iPad Wacoon Jump! - 2D Platformer

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Toad In The Hole, Apr 16, 2012.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Alrighty... So... Going through world 1, I had quite a few crashes... But it wasn't game breaking or anything.

Now in World 2 since last night, and after about another hour of trying to progress through the game, and I can't get through the first level of world 2 because of all the crashing.

4th gen touch, iOS 5.1, never jailbroken, cleared multitasking bar, hard reset... No luck.

I'd start playing on my iPad if it weren't for the controls positioning...

But I guess the good news... I got comfortable with the d-pad and the inertia by the end of world 1. So there's a plus. =oP

2. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I like the game, but I must say, I like it in spite of the controls. I understand getting used to the d-pad, and I have to a degree. I understand the idea behind the inertia, and can accept that, especially in light of the dev's promised fixes. However, when you get to a stage like 1-6, where there are some TINY platforms, I must admit that I get frustrated strictly due to control issues. In some instances, it's really not a skill issue. There are other small instances, like less than responsive power-up buttons (the bombs don't always work as advertised, and the spinning power-up doesn't always respond to the button), but there is such potential, that I continue to play. I just hope that the wrinkles get ironed out before new levels are added.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Funny -- the tiny platforms are frustrating for me strictly because of the inertia. I have no problem directing the character to the platform, I have problems hitting the precise spot that would allow me to stay on the platform.

Haven't had a problem with responsiveness on the action button, and I'm willing to bet that you don't have a problem with that either. The issue for me is actually finding the button when you need it, since it's placed so far away from the jump button. BTW, bombs don't work if you don't have the space to throw them.

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Tiny platforms have been my issue as well, but not really due to the controls as much as due to the inertia. I've gotten a little frustrated sliding off the edge of some of them -- either falling to my death or five levels down where I have to trek all the way back (losing time in the process). Level 1-5 was one such level where it game me some problems. But I got through it, eventually.

Overall though, I'm really digging it. Very polished and, if there was just a little tweaking to the controls/inertia (to me the inertia is more of an issue as it seems even a little more floaty than games like Mario), it could be an iOS classic.

EDIT: Well, squarezero beat me to it. Sounds like he feels similar on the inertia issue.

5. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    You're both right. It definitely is an inertia issue. I should have made that more clear. It could certainly be that the button placement has caused some problems, as I wasn't aware about the bomb issue.

6. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Wait... so does this run on 2nd gens?

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Sorry, no, it doesn't. Don't know if you noticed my device has changed to a 3GS so for past month or two, I've been lucky enough to play some of these (and catching up on plenty of others I missed).

But I feel your pain.

8. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    Love a good platformer, and this looks like fun. I only wish the scrolling (when jumping) were silk smooth. Going to grab it later regardless...

9. PlayFripp

PlayFripp Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    Dev dev dev dev :p
    Lyon, FR
    @MeanTuna
    My pleasure ;)

@metalcasket
    Thanks again! And yes, you should absolutely repost that great YES video XD

@syntheticvoid
    Oh what a shame... sorry :( From the release I have received 18 crash reports (on more than 1200 playings), I will see if I can quickly fix some of them. But your are the first one that have so many crashes on a single level :( Will do my best to fix that, but the inertia and the controls are, as you (all) pointed, my top priority (I already started to fix those issues).

Again, thanks to all of you for your very precise and important feedbacks ;)
    All your post are really a chance for me to make the game betters!

PS: Please tell me if you do not understand some of my comments, because my english level isn't really high :p

10. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Nah, you're doin great. Thank you for being so responsive here on the forums. It's always great having a developer who's active in the conversation. =o)

11. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I just reached 2-7 tonight and am continually astonished at the diversity of the level designs. Wawa has some very creative and challenging gameplay - It is a wonder why it hasn't yet been featured on the main site, even just a quick mention of it in the weekly releases. We get ShowGun but no Wawa! Where's the love?

12. PlayFripp

Apr 5, 2012
    Lyon, FR
    @retr0spective
    Thanks again :D

By the wayn I am now completing the custom d-pad system and the fix for the inertia. I will try to send it this weekend so it would be available in about 1 week :)

13. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Greetings,

In retrospect, Wawa Land may have been overlooked here because it came out a day earlier than the other mid-week releases. Hopefully a full feature review is in the works. It did get runner-up for AppAdvice's game of the week (http://bit.ly/Ic0IBE) and a featured review (http://bit.ly/I3dG5l).

