Untitled Retro Platformer - Scylla Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Charybdis, May 21, 2012.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Definitely looking forward to this. :)

2. Charybdis

Charybdis Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Good to hear from you again mate.

I've been working hard on the game and added a lot of new features.
    Today I added iCade support, which was easier than expected.

3. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    That would be awesome. I'm really going to have to look into get one of those iCade devices, because that would make games like this quite entertaining (though I'm sure it will be just as fun to play without an iCade :) )

4. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Oh man, I just got the best musician on board.
    It's going to be so cool!!!

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Welll i helped out the dev for a bit yesterday to test icade controls and what buttons to use (League of evil uses the second set of black buttons, Stardash uses the first). The controls work very well on icade, its great when an indie dev adds icade support (He said it was much easier than he thought) so why dont bigger companies add it ? Frustrating.

Anyway i had an early early alpha version of the game to test with iCade, i love the graphics, the jumping/shooting work fine, the game just looks great. Looking forward to when this comes out. Top marks to the dev

6. CarnageGamer

CarnageGamer Active Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Wow, this sure feels very retro. The good old days of gameboy. It would be great to have some gameboy style music to add to the experience.

7. BluesClues

BluesClues Active Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Really looking forward to this. Will there be beta?:)

8. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Yeah, probably there'll be a beta. I have already got a small group of people who will test it, but I might be looking for others.
    Cheers

9. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    This looks really well thought out, retro-perfect and polished. Hoping for a lot of content and a smooth path to release. :)

10. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Should you decide to expand your crew, I'd be interested as well. I love platform games, I love retro games, and I do have a bit of experience beta testing.

11. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Whatever happened to "Glade" by the way?

12. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Hi everyone,
    Sorry it's been so long, but just to let you know I have released a pre-alpha demo of the game. Unfortunately it is windows only at the moment, but if anyone would like a little play with it, you can find it here.
    There's still a lot to do and I wont be starting beta testing for a while, but the core gameplay is there so go ahead and let me know what you think.
    Cheers.

[​IMG]

13. phongtt

phongtt Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2012
  14. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Thanks phongtt
    Yeah, that's exactly what I used for the sounds. However, I do have a guy working on the music and sfx, so the sounds that are in now are just placeholders really.
    It's a very useful tool though eh?
    Cheers

15. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Just tried the pre-alpha on Windows 7, I have got to say, I am loving it! I see you have found a title for the game as well (Nine Lives). The game runs really smoothly, the graphics look amazing and I can see you have put a lot of work into developing the game. Look forward to see how it is implemented on iOS!

16. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Awesome, can't wait to try it. Too bad I have to wait until I go home tonight.

17. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Hi skeletonlord,
    Thanks very much. Glad you like it. I have to say I was worried it might not work on other peoples systems. I always forget to include the right DLLs, or hardcode a path or something like that. So that's great.
    I'm currently working on the logic routines of later bosses, it's jolly good fun.

18. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Does anyone know how to change the name of this thread? Do I need to contact an administrator?
    If anyone can change it, I'd like to change it to "Nine Lives - Scylla Games"
    Thanks

19. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    You will need to message a moderator, yes. I'd suggest you do that, rather than keep it at "Untitled".

20. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    I have added a functon to render an entire level into a large image. Here is level 4 of the demo. The later levels are going to be huge, so a map will be very useful.
    I got the idea from browsing vgmaps.com
    I am also thinking about making a huge poster with all the maps packed in. What do you think? Have any of you done something similar? Anyone got any complete level images like this? I'd love to see.