Universal Warhammer 40K : Storm of Vengeance - (by Eutechnyx Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 2, 2014.

1. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Thanks for reminding me about blood bowl. Made me see blood bowl 2 is in development. Any idea if it'll get an iOS version?

2. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Why wait for a sequel? They should port over the first one... now.

3. Werechihuahua

Werechihuahua Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Eternal labors
    Pensacola, FL
    Blood Bowl

The dev's of Blood Bowl, Cyanide and their publisher Focus haven't shown any interest in the iOS market. Which is funny since they ported Blood Bowl to PSP (badly) and Nintendo DS (worse!) in Europe. I got imports of both but the PSP version had a wicked save game erasing bug and the "We'll replace your disc for free" was not honored since they didn't release it in the US. The XBOX360 version was gimped too and never got any of the expansion love the PC did. I am interested in the sequel but they need to earn back some trust first.

4. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    The warhammer universe has spawned some decent games but instead we get this crap. Stop treating the ipod like some second rate toy and start giving us proper games. To many companies think this is some low rent machine and not one that plays real games of high quality. Give us a proper game instead of this crap I'm not standing for it so there!

5. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    #105 Topherunhinged, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    I heard about all of that; real shame... Bloodbowl is great on PC but I'd rather play on my tablet.

Ipod? Really? ...and it's spawned a lot more garbage than good. I do miss Shadow of the Horned Rat though.

6. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

No, not necessarily. There's been a few good games on the PC, and Space Marine wasn't that bad either. There's so much more they could've done with it, but instead we get this mediocre game. It's a waste in my opinion.

That being said, if there are people enjoying the game, then good for you. I'm just not one of them :p

7. raijen

raijen Active Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Canada, Eh?
    I'd love to be able to give this a fair shake but it crashes every time I try to play. I get the tutorial text drop my comm tower (sometimes) and then crash to desktop. Six attempts over two full powercycles and I've given up untill we see a patch

On an iPhone 4 btw

8. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Maybe post over at their official forum: http://forums.eutechnyx.com/forums/252-Storm-Of-Vengeance

The devs are pretty good about jumping on issues like yours quickly.

9. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    I guess but I never saw Space Marine, a game I really enjoyed just for co-op, as an excellent use of the license. The older strategy games were, to some extent, a better use but they've got a whole universe from which to draw inspiration and yet time and time again we get Space Marine centered games; don't we get enough of that nonsense grom GW, does it have to carry into to every adaption? To me that is what's uninspired and a poor use of the license.

*nobody even mention Fire Warrior.

10. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    I think Ninja Cats and Samurai Dogs is aesthetically more pleasing than this reskin...

11. mstacheef

mstacheef Well-Known Member

May 2, 2013
    After playing through the first 5 or 6 levels of the Marine campaign, I've got to say I'm really enjoying it. I'm not a Big WH fan, but the license definitely adds a lot to the game. It looks great and plays really well. The skill trees are a great add. I'm not actually a big lane defense fan, but this one is really good. And it doesn't need an internet connection to play, at least after the initial data download.

12. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Right, I have played/am playing this and I am enjoying it. It is a lot deeper than the singular gameplay video makes it seem.

Graphics are not anything to write home about but the sprites look pretty cool and are well animated, unusually I think this actually looks cooler on my phone screen then on my pad! Also runs fine on both my pad4 and phone5.

Progression is actually quite good, permanent stat increases, new mobs, active skills. Also each faction seems to play quite differently.

So for what it's worth (by someone who has actually bought and played the game) I think this game is pretty good.

Is it the game I'd like to see? Not really, think there are a lot of Games Workshop licenses would make great games, but it is no way offensive.

Having said that, I must admit I am disappointed in some members of the toucharcade community around this game. I thought you knew better than to spout off about how bad a game is before actually playing it. And before you say "oh well, I is in the rite coz I saw a reviews so can mouth off my opinion", no you can't, if you haven't played it, your opinion on the matter of the actual game is worthless, in fact worse than that it can be misleading.

As far as I can see, the majority of members in this thread who have actually played it, are enjoying it. It is in no way game of the year material. but it is sure as s**t worth a couple of quid, especially if you like WH40K.

13. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I'd like a comparison of Ninja Cats vs Samurai Dogs with this title. Anyone play both?

14. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    They should just port Chaos Gate or Squad Command, and make us all happy.

15. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Grenadedodger pretty much nails it above. Very, very good post.

16. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I love it! As soon as I began to play it I was wrapped in it. Glad I bought it and all I can say is that if its not your type of game after watching the review all that means is you prefer other games but I like it heaps and glad I bought it.

17. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    My nephew wanted this so I got it. Not bad, not terribly disappointed by any measure. Graphics cld have been sharper, but it plays ok