Unmechanical (Universal) 2.99 >>> FREE

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by one.sixty.four, Sep 3, 2013.

1. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    I too had this on my AppShopper. My WishList is more of an 'app manager' than it is a 'freebie tracker' in that every single app of interest I add to my WishList initially. Even those apps that I instabuy get added and then switched over to the 'Own It' section. Some games fall between the cracks and get forgotten about, but the WishList assures that they don't get lost completely. There are times when I put a game like Unmechanical on my WishList and get it for free. There are other games that are instabought and end up going free in a month or two. It's a crap chute and mathematically, it almost always evens out.

One should only feel guilty if this 50/50 relationship is being undermined, where you're never buying any games and wait for everything to go free. These games go free for promotional reasons. As long as you are contributing to the 'flow' and being part of the iOS scene by buying games on a regular basis, then there is nothing wrong with sucking up a freebie, since you playing the game indirectly contributes.

There is also nothing wrong with being a selective consumer and waiting for a sale for any product that you are only partially interested in. This is a universal concept.

All that aside, I am not really sold on the graphics of this game. Is it just me, or do they look washed out? The controls are iffy as well. The touch feels awkward on my phone and the joystick should be invisible, not enormous and blocking half the screen.

Thoughts?

2. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    To add to my above comment and without getting too deep into it, I understand the dudes stance on piracy. He's right, DRM doesn't guarantee that the person will buy the game. He says you can't force someone to buy.

But with DRM measures taken, it helps from people stealing the software. Sure it won't force them to go out and buy it, but so what, that consumer wouldn't buy it anyway. I'm sure a lot of people that, if they could, would play the game by pirating it. This takes sales from the developer. But if they aren't able to pirate it, they would have to purchase it if they want to play. That's how things in life work. You buy things you like. I don't understand this self entitlement and exactly where it comes from.

The other day I saw a bunch of readers on Kotaku argue this exact point of view. But it's a gigantic fail in logic and should be understood that you buy things you want in life, only criminals steal. How would you feel if you poured time, sweat, and tears into a game you designed, only to have a bunch of people pirate it? Than they say they wouldn't have bought it anyway. Of course they say that after they pirated and played it. So how do they even know they wouldn't have bought it?

If the developer puts it up for free, have at it. But pirating is going around the developer and taking it without permission.

Sorry, none of that was targeted directly at you, Chimpman, it's just how I feel in general about that.

3. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Well said, completely agree.

I can't give an impression on Unmechanical yet. But I'll try to leave one here after I play!

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I agree with this. There are games on my Wish List that I would have bought eventually that go on sale or are free before I get them. Then there are games that I was on the fence on and that is where these promotions can really help. If you like a game you got free, you are more likely to support a dev's future efforts. So yes, if you participate in the overall market, then there's certainly nothing wrong with grabbing a freebie. I instabuy enough - probably too much.

I just get irked when people say they really wanted an app and waited, purposely, for it to go free. If everyone had that mentality, we'd lose even more talented devs than we already do.

Sorry, knee jerk reaction.

5. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    Just to clarify, This was the case for me :)

I've edited my original post to fix the wording as to not cause any more conflicts. Sorry everyone if I rustled your jimmies!

6. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Wow, this is an awesome surprise, to say the least! Grabbing now, very happily indeed. :)

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Woah... Im surprised you didnt have this AK.

8. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #28 Coldar, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    Very well said as I also use my wish listings to catalog games for a variety of reasons such as finding the ratings, reviews, what other games the dev may have, etc. Basically a research device on what games of interest I might want later on even if not on sale or free. I will take advantage of sales or a freebie if alerted and can fit time to play but I've no regrets as I buy many games at full price as well.

On the game....think I'll pass as just not my type to hold interest.

9. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Interesting theory, but I used url rather than appinfo tags because there was no clickable link within the appinfo in the TA app.

10. Cynuyt

Cynuyt Well-Known Member

Great adventure game like Badland. Wonderful art style and music.

11. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    What you also got to understand is, these 'pirates' actually make a real purchase of the app, before they use a tool on Cydia to 'crack' the app and share it with everyone else. So really, what devs really need to to is add some sort of code that prevents the app for cracking.

12. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    My buying strategy is simple. If I really want something I buy it at full price and if I'm not sure I wait till a sale. I get a bit annoyed on occasion when things go free or on sale very quickly (scurvy scallywags for example) but soon get over it. I just upgraded to a touch 5th gen and bought bastion for its full price even tho its likely to go on sale again because I really wanted it but this I've just picked up now because I wasn't sure.

13. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    That would be hard for a developer, cydia software such as Appckr uses scripts which modify apples drm and removes purchase information, things that aren't handled by the developer, but by apple when an app is submitted, and apple have several times updated their drm and so the crackers update their scripts

14. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    So what we need to understand is, what motivates a pirate to share purchased apps with others? Recognition? Idk.

15. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah pretty much that, I guess like the piracy "scene" that release movies that end up on torrents, no money in it, just the honor of being first to release I guess

16. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Yeah the TA app is finicky on the deals forum. Typically page 1 will have no link but sometimes the other pages in a thread will show the appinfo mini block of info with a link button at the top. Most if the time though there's no link. Not sure if this mostly affects iPhone/iPodTouch, iPad, or if it affects them equally. It's been an issue the entire time I've posted here and used the app.

17. best

best Well-Known Member

I cant wait to try. Nice find.

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    For money. I knew one person before who ripped movies and PS1 games and he gets paid for uploading them online. Well, i dont personally know him, but i saw him in a local coffee shop and people liked him, talking about why he does these things, and how he does it, and some just request for stuff. o_O

That was a few years back, but i dont think he'd stop ripping stuff coz for him it's a living.

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Dood... your posts are really ignorant.

Devs make their apps for money. Hackers crack it, mostly for the fun of it, only a few do it for money. So who do you think will almost always be available to do what they do? Devs or hackers?