As I am playing, I have been thinking about the controls and think it might be useful to add the following as a customization possibility: Swipe up for bomb throw - Swipe down for ground pound/slide. Because we don't really seem to use the up arrow, it would allow you to simplify the d-pad to left right only without adding another button for the ground pound and also it would make throwing bombs easier to accomplish. Just an idea - I am really enjoying the game and wish you much success and support.

14. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    it might be a little hard to run and then slide if you had to swipe down to do it...

Maybe just removing the up button would be better... leave it as left/right/down.

I just hate the idea of swiping controls in a platformer... But I guess having as many options as you can for controls is always a good idea.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Same here, really dont want swipes in this game.

Looking forward to trying out the modified controls once the updates out. Great little game

16. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    oh yeah, I should also mention...

Last night, I cleared up a lot of space on my iPod, and now I've got 11 GB free, and the game is running fine. No more crashes on level 2-1... so yay! Sorry I didn't try that before posting here about the crashes... I didn't notice I only had 800MB of space left... =o/

Anywho... yup... definitely looking forward to the update.

17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Been going back and forth between this and other games, but man I gotta keep plugging away at this. Just in the first world there's so much diversity and great level design. But I'm having a whale of a time getting past the race at the end of the world.

I'll keep on trying...as I'm dying to see where world 2 will take me.

18. PlayFripp

Apr 5, 2012
    Lyon, FR
    Hi to all,
    I hope you are all fine ;)

So here are some screenshots of the 1.01's ui customization system that is now done:

[​IMG]
    The new button on the bottom right part will leads you to the ui customization system.

[​IMG]
    Here is the new system, with the controls with their default positions and scales.

[​IMG]
    You can use a two different styles for the controls: the classic and this one which is more discrete.

[​IMG]
    Here is a custom setup with the new style.

[​IMG]
    Here is a custom inverted setup with the classic style.

As you may noticed, there is also a "free mode" which removes the pad from the view. It will only appear when you touch the screen. Personally I prefer static pads, but it works well with a small scale.

Here is the whole changelog:
    v1.01:
    - MAJOR CHANGES -
    - FIX - HUD - Scaled up the default pad. Fixed the default buttons' positions and scales.
    - ADD - HUD - Added UI's controls customization system (pad's free mode, pad's/buttons' positions, scale, style)
    - FIX - GAMEPLAY - Now Wawa has less inertia thanks to the players' reports, and especially thanks to the community of TouchArcade
    - FIX - EXTERNAL - Fixed the hyperlink to rate the app

- MINOR CHANGES -
    - FIX - HUD - Fixed dynamic camera gap when running
    - FIX - GAMEPLAY - Fixed the score's display of blue boxes to match the number of coins on hit (if it contains coins)
    - FIX - GAMEPLAY - Fixed issue when going into a sub zone (chest / room) and Wawa being killed but going to the next area
    - FIX - GFX - Fixed title screen icons
    - FIX - GFX - Fixed dash's dust emitter vertical position
    - FIX - WORLD 1-1 - Changed item contained in the first hidden blue box
    - FIX - WORLD 1-1 - Deleted unused stuff
    - FIX - BGM - Looping victory's and title screen's background music (thanks to ildu for pointing this)
    - FIX - BGM - Fixed invincible background music playing when Wawa is in a new sub zone and was invincible before
    - FIX - TITLESCREEN - Fixed sound button not resuming background music
    - ADD - TITLESCREEN - Added finger scrolling with velocity on game's informations and infinite looping (thanks to ildu for pointing this)
    - ADD - TITLESCREEN - Added the TouchArcade community in the thanks
    - ADD - TITLESCREEN - Added "thank you!" polaroid at the end of the credits
    - ADD - TITLESCREEN - Added a splash image to show last update major changes

It is about 2 in the morning now in France, and I have been working since 18 hours... I will sleep a bit and send it tomorrow to Apple (after an interview of the french television!!... I need to clean my loft lol) ;)

Please, as always give me feedbacks :p And thanks again :)

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Excellent work! Get some rest -- you've earned it!

20. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yup, looks FANTASTIC! Also excited about the fixes, definitely gonna be a great update to get. Thank you!!!