iPhone UHR-Warlords (by Turbo Tape Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Slem

Slem Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Bergen, Norway
    @Mack
    No, it only means that they use them differently. :)

@Louis
    Yes. We hope to be available on Android in March

2. davinci8

davinci8 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Creative Director
    St. Louis, MO
    I had been very excited for this game, and it's release has not disappointed! I love the open-ended tactic-based play.

One thing I'm feeling is a desire for visual differences between the faction's armies (not nessisarily game mechanics because that might complicate and imbalance things), but rather different visual interpretations of each unit themed-out to add "color" to each faction — a total cosmetic tweak. Thoughts?

3. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    #63 worldcitizen1919, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    Its a very good game but needs more campaigns. The idea of runes us fantastic. Let's have a pool of runes to choose from. Say a pool of 50 where we select the 2 we want to use. If we choose wrong we pay. I think you can choose for multiplayer but I'd also like the option to choose for campaign and more campaigns and stories please.

4. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    They are iPhone only, and haven't been updated in a while, but last time I checked they still worked properly on my devices.

There's Archon Classic
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/archon/id320050617?mt=8

and Archon Conquest, which is more of a Campaign-like Archon:
    https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/archon-conquest/id331383905?mt=8

I recommend both, to be honest. The touch controls work surprisingly well, and they have improved art.

Try the Lite version if you'd like to get a taste beforehand.

As for UHR-Warlords, I played the tutorial battle until the end, so far, and my impressions are:

- The game is dark. At least for the tutorial board, it is really dark, and hard to make the grids. If that's a problem for you, go into it prepared. A gamma slider would certainly be welcome here.
    - The game feels like a cross of chess, summoner wars, and some sort of tower defense game. I wouldn't put Archon too much in this comparison, because the main similarity is that there are squares in the board that you want to conquer in order to gain an upper hand, and also the different creatures.

The chess similarities are that the pieces move in preset patterns, similar to the bishop, rook, etc. The attacks, however, are not done by moving on top of another piece, like in chess, but to adjacent (or distant) squares, and in predetermined directions, which is... interesting, I guess, but different. For instance, some pieces can only move and attack in diagonals, and you need to consider that when you place them on the board. That's the similarity to Summoner Wars.

There are also runes (which are a different word for spells, with a cooldown), and you have a maximum number of units in play at a time - which is 6 for each side.

The main resource you manage is the UHRKraft, which is similar to mana. You use it for everything: summoning, attacking, moving. There's 10 base in each turn, +2 for every "special" square your units are on top of at the beginning of the turn.

As far as the unit types, you never "spend" them, so there's not a big sense of achievement for defeating a unit. The other player can summon a new one of the exact same type in the subsequent turn. This is a bit of a change from chess, Summoner Wars, etc. When playing chess, you'll sometimes scheme to take down one of the opponent's key units. It feels very satisfying when you do it and it goes well. Here it's more like "meh". Sure, the opponent loses one hit point, but that's far from as satisfying as it could. In my opinion, a mode where each player would have exactly one unit of each type (or a small finite number of each unit) would perhaps make it feel much more interesting from a strategic point of view.

You would have to be careful as to which pieces to use, when, and how. Right now it all feels like cannon fodder, and you're just fighting until you kill 10 of the opponent's units (any units), or destroying his "towers", which count for 2 units.

That's for me the main letdown with the game - which doesn't mean much, to be honest. The game feels quite solid so far, but given its structure and nature, it might not be quite what I was expecting from it. And that's certainly fine as well - I'm sure lots of people will still appreciate it for what it is!

There might be some inaccuracies here, since I only played one battle so far, so feel free to correct me if I got something blatantly wrong.

5. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Yep, I want also diffent AI styles because I play never online! So for me the AI and different AI styles are a very important point!

6. antonioj

antonioj Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Hello, regarding multiplayer...it really needs to be asynchronous...if not it´s hard to complete a game :/

iphone support would also be great

otherwise, amazing game

7. Bewi

Bewi Well-Known Member

#67 Bewi, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    I fear this wonderful game may be in danger because of the lack of online players.

The solo content is good but very small. That's where the online multiplayer becomes useful. But I have not been able to find a player to play against yet.

Asynchronous multiplayer could ease the match-making, but it would have to allow at least 24 hours between two actions, because this is an iPad game. People will essentially play from home. Me for instance I will only play at home on evenings. So when I go to sleep, I won't be able to play another turn before 20 or so hours, on the next evening.

An iPhone version or a universal one could really really help too, but I admit I don't see how the game could be squeezed to the iPhone screen. I a no ergonomist though.

I want to see this game meet the sucess it deserves.

8. Slem

Slem Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Bergen, Norway
    I'm looking for online opponent atm. Anyone up for a battle?

9. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    So is this more of a multiplayer game? I usually prefer playing single player, should I pass on this?

10. Slem

Slem Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Bergen, Norway
    There are two single player campaigns and a custom game mode vs AI. You have a lot of options whether it be multiplayer or single player.

11. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Bought right away, to support you guys :) Not that I have time to play atm...
    Might be able to look for a few multiplayer matches on the weekend, though.

12. Slem

Slem Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Bergen, Norway
    Enjoy! I'll be playing online this weekend as well. Maybe we'll meet on the battlefield :)

13. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hm, the absence of turn-based multiplayer isn't especially encouraging here.

I played a bit of the campaign this morning, but due to time constraints I had to stop mid-battle (the battles are relatively long). Will the game save the state and allow me to continue from where I left off, or if the game is kicked out of memory, will I have to play the battle all over again?

Cheers.

14. Slem

Slem Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Bergen, Norway
    Just to clarify, the multiplayer is turn-based, just not asynchronous.

And as the game should remain in memory. There is no "save" game, but if you should exit the app via "five fingers" or the "home" button, it should keep the game in memory.

I have returned to a game really long after.

15. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Sorry, I'm still sleepy!

I meant asynchronous, of course. I do wonder how a not-turn-based multiplayer implementation of a turn-based-game would actually work. :)

About the save game, I see what you're saying, but that's really what I was hoping wouldn't be the case. That assumes that nobody does much with the iPad in between the sessions.

If the user goes on about his life, though - mail, work, other apps, etc - when we go back at the end of day, the chance that the app was booted out of memory is quite high. And given that we are talking about mobile devices, this is not an unforeseen scenario.

Thanks for the reply, though - hope the launch is going well for you guys!

16. Slem

Slem Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Bergen, Norway
    Thanks for the support guys!

17. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #77 Mack the Knife, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    and thanks for being here to answer our questions!! and by the way, i have a few if you wouldn't mind:

1. are you looking at adding save game capability in future updates? i don't leave my ipad powered on 24/7.
    2. are you at all looking at adding AI difficulty levels?
    3. again with the dark play area, any chance you'll lighten it or offer us a slider to lighten it?

- "Graphics are top notch, if a little bit dark for my liking"
    - "The game is dark. At least for the tutorial board, it is really dark, and hard to make the grids.
    "

thanks again!

18. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    +1 :)

19. Slem

Slem Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Bergen, Norway
    Hey guys! I hear you and when we have our weekly powwow tomorrow I'll discuss your feedback with the rest of the crew. As I've said earlier we want to make this the best it can be and we really appreciate the support. We aren't done with this game yet, by far :)

20. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #80 Mack the Knife, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    you sound like a politician Slem, that was a very non-committal response. you're not at liberty to even comment on whether those things i mentioned are even in the realm of possibility? will you at least give a more definitive answer once you've had your powwow? thanks...