iPhone UHR-Warlords

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Slem, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I second this. Although this is an instabuy for me, a demo might get others to buy it that might not want to buy it without seeing if they are going to enjoy playing it first.

2. rittchard

rittchard Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    The way it was explained to me is that damage (in general, I believe the wizard is fixed damage) has a range which is known to you, but the final damage is based on a die roll that's done in the background. The range is fairly small though so it's not like you are taking wild risks, particularly since you know the minimum amount that will be done.

The other thing that is not so much random but does impact the game is the location of the Uhr power spots, which depending on your strategies, may or may not be advantageous to you. I can't recall off the top of my head if they are all 100% symmetric, but my impression is that they weren't.

3. LousyHero

LousyHero Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Thanks. I dont know how I missed the premium refrence earlier in the thread. Im glad to hear it will be premium even though i didnt mind the pay model in hero academy, Id rather get everything up front. Btw love the name, The Doors are amazing.

4. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Heh, no worries, and thanks! I've been a Doors fan since about 1990. And ya, that's about when the movie came out, lol. I have all their albums on my phone.

Morrison's death was probably one of the worst things to happen to the music industry and maybe pop culture as a whole. He was like the Soctrates of his time.

5. LousyHero

LousyHero Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    I hear you there, he was a genius. Pure rock and roll hrough and through. Enough of my thread derailment hough, really looking foreward to the game. Hopefully they get a fast approval and its out this week.

6. Slem

Slem Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Bergen, Norway
  7. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Do we know the uncompressed file size of the game? Especially for the 16gb ipads, the free space is a pain in the a$$..

8. Slem

Slem Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Bergen, Norway
    The release candidate currently pending review is at ~140MB.

9. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    ok, thanks.

10. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Any hint on the price? :)

11. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Another question. Did you ever hear of a game called Navia Dratp? It was a really cool game based on Shogi (Japanese Chess) that had cool manga inspired artwork. It had some similarities to your game, such as a "currency" that you collected in game and spent for pieces to perform various abilities.

It was very fun, but it had MTG style collectible pieces. It looks like your game is a similar fantasy take on the classic Chess like strategy game, but without the collectible aspect, which is awesome.

But I have always hoped that a game like Navia Dratp would come out on iOS, and it looks like you are delivering that.

12. Slem

Slem Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Bergen, Norway
    I don't know Navia Dratp, but I looked at it at boardgamegeek and the board is the same size. As for the gameplay I really don't know :)

But I want to take a quick moment and big up my game: No battle is the same. There is no easy way of winning. Adaptation is very important. It is a game of skill and beating another human player is super satisfying and rewarding. I think it's safe to say I love it.

Sorry, got sidetracked. I'm really looking forward to see if you like it as much as I do.

UHR-Warlords will cost $6.99.

13. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Sounds like I will love it too. I can't wait to find out!

14. Slem

Slem Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Bergen, Norway
    I'll answer you here @MrMojoRisin, as I don't want to hijack First Strike's thread.

The answer is YES. It will release well before GDC San Francisco :)

And I might have some other exciting news for you guys soon!

15. Slem

Slem Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Bergen, Norway
    Last part in the series on the history of the gameplay can be found here! Hope you like it!

16. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    #56 MrMojoRisin, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    Wow, this is awesome!

Ok, so I got to play for just a little bit this morning. I played the tutorial and then some of the first campaign battle, and I am thoroughly impressed!

Here are some extremely preliminary impressions:

The tutorial is VERY well done and is a great mix of instruction and letting you "learn by doing". Also, the production values are evident from the start as the graphics, effects, music, and voice acting are all top notch!

I'm not the most strategically minded gamer out there, so the "freedom of choice" in what units to play and when can be very overwhelming at first. I personally prefer a more "MTG like" approach, where you get some options at the beginning of a game, then as it progresses and you get more resource points (like mana in MTG), you can bring out increasingly powerful forces.

That's not to say that there is none of that progression as you play a match in this game, as you start with being able to spend 10 of the resource points (called "Uhrkraft" in this game) a turn at the beginning of a battle, and as you take over certain points on the board, you add the to the total you get to spend each turn. And since EVERYTHING in the game takes Uhrkraft to do, the more you have to spend, the more strategic options you have in a given turn. Of course, since the number of Uhrkraft you have over 10 depends on those control points, it can go down just as quickly as it can go up, so it's not as steady a progression as in a game like MTG, but the game certainly rewards strategic playing and intelligent use of your resources.

Which gets me to my earlier point, which is that this is a VERY open ended tactical board game. It even goes a step above Chess in this respect, as you start with NO units on the board and it is totally up to you to decide which unit to summon, when to summon them, and where (in your starting row) to put them, as long as you have the required Uhrkraft. And you have to balance bringing new units out with using the ones that are already on the board, until you have six out, then you are not able to summon any more until one or more of them are killed. So while you have six out, you only have to worry about using what you already have on the board. This is, for me, when the game is the most fun, since you get to see how all the units you have summoned work together to forward your objectives.

And speaking of objectives, the final thing I want to go over in this early look at the game is how you win or lose. Each player starts with 10 life, and when a player loses a unit, they lose one life point. Each player also has a row of base structures on their side, and if one of those gets destroyed, that player loses two life. And as you can guess, the player that runs out of life loses the game and the other player wins. This life-based objective really fits the open nature of all of the other game's mechanics, and makes EACH piece worth defending, as losing any one brings you that much closer to losing the game.

If you are a fan of tactical board games or abstract games (even though the theming of this game is very well done, I would still categorize it as abstract), then this is a no-brainer purchase when it releases (probably very soon) on the app store. Just keep in mind that there is NO hand holding. Many people will undoubtedly love this about the game, but if you are like me and you can find such a setup overwhelming, be prepared to take some time, and a lot of plays, before you start to get your head around this very deep digital board game. But also prepare to be thoroughly entertained and engaged along the way.

17. Slem

Slem Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Bergen, Norway
    Thank you for the kind words. We're really looking forward to release this game :)

18. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Bumping this. Did they just combine the iPhone/iPod Touch and iPad upcoming games into one forum?

19. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Yeah, they just combined the upcoming iPad and iPhone threads as well as the iPhone and iPad game threads.

20. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Hoping we see this on the AppStore in less than a week if the devs decide to launch upon approval. Hopefully:)