Untitled Retro Platformer - Scylla Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Charybdis, May 21, 2012.

1. Charybdis

Charybdis Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Hi all,
    Just a quick request:
    If anone has some time and is running windows and has a gamepad, I'd appreciate it if you could test the demo of my game and see if the gamepad works for you.
    I know the iOS version works with iCade but I havent tested the gamepad code yet.
    My mac broke and I was without it for a long time so I havent had a chance to make a Mac version, but it will come soon.
    You can find the demo on indie-db, or here directly.
    Cheers

2. emdash

emdash Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2012
    artist / Art Director
    Oakland, CA
    Coming late to the thread here but I just wanted to pop in and say that this looks great and I'm especially impressed with the graphics. I see a lot of games where the artist gets carried away in detailing the background or just doesn't take contrast into account so it's not always easy to ready characters against the backdrops. Here it looks like you've really kept strong contrast in the forefront of your mind when designing so everything reads really clearly. It looks great! Cute animations too. Good luck with it!

3. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    I just left a reply on your game thread. I cant believe I got praise for my graphics from the ultimate master artist. :eek:
    Good luck with your game too. It's gorgeous, original and very fun.
    Cheers mate!

4. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    New trailer

5. Berto5154

Berto5154 Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Looks nice great work, cannot wait to play.

6. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Is the music in the trailer also in the game? Loving it. Cant wait for a release!

7. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Geez, the game looks awesome! Can't wait to get my hands on it, the boss fights definitely look epic.

So, the name for the game is Nine Lives?

8. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Yup, you have nine lives. You play as a cat in a retro platforming world.

It is actually very fun, and I fully support the game in its development.

9. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    #49 Charybdis, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
    Hey, thanks everyone

@Jdragoon19 Dont worry, you are the first on my list. I still have you on my testflight.

@CygnetSeven Yeah, I got a great musician working on the game. He is making loads of tracks and is a genius at chiptunes. Love it!

I have just made a kickstarter campaign over at indiegogo: http://www.indiegogo.com/nine-lives?a=745265

I'm in the last stretch of development but funds are rapidly growing thin, so if you are feeling generous and would like to donate, please give it a look. There are multiple perks, such as pre ordering the game, getting the soundtrack, tshirts, getting credited, naming levels and even getting the source code. If you can't or don't want to donate, I'd still appreciate a simple tweet or facebook message in that direction. Or perhaps just subscribe to one of my feeds.
    To start the ball rolling, I will give a promocode of my music player "Wave Player" to the first 30 people to donate at least $5. It will soon have an update with more visualisers to choose from, such as this, this, this and this.
    Cheers, I really appreciate your support.

Here is another gameplay video:

10. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Looks GREAT!

Any chance those torches will animate? And what about parallax scrolling? Either way, this does look awesome! Good luck with the launch!:)

11. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Yes, actually I have thought of both.
    I probably wont do parallax scrolling. Some of my other games have that but I feel it's more of a 16 bit thing than 8 bit, if that makes sense. I want to keep the game quite gameboy-y.
    As for the torches, I agree it looks a bit strange. Currently they are baked into the background tile system, but I could easily make them animated sprite objects. It's easy to do, but would take quite a bit of time and I have higher priorities at the moment. So my answer is...perhaps. :D

12. BluesClues

BluesClues Active Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Any chance that im on the beta test list to? Ive always been a sucker for gameboy style platformers, i even play my old gameboy every once in a while. Ive been following this since you made this thread, waiting anxiously for release, but id love to beta test if you have room for me:)

13. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Unfortunately I dont have a gameboy any more, but I sometimes like to watch longplay videos of classic games on youtube. Ah, I love that nostalgic feeling.

I'll probably be starting beta testing early in a week or two. I'll certainly keep you in mind.

Thanks for your interest :)

14. dennis40

dennis40 Active Member

Just looked at the screenshot and I think that this is awesome :). Remind me of when I borrow my friend's gameboy all the time to play Mario.
    Good luck with your game

15. BirdBoy

BirdBoy Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I'd have to say the game looks great, but not really game boy type look. Just looks like a monochrom snes game to me. That being said still looks good and would love to see your next game be even closer to a game boy game look.

16. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Yeah, you're right, but shhhhhh! Hehe
    My textures are 8bit grayscale, so that is 256 levels of grey. Initially I tried to use a very restrictive palette, but I soon got bored with that so I probably have a palette of about 12 shades now (but I'm not counting).

Actually, I did think of writing a shader that would simulate the feeble LCD pixels (and shadows) on the greeny-yellow screen, complete with slow pixel fading. I didn't do that because I only have a 2nd gen ipod touch so I cant test shaders on my device. Perhaps for my next retro game I will go back and do that. Or if I make enough money from this game to buy a new device, maybe I will make an updated version.

17. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Here's a punch in the face of pure nostalgia!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWjh00nuSoU

18. BluesClues

BluesClues Active Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Im so in love with this game. I cant wait!<3

19. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Hehe, thanks mate. Hopefully you wont have to wait too much longer

20. BluesClues