Universal Warhammer 40K : Storm of Vengeance - (by Eutechnyx Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 2, 2014.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm a big Warhammer fan so i was quite excited when i saw this but it just seems to be a standard game but with the 'Warhammer' name attached to it. Its like when a Star Wars game comes out, its great until you see it and its just a standard generic game with a Star Wars name attached to it.

2. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I know nothing about warhammer.. But I think this game has a pretty unique gameplay... It's not merely lane base real time strategy game... There are more to it... Unlike most lane base strategy game where u likely to win by spamming... U will find this ain't like this here... A little bit of strategy and luck may affect the outcome ...

3. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Are you ya liking about "seeing" some screenshots here or have you tried it. There might be a huge difference?

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    True but at $5 i'm not going to take the plunge. Watched the video from Sanuku, just not keen on this type of game. To me this isnt 'true' Warhammer. Its like a new Star Wars game coming out so i'll be excited but then i discover its just Yoda doing a flappy bird impression over trees or something.

5. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Seriously, if this is not cloaked with warhammer brand, no one will care to play this. Ppl buy this for warhammer not for anything else.

6. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    Game is awesome great job devs

7. Wiarumas

Wiarumas Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2014
    This game is okay. It plays more like a lite RTS than plants vs zombies. More similar to calculords with having to capture 3 rows but with resource management instead of math.

Can't say I'd recommend it for $5 plus IAP for those uninterested in the mechanics, but it might hit an itch for people who want to play a warhammer spin of pvz or calculords wih more rts elements. I might return to this game after FTL.

The screens don't give it justice, there is slightly more complexity than it appears as you play through a pretty lengthy tutorial showing the different ways you can configure towers and troops, talent trees to upgrade units (plasma pistols, grenades, etc). But, I was also disappointed because despite the complexity you can use, the most effective strategy is also the most simple one - one that you will use over and over again (ie, same tower configuration, then spam units). While I could equip grenades or send in special biker units using command points, I never felt the need to as I could complete the missions by just sending in units as they spawn. In fact, when I tried to switch up my strategy, I was at a disadvantage and quickly reverted changes to spam basic units to win the map. It seems there might be balancing issues or just fundamentally broken gameplay mechanics because complex strategies will actually make you more susceptible. Basically you need to be winning to find the time and resources to do the more special things... But if you are already winning it's never actually necessary.

Also the units use lanes to move, but are not restricted to that lane with their attack. Regular units attack adjacent rows as they move horizontally to capture the lane. Heavy infantry fire 2 rows which is pretty much the entire map. Melee are bad at range but good if attacking same row.

8. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I'm starting to feel a little guilty in multiplayer, a few tips for new players:

1. With Dark Angels, do not build 3 Comms, 2 is enough. Don't switch all your buildings to resolve generation unless you have most of the resolve units and abilities unlocked or you will fall behind production fast, you only need one building generating resolve if all you are trying to get out is a Ravenwing. Don't throw Tactical marines into the same lane as Orks. Orks without upgrades can't shoot into adjacent lanes, Tacs can, take advantage of that. GET FOR THE LION! ASAP!

2. With Orks, don't go all Gretchin, just please, no... I would recommend avoiding Weirdboy Towers altogether until you have enough skill points to unlock everything for them. Weirdboy Towers are unique in that they pretty much need all the abilities and upgrades unlocked to be usable.

9. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I will say from experience, once you play the later levels on hardcore, or decent opponents in multiplayer, you will find you have to mix your strategies up a lot more. Most of the upgrades and special units counter certain builds that use heavy armour, speed building, etc. Early on in the campaign, however, especially on regular difficulty, the basic units do work best.

10. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Maybe they should have just made a Warhammer 40k themed flappy clone instead.

11. Eraser74

Eraser74 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Hamburg
  12. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    How many people who are shitting on this game have actually played it? Raise your hand.

13. Skypoint

Skypoint Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    I got this this morning but only had time to play the first 2 levels of the tutorial. I was pleased to be able to see a Space Marine kill an Ork by kicking it to the ground and then standing over it blasting it with his bolter....

14. kenken11

Sep 29, 2012
    #74 kenken11, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    Your point here is weak. There are countless of crap apps in the AppStore, do u need to play all of those to know they are craps?

People can still make judgements based on screenshots, gameplay videos, game reviews etc.

Do you actually need to eat an apple crawling with worms to understand that the apple is spoilt? Probably you need :)

15. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Why play a game when you can watch a flawed TB video done early on in the beta and make a snap judgement?

Seriously though, the general responses I've seen around the net have been in a fairly neat set of categories:

This game is horrible - haven't played it.

This game is pretty fun - played it.

I honestly have not seen many people who have played the game trash it, but hey, those pesky facts get in the way of jumping on a bandwagon right?

16. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
  17. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    But in fairness, making judgements based on second-hand information is a personal choice, not really a solid argument against a product. This is especially true when you try to use second-hand information to contest first-hand information.

18. kenken11

Sep 29, 2012
    Fortunately, the App Store is full of games of this greatness with cheaper price tag. Not to mention, tons of free ones.

19. kenken11

Sep 29, 2012
    I don't see watching an actual gameplay video is second hand information. What I see is what I get. Let me see, probably the constrast and brightness does not tally, oh I see, now I know the differences.

20. Werechihuahua

Werechihuahua Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Eternal labors
    Pensacola, FL
    Game Impressions

The PC version is very good. I have been playing it for a week. The iOS version is better. I got it at midnight and am up to Day 15 on the Marine campaign. The interface is better on touch devices.

I am STILL amazed by people who act as though $5 is a vast sum. It costs HALF as much as the PC version. If you buy all the DLC (which is certainly not needed) it is a whopping $12 total. If you want Flappy Clone you can pay .99 or put up with ads. I would prefer to pay this modest sum for a great game like this.

There are lots of crappy games on the Appstore. True. This is not one of them. And if you can't be asked to actually play it your opinion on it's quality is worth as much as a F2P iFart game.

It wouldn't exist if it weren't for the 40K license? Samurai Bloodshow, Alexandria Bloodshow and Ninja cats vs. Samurai Dogs don't have the license, but they share the lane RTS gameplay and they are all excellent. This apple has no worms. If you think you MIGHT not like based on screenies and vid good on you. But that doesn't make you an expert so pipe down on the hate.