Universal Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf - (by HeroCraft Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 26, 2014.

1. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Didn't take long for this game to hit my two most hated pet pieves. 1. Can't turn off the music without also turning off all the sound (this is the most stupid decision in all of game design). 2. You can't reset your progress in case you think you might have missed something and want to go back and run through it again.

Other that those two things (so far) it looks to me a dynamite game.

2. TokyoDan

Oct 7, 2010

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Heh, yeah, that does sound terrible :) And yeah, either a lot to do, or ways to force responses (the customizeable turn and match timers I mention in my post).

(Note that this is highly subjective, though. In general, I agree with you completely. However, in some rare few games, I enjoy logging in, performing one simple action/choice, and then waiting for hours or days for the next. Can't quite say why, but it might have something to do with the relaxed, undemanding feel this generates. Ascension can be like this at times.

I've a friend who only wants to play multiplayer like that, simple choices with much time in between.)

4. TokyoDan

Oct 7, 2010
    Have you tried Galaxy Trucker? They do have a lot of async (and real-time) options although I can't tell the difference. And they do have ways to set the length of async matches. but seems like most players ( of which there are fewer and fewer) setup matches with looong turn times, then play in a very uninterested way. I haven't given up on it yet though. I'v mostly been joining others' games but I'm going to setup a real fast async game and see what happens. But sadly it seems like the game is dying.

BTW. You seem like the type of guy who would have liked The old turn-based games where you submitted you turn bupy email. Laser Squad Nemisis ?

5. TokyoDan

Oct 7, 2010
    For some reason I get the feeling that I' really going to like this game like i haven't liked a game for a very long time.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Out worldwide now

7. DanRiverBrew

DanRiverBrew Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Promo code still works btw

TARCADESOFT

Is there any other Promo codes besides that one? please share.

8. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Sooo, are the freemium elements fair in this? Can you actually finish the campaign without hitting a pay wall?

9. EpicGamerDude

EpicGamerDude Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Seems about time to send my ipad2 out to pasture and get that iPad Air. What with this, the pokemon trading card game, bioshock, more and more games will require at least ipad 3.

10. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Far as I can tell so far, you'd just be purchasing stuff to buy cards with, sort of like Hearthstone. I don't see energy or timers or anything like that. Just "get better gear."

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Wanted to, but this tablet-centric mentality of board games producers leaves my iPhone 6 in the cold ;)

Yeah, it does seem like many prefer slow games with long turn timers. I think this is especially true for digital board game players, and that Space Wolf will see much faster games even in async mode. But this seems to confirm some of what I wrote in my previus post, that many do like to play even fast-paced games at a slow, turn-by-turn pace.

From what I've been given to understand, Galaxy Trucker primarily suffers from a tad too simplistic design, and that while this works well when board games are a social event, and friends can gather around and half the enjoyment stems from each others' company, a digital translation might need more complexity to keep the interest of players. This might be why the player base is failing already.

Yer spot on! :) I so would have. And yet, I missed that whole paradigm (which is partially why I am so glad for the rise of async, as I had already started transitioning away from desktop gaming by the early 2000s), even in Civ, a series I've played extensively.

And Laser Squad Nemesis is perhaps the play-by-email sports I'd most like to have participated in. It would make a very, VERY nice iOS asynchronous port, so... any devs with expertise in TBS and async reading this... hintedihinthint ;)

The campaign can be finished, and equally important, each of the two primary currencies can be gathered infinitively by replaying missions. No absolute paywalls. There are timers, but only for squad members (a mechanic that seems strangely tacked on to squeeze some small extra profit), and when you've unlocked the extra members with in-game currency (Scout and Terminator packages, gives two new squad members of said class, 30 cards each, and two new classes for your hero. Go for these before anything else), this seems to be a minor hindrance.

First-time rewards for missions are very generous (the Scout and Terminator cost 5000 credits each, and these are probably the two biggest purchases in the game. Many missions give 1000-2000+ credits if you clear all objectives), while replay rewards are minimal (100 credits). So far, seems to create a nice balance between grinding and no developer profit ;)

12. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    Tempting but i'm fed up with fremium timers and other marketing mechanics to sell a game at a price 3 times higher compared to a console or pc game. Make a good game, ask a descent price and believe in the quality of your production, that's my advice to all devs. Just payed 17,99€ for battle academy2 with a smile and my ipad is loaded with premium games. By the way, i think that the upgrading of cards is a very weak strategic approach so that's another reason for me to pass.

13. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    #113 PoloBaquerizoH, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    Yes, shame there isn't even a premium option way to play this game, I'm in the same case as you

14. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Been playing this for weeks and it hasn't been an issue for me. My only advice is try it. It's amazingly good. May not be perfect for you but you might still enjoy it.

15. Praymettin

Praymettin Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    I was waiting for this like a pup waiting for his food bowl and it was out! Installed and ran the app. It said it is compatible with iphone 5 and up only. All the iphones 4s and below eliminated, Space Wolves style XD. But it also said that it is an "issue" so, can I hope this will one day be working on 4s? Will there be glory for the Long Fangs again?

16. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Holy crap! I didn't think I was going to be able to play this until I got another iPad! Woot ! Thank you devs!

Can't wait to jump into this bad boy!

17. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Sort of like it sort of don't. Could have been an awesome premium game.

Oh well, another one for the trash bin. Awesome graphics and animations.

18. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    So you one star it?

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The worldcitizen game release cycle involves hating a game, posting that you're deleting it, rating it one star, actually playing it, then enjoying it. Right now we're on step 3 of 5.

20. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Connection required