Universal Vectrex - (by Rantmedia)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Just buy it again ... you will see that a pop up window will come that you have already purchased it and that it will cost you nothing!

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Do love this app but I wish the buttons would be better. Eg scramble. I don't need 4 buttons on screen when playing in an iPod

Just wish they would add more games to it as theres plenty of homebrew ones

3. drach

drach Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Is anyone else having problems under iOS 7? I'm crashing a lot on my ipad air.

4. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Yep! I wrote them ... sadly after giving them a bad Review because of the iPad Air bug they never gave me any answer ... they only wrote me that a one star Review is not fair ... and after that never be heard of again ... :(

5. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I bought this a couple days ago. I had it freeze switching games once, but it's been running pretty well on the iPhone 4S (iOS 7.0.4). I hope the developer can get the iOS 7 issues sorted out. I'd love to see an update with some more games. Clean Sweep would be a cool game to add.

6. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    It runs well on all other iDevices ... but on the iPad Air it does not run at all ... you can play one or two minutes without sound ... after that or if you go back to the main menu the game freezes complete ... so poor that the developer does not answer any more ...

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Great news is theres an update now to fix ipad air issues.

I'm very glad as this is one app i have to have working when i upgrade at some point. Still love playing this on the iCade, amazing.

Wish they would add more homebrew titles or fix the buttons, eg on Scramble i dont need 4 buttons on the right hand side. But still thankful they've done this great app

8. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Yep, nice Update ... my five star rating is back now ... :D

Nevertheless I agree ... some more indie games would be nice ...

And there are also some original titles like Minestorm 2 which is not in this App ... :(

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Not that we really know or not but IF it didnt sell as well as they thought i doubt we'll get lots of new games added for it.

I think its quite a niche game, i've always wondered what younger iOS fans think of this, they might see it and think 'nope looks too old'. To me the vector graphics are amazing, i never had a Vectrex as a kid but i do appreciate how amazing (and expensive !) it was at the time. But yeah would love to see more games added but i admit i'm over the moon having this app with me at all times on my phone (But with an icade/ipad its even better)

I hope the Colecovision app does come to fruition but the amount of money they were asking on kickstarter i thought was obscene

10. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    I had a Vextrex Console ... and five or six games ... it was amazing! I really don't know how many hours I spent with it ... :D

The graphics were simple, yes ... but ... the gameplay was really great ... and still it is.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Exactly thats the key thing to me, gameplay. Can add stunning graphics to games but if they've got no gameplay it doesnt matter.

I doubt we'll get more games added to this app (never know though) but again just having Minestorm/Scramble on it is brilliant. Essential app for anyone whos over 30 !

12. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    #152 m44, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    Totally agree. :) I didn't have a real Vectrex back in the day. . . I did have an original Atari VCS though. I enjoy playing a lot of the Vectrex games. I think the games really lose something in black and white, so playing the official app with the screen overlays is nice. . . .

I wonder what kind of deals the developer had to make to get the rights to the games? Apple is taking a big chunk of that IAP, and they either had to pay upfront for the games, or offer a percentage of the profits.

I waited until I had a iTunes gift card to buy this, but I wish I bought it earlier. It plays great on the iCade. I'm glad they updated it.

13. drach

drach Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Ah, finally updated! Now off to download it and try it out. I had a Vectrex back in the day until my joystick broke down. After that, it was very difficult to find a replacement one. I'm so glad this is on my Ipad now. Minestorm and Scramble were the best! Star Castle was great too.

14. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    I still have a working Vextrex, but living in the desert I have to be really careful with the overlays. They are getting very brittle. My only complaint with the app is that on screen controls are a bit difficult, especially on the phone. Pretty cramped.

15. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    On the iPad or iPad Pro it looks great! On my iPhone 6s+ it is tiny ... but it works! And now the MiFi controller is also supported.

But: The 2.0 update is buggy! It does not work if the language is set to German! The developer knows this and wrote me that he is working on the fix.

16. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    What, a new update!?:eek::)

It was on my wishlist for a long time, I almost forgot about it.
    Now I wanted to buy the IAP with all the games and tried to open the app, but it won't even start!:(
    I'm on iPad mini with ios 8.
    Anyone else with this problem?

17. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I still don't get the on screen controls. I have tried to play armored tank and it's unplayable. Nothing I've tried is playable.

So it's no joy for me.

Billy

18. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    That doesn't sound good.:(
    So you bought the games, but can't control them?
    Is it because of the new update?

I hope they fix it soon, I wanna play some Vectrex!:D

19. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I've apparently always had them. I had it uninstalled. I'm assuming due to the same issue. I saw the update and reinstalled it. I went to try out the different games but using the on screen controls is just terrible. I tried to see if there was a way to make things better but I couldn't find a way.

Billy

20. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    That's sad, I thought it would be even better with the update.
    Maybe they're reading this thread!?
    You should drop them an email.