iPhone UHR-Warlords (by Turbo Tape Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 18, 2014.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Maybe that is a good enough reason to dip in as it does look clever.

2. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    After around ten hours of gameplay I can only say that this game is worth every Cent, no doubt! I am really glad, that between the tons of Feemium crap are still some real gems ...

3. drquicksilver

drquicksilver Member

Jan 7, 2013
    No, definitely not. Your posts are excellent. There were three others in a row with a strange but distinctive writing style. No matter.

4. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Ah, lol, ok, and thanks! Sorry if I sounded paranoid. It's just that my "enthusiasm" has at times gotten me accused of such things, so I automatically thought you might have meant me. Glad to see you didn't. :)

5. Slem

Slem Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi guys! We've submitted an update that fixes a bug that will not allow you to rate it from within the app:). In the mean time, I would be most gracious if you consider rating it via the app store. It currently says 'No Rating' :(

I'm really happy you seem to enjoy it! We're currently working on a rating system and leaderboards based on the ELO-rating system. We'll release it as soon as its done (and tested)!

6. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Myth (or Slem), maybe you can answer a few of my "concerns". i only ask them because this is $6.99, not $2.99. for $2.99 i'd just see for myself.

1. hopefully you're playing on an ipad and my questions are play against the AI, not online or pass and play.
    2. this black metal stuff aside, the screens look really (really) dark. are they? does it detract?
    3. the variety of characters seems limited. everyone gets the same 8 game after game after game. first, do they all LOOK the same? i mean, each side has a Warrior, does his look like yours? and second, does it start getting old that you have the same guys all the time?
    4. can you improve the stats of the characters thru play?
    5. what keeps it exciting after you've seen all the character specific runes and, again, play each game with the same "guys"

i ask all this cuz the game looks nice so i'm tempted if game play is not same 'ol same 'ol after a while. thanks!!

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Hey Slem,

So other than damage ranges, do any of the piece abilities or spells have randomized effects?

8. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    No iphone version? I cry inside. This looked good. Kudos to the guy who mentioned archon. I loved archon :)

9. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    There are two quite nice archon ports for iOS! :) iPhone only, but check them out.

10. Slem

Slem Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Bergen, Norway
    @Mack
    1. You can play campaign and custom game against AI and multiplayer local and online against humans
    2. I'll leave the comments on the visuals to others as I am biased, but I never feel as though it's too dark.
    3. The creatures are the same, but look different from faction to faction. Again super-biased, but I don't feel it gets old and I've played it for hundreds of hours (to clarify I am one of the Game Designers). The true magic is playing against human opponents. No game is ever the same :)
    4. No power ups or level ups. This game is based on equal starting points.
    5. Again biased, but the game will remain fun for me I think forever. It is built to on a easy to learn, hard to master principle.

Hope that answers your questions :)

@LordGek
    No other randoms, no :)

11. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    @Slem: Any plans to different AI level (I asked that at my first post already)? It would be nice to have the ability to pick an easy, middle or hard AI ... :cool:

12. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Keep seeing references to Archon. Other than being played on a chess board, im not seeing the resemblance. Archon was unique because it resolved combat in an arcade style arena with frantic joystick breaking action. This is looks like what I always thought Battlechess should be: Chess like tactics with hit points and special abilities. Tempting.

13. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    thanks Slem, i appreciate your response but i won't ever be playing against human opponents so one could take from your inference that AI play does become repetitious since there are no difficulty settings. hmmmm....any thoughts? anyone who's now playing the AI see it getting boring after you've played each faction? believe me, i'm not trying to run down the game, it looks very intriguing, but i've jumped into a few expensive games that i've had partial doubts about and been totally disappointed. thanks again.

14. Slem

Slem Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Bergen, Norway
    Your welcome :) I'll let the good folk of the forums answer about how they feel about the AI. A note is that each of the Warlords have different affinities to creatures and tactics.

As for AI difficulty we have not planned for this, but if it's what the people want we'll definitely consider it.

15. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Definitely a vote for longevity/improvements to single player AI. Not everyone will play this multiplayer, sadly.

-- I bought the game though I haven't tried it yet, so I'm not commenting on the actual AI, but more of a broader request that in general, improving/extending single player modes/AI is something I certainly appreciate, from a personal point of view.

16. Can anyone compare this to Dreamblade?

17. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    would you mind elaborating on that? does that mean the "stats" (abilities, movement, attack, defense) of the 8 creatures each Warlord has vary depending on which Warlord you choose?

18. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Little bitty iPhone screens and busstop quick play don't deserve a game like this.

19. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    What are the archon ports?

20. Louis Ace

Louis Ace Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Coming to android?