to enter names on a scoreboard for a future update, btw? That would make local play more fun. :cool:

4. Dock

Dock Active Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Game Developer
    Cambridge, UK
    [​IMG]

Tumbledrop was featured as a 'hot game' on the US store today, alongside GTA! :D

Thanks for the review! I'm just one guy, so every bit of help makes a massive difference to me. Unfortunately the sound bug you mention is still present, but I'm trying to figure it out and I'll let you know when I submit another fix.

I hadn't really considered that people would be playing on the same device, but I'll have to think about how I could implement names or profiles somehow! I'm glad you and your wife are enjoying the competition - what is your best score, and what about your wife? My girlfriend is better at Tumbledrop than I am! D:

5. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Congrats, and I notice Danger Cats and The Deep are in there as well--two other games I've been playing today. :D (the very comparable, but lesser Danger Cats, I'll add, which I gave a 4 star rating to, whereas Tumbledrop received a 5 star rating from me, and while my wife agrees with me that that is a *good* game, Tumbledrop is greatness, but I digress)

I know it's not very impressive, but I've managed a best of 13 in the quick play mode, whereas my wife has gotten to a 9. But I'm not sure she knows that your score improves if you get a medal. I'd ask her if she knows about it, but I don't want to tip her off . . .;)

The sound bug is really trifling, but I figured you'd want to know.

Btw, I feel kind of bad now for panning the sound a bit in my review. It has actually grown on me a bit and I've started thinking that maybe the "less is more" approach worked here. I don't think I'd like it if the pink star made some repetitive squeaky scream noise. And I do enjoy the sounds of the plopping splash as well as the incoming rainbow. I do suppose, however, it might be nice to have different music for each difficulty level. But things such as that and the user profiles would just be icing on the cake, really. I hope you will mainly concentrate of adding more levels. Not that the game is light on content--it's definitely not with all those medals to be won. I've cleared all the levels, probably twice over, but I only have 30 of the total medals.

Btw--I have none of those mystery medals. Are those gettable in the current version? I guess I'll have to unlock all the other medals first to get those, or? I dunno, but I am curious. However if it is a major surprise then you probably shouldn't spoil it. :)

6. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    #26 cranker, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
    I have bought tons of these types of remove the blocks physics games with most of them being average at best, so I was very skeptical about this one. I picked it up anyway due to the positive comments.

This game is very fun and sits at the top of the pack in this genre. The nice graphics, medals and overall polish just makes me want to play it. The medals are a great idea and give you a reason to do the best you can on each level and replay them to get them all.

Highly recommended !!

Great job guys :) :) :)

Edit: any thought to adding openfeint ? maybe some kind of point system for the medals with a running total for high score ? or for the record in quick play mode.....etc That would be icing on the cake :)

7. Dock

Dock Active Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Game Developer
    Cambridge, UK
    Medianotzu, thanks, I'm glad that you and your wife are enjoying quick play mode! XD

I get the impression that Tumbledrop stopped being featured, perhaps because danger cats was similar. :( Disappointing, especially as tumbledrop's reviews are generally very strong.

Thanks! Although, it's just me! XD
    I'm glad that you gave this game a chance, and mostly that you're enjoying it despite being a little bored of the genre.

I considered OpenFeint for a while, but it didn't seem to match my audience. Many of my players are very casual, and open feint seems to favour a more hardcore and competitive type.

8. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    I actually just checked and you're still featured as far as I can see, under the "Hot New Games."

It would be a real shame if you lost out on any featuring due to a similar game being around . . .I don't really see the issue that would cause that though. I mean, how many tower defense games or match-3 games have been simultaneously featured by apple at given times? I'm willing to bet it has happened on a semi-regular basis.

Plus, well, your game really is at the top of the genre. I'm loving those challenges for the medals now!

Today the wife got up to 12 in quick play before falling in the drink. :D

9. cranker

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    #29 cranker, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
    I am a casual games fan, but I love openfeint. It's just fun to see where you rank, even if it's not at the top :)

Please consider it for this great game !!! I played more yesterday and it's the best I have played of this type by far :)

10. #30 firemaplegames, Jan 22, 2010
    Hello!

I am the developer for Danger Cats!, and I just want to say how much I love Tumbedrop. I loved it when it came out a year or so ago on the web!

I first became aware of games like these with Totem Destroyer a few years ago, then Tumbledrop, Totem Destroyer 2, etc..

When they released the box2D physics engine, such a wave of awesome physics puzzlers came out.

When I learned about GameSalad (the software I'm using), I jumped on it, and when I noticed that they included the Box2D physics engine with it, I wanted to try and create my own little physics puzzler.

GameSalad currently limits you to rectangles and circles, which is why Danger Cats! is much more simplistic than Tumbledrop. Hopefully they will add the ability for more complex shapes soon.

I also went for a slightly quicker, action-oriented game - mainly because I want kids to just be able to pick it up and play. Your game is a much more thoughtful, intelligent game.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I have the utmost respect and admiration for Tumbledrop. It is a true gem of a game. I told everyone about it when it was on the web, and I tell everyone about it now that it is on the iPhone. I aspire to one day be as good as a developer as you!

Also, you are still featured in the Hot New Games section here in the US app store. That screenshot from earlier in the thread is still valid!

Best,
    Joe

11. cranker

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    #31 cranker, Jan 22, 2010

They are both great games :) everyone should buy both.......NOW ! ....lol

I have to say that with the graphics and polish and medals....etc. Tumbledrop is the best of this type I have played so far :) ...............Danger cats is definitely right up there at the top as well :)

12. Dock

Dock Active Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Game Developer
    Cambridge, UK
    Wow, thank-you Joe, that's very decent of you to say that. I don't have any reliable means of seeing the featured apps on the phone over there. I'm glad both games are still up there. :)

13. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    I also like Danger Cats! and gave it a positive review on the appstore. Gotta love those kitty shrieks! :D

Dangercats got a 4-star from me, whereas Tumbledrop received 5-stars. But the last I checked, Danger Cats had more reviews than Tumbledrop and overall a 5-star rating, so it appears to be doing very well. Congrats Fire Maple and Star Fruit!

14. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Out of all of the physics games of this genre, Danger Cats and Tumbledrop are the only two that have stayed on my device. Tumble drop has a beautiful art style and SO many levels that will keep you entertained for months. There is a lot of replayability because you want to strive for the highest metal given for the least amount of moves possible. I am enjoying the happiness the game brings with rainbows and sunshine, whenever I play it I always smile :)

15. Thanks so much! I really appreciate the reviews and feedback!

Now everybody needs to buy Tumbledrop so it climbs up the ranks!!! If you haven't played it yet, it is fantastic!! You won't be disappointed!

I notice that there isn't a lite version out yet, but you can check out the gameplay video here: http://tumbledrop.com/

Or better yet, play the web version here: http://tumbledrop.com/classic/
    It requires the Unity browser plugin, but that's free!

You owe it to yourself to check out this truly great game!!!

Joe

16. Dock

Dock Active Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Game Developer
    Cambridge, UK
  17. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    This sums up exactly how I feel as well.

Very cool to see there is a light version of Tumbledrop now as well. Now I can point acquaintances who live around the world to that. I don't think it's possible not to get hooked on this game.

18. Dock

Dock Active Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Game Developer
    Cambridge, UK
    [​IMG]

My game is a finalist in IGF Mobile! wow!

I don't know how I'll afford the trip to San Francisco though! D:

19. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Awesome! Congratulations are in order. :D

20. iphonegeek

iphonegeek Member

Jan 26, 2010
    All those pink colors kinda get on my nervs, lol! But my girlfriend loves it! She says it's Sweeeeeeeeeeeet! hahaha