Universal Warhammer 40K : Storm of Vengeance - (by Eutechnyx Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
  2. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Yes it is the link works for me to my UK store, thanks!

3. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I totally dig this game.. Excellent tutorial if only developers take some hints on how to make a perfect tutorial.. We ain't playing flappy bird...

Minor complaints
    It needs internet connection between levels I think I got dumped when I lost connection saying needed assets or something
    Another one why can't use the dial function to select abilities instead or pulling left right etc

Other than that it's a nice game at least something different a new kind of game.. Good job!!!

4. beelzebubble

beelzebubble Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    This game seems pretty cool after having finished 3 missions.

Nice tutorial, cool world and just, in general, has a nice level of polish.

It does appear to need some polish, though. It has crashed two or three times (not a major problem as it saves pretty much exactly where you are) and runs a little sluggishly on an iPod 5th gen.

Also the DLC descriptions are pretty vague. Which are new factions? Which are just new units?

5. Namorat

Namorat Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Thanks to Total Biscuit I will stay away from this game.

6. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Your loss, TB's review was pretty early in the beta, and was riddled with inaccuracies.

7. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    It's out in Canada now!

8. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I'd hold off on the DLC for now, I think it might not be working, or priced, as intended. I asked on their FB page, will see what the response is.

9. Opinion

Opinion Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I'm almost positive he mentioned that a few times as well. Hearthstone and this make this week one of the best i've ever seen.

10. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I want to try their other game Ninja cats vs Samurai Dogs now after seeing this. But looks like they increased the price on that and it used to be free. Not sure if I want to spend $3 to "test it out".

11. DefyRaiderZ

DefyRaiderZ New Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Need an an internet connection for this I shall pass now

12. cameron331

cameron331 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Yep, Eutechnyx made Ride to Hell: Retribution. If you haven't heard of it, I highly recommend looking up reviews, they're very entertaining.

I haven't played this and I won't unfairly assume it's bad, but there's no way I'll take a chance on this dev without some more reviews.

13. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I'll second that.

14. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Does it support cloud save ?

15. beelzebubble

beelzebubble Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I really dig the gameplay in this. It seems to offer a lot of strategic options for a line defense game. I'm up to day 7 with the marines.

Unfortunately, I'm finding it nigh unplayable on a 5th gen iPod. It completely freezes at points when there is too much going on and even at best has a very chunky framerate. At $5 the devs better get on this and stabilize the game somehow.

Unless it's an aberration just affecting my iPod. Anybody else experiencing the same thing?

16. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    What inaccuracies? How exactly is this release better than the self-ripped-off pile of crap we saw in his video?

17. breender

breender Active Member

Apr 5, 2012
    I want to try this game but can't find it in Hong Kong App store... is the game really released world wide?

18. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Well, for one thing, TB claims that SoV is almost exactly the same as Ninja Cats vs Samurai Dogs. He conveniently doesn’t expand upon this, namely as the games are actually quite different. While they use the same core system, the same can be said for a lot of games in a similar genre. NCvSD has a single faction layout with 3 units, which work on a rock, paper, scissors style counter system. Factions in SoV are different, having different units, abilities, upgrades, etc., and the combat between units works differently. The way resource generation and buildings work in NCvSD is not the way it works in SoV. Upgrades and abilities work differently in SoV. SoV has multiplayer. Etc. Etc. Basically TB conveniently decides not to mention the massive differences between the two games, instead choosing to post a few strategically taken screen clips and claim the two games are the same. This is about as honest as taking two different RTS games or FPS games, or really any two games with some base similarities, taking captions at a moment that looks especially similar, and then claiming that they are obviously the same.

Once you realize TB’s comparison claim is false, what else is there in the video that actually reviews the game? I certainly don’t think the game will be for everyone, but the TB video has been posted and reposted by people that have not played the game themselves, and it is not much of a review or even a preview, and a pretty weak source to determine the quality of a game. It’s a shame, as it is a fun game as evidenced by the reactions of the majority who actually play it.

19. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    Actually I think that would be pretty honest in most cases. In my opinion 90% of the things we call "RTS" or "FPS" are indeed the same game design, give or take a few little gimmicks here and there. What we call "genres" in video games has become a "smoke screen" for ripping off an old design and putting a new coat of paint on it. Most FPS games are still just Doom clones and most RTS games are just copying Dune 2 ruleset-wise. I know there are a lot of superficial and technical differences, but the core ruleset is extremely similar. Genres are just these huge checklists of rules your game has to contain, they're like design blueprints. To the point where people have trouble calling something like "Dawn of War" an RTS, because there's basically no base-building. So they invent things like "real-time tactics" (RTT). It just doesn't fit the incredibly restrictive RTS formula, which indeed consists of one game design.

If you look at board games, they do things very differently. "Genres" in board games are basically just "core mechanisms". But apart from that fundamentally different games can arise. When a board game designer decides to make a "worker placement game", then he's completely free as far as supporting mechanisms go. When a video game designer decides to make an "RTS", well, then he actually doesn't have a job anymore, because the design is already there for him to take.

20. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    So is this game bad because people had too high expectations or because it is really bad? If you are a fan on the genre, would you enjoy it or not?