Twin Blades,the new zombie slasher

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by eggzbacon, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Welcome to Toucharcade Phil! The game looks great!

2. PureSkill

PureSkill Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    I just noticed the new screenshots a little while ago, :eek:

and like Prab said, the screenshots seem even better than the video!

Maybe the camera that was used for the video isnt set to the best setting or something, but the colors and detail in the screenshots are even more amazing!

Im loving how the backgrounds and the characters are looking!

and do I really have to wait until Christmas to get this game!
    Thats not soon enough for me!
    How about if I pay 5 bucks for it, could I get it sooner?:D

This game is definitely a Zombieville/Inkvaders/any other game of that type Killer to me!

3. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Yeah.. I was quite shocked to see the screens as well. Some games dont look great in screens because the animations make them look better. But these screens are awesome. Which means the actual in game footage will be even more insane :D

4. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Press Start Studio
    Ah well, unfortunately the exact release date isn't in our hands, but there is a slight possibility that the game might be out before christmas - and for less than 5 bucks even!

We'll see what we can do to provide better quality in-game footages in the future, keep up with the comments!

5. PureSkill

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    #45 PureSkill, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
    Twin Blades Schedule

Oh, I see: When Twin Blades will come out!
    Nice Guide for all games!

That twilight zone that we all know as Apples Approval Process sure is nasty alright!

and I thought the game was farther along, but there is plenty of time with the current schedule to finish it completely.

I dont need to get into it but, I hope the app gets approved when the time comes!

6. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Press Start Studio
    Ah well, time can be so subjective in some cases - and this is one of them :)

I intentionally omitted any reference to dates in the schedule as a general reference, but I can tell you that in Twin Blades' case the whole thing (minus the twilight zone) only represents 2 months, so there's actually very little time left.

Whilst a couple weeks may seem like forever to wait to a fan before a game is released, that same amount of time seems extremely short to a pair of devs who still have a hundred thousand gigallion things to fix in their software!

7. PureSkill

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    I never would have guessed that the game still has that many things to fix.
    The video makes it look like the game is nearly done, but the timeline says otherwise.

Well then, I hope that there arent any delays that would cause this to be put on hold or set it back from being released when the time comes!

and ya, a few weeks to a fan does seem like an eternity!
    I dont know what I am going to do to pass the time!
    I feel like I am going to age a few years in the few weeks that it takes for the game to be released.

But dont just rush it and make a barely finished product, that would be even worse then waiting a while for it to be released.

I cant wait for some new information/screenshots/video!
    I think that they might help me get through this without aging too much!;)

8. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    @Phil: Keep up the good work then :D
    Don't let us eager fans distract you :p

9. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Press Start Studio
    Oh its absolutely fine really, we are always on the lookout for comments.

I've posted 2 exclusive new screenshots of the game on Press Start Studio 's facebook profile, become a fan and let the latest infos come to you!

10. Aldex Oun

Aldex Oun Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Just became a fan :D

11. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

I think it should keep your player centered so the controls don't get in the way

12. beetle004

beetle004 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Second that.

13. Jien

Jien New Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Is it possible to add a guy character?
    Woman Zombie Slasher are good, but I feel more 'badass' when playing a guy character. :D

14. Hardwired

Hardwired Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Co-Founder of Press Start Studio. Engine/Tools pr
    Strasbourg, France
    Hi guys,

First of all thanks for your comments; we actually did take some of them into account at the very last minute :) As Phil pointed out our schedule is very tight and we're mainly implementing "connectivity" features in the game right now. But we're keen on offering our players regular (and free) updates for Twin Blades. We have the technology for that, and we have great artists in the studio who know how to leverage that technology. So your feed-back is incredibly important and valuable to us.

I'm Jeff by the way, one the two coders and co-founder of PSS (we all are co-founders for that matter).

I just wanted to react about the in-game controls. It's not quite clear in the video (because it's a footage from the alpha release of Twin Blades, maybe) but we actually paid attention to the layout of the different buttons, so they would not get in the way of the player. All the buttons have an increased 'touch detection range' so you don't have to touch the actual icons to trigger actions. For instance, you can control the 'virtual thumbstick' (bottom left) by sliding your left thumb's tip at the very bottom edge of the screen. Same goes for the 'fire' and 'slash' buttons (bottom right). As for the 'weapons switch' button (half-top right) you just swipe it up or down with your right thumb to select the previous or next weapon. We tweaked this one a lot while playtesting so it feels responsive and intuitive.

About the 'responsiveness' of the in-game controls: we tweaked that a lot too; we introduced some kind of optimization that strikes a balance between a constant, smooth frame rate and a responsive user interface. It works quite well in practice (especially on iPhone OS 3.1 and above). We're playtesting on 'first generation hardware' and everyone seems to be happy with the FPS/UI so far.

And one last thing: all controls have some level of transparency now (yes, we actually read your comments:)

Ok, going back to code now ^^

Cheers,

Jeff

15. Hardwired

Hardwired Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Strasbourg, France
    #55 Hardwired, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
    Hi,

Actually this is an ongoing debate among us too. What we have now is a camera system that puts the hero in the middle of the screen when she runs, but gets slightly 'off-centered' away from the hero's line of sight so she 'sees' what's coming towards her when she jumps/slashes/shoots etc.

Also, the hero's run speed has been reduced compared to what it was at the time of the video; the camera motion is also a bit smoother as a result.

Maybe the camera mode could be set by the user, too...

Going back to work now (for real this time)

Jeff

16. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Wow... the camera system sounds pretty cool. Didnt realize that from the video :)

17. Vincenzo78140

Vincenzo78140 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Bulkypix COO
    Vélizy-Villacoublay
    The new gameplay video is going to be published tomorrow :)

18. Vincenzo78140

Vincenzo78140 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Bulkypix COO
    Vélizy-Villacoublay
  19. PureSkill

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    #59 PureSkill, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
    HQ Video Embedded!

[hqyoutube]8TnnGQOCb9U[/hqyoutube]

Nice Video, Shake to escape enemies huh. I dont know if thats the best solution.

but the video still doesnt do the colors justice!

20. Hardwired

Hardwired Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Strasbourg, France
    Yeah it seems that the game got the tester's adreline pumping already :D

Actually you don't need a wrist-strap to play Twin Blades. A quick move (in any direction) is all it takes to shake the zombies off. Plus not all zombies are that clingy. In the video you also see the zombies being "pushed back" after a shake so the nun has a chance to escape... or mess the place up :rolleyes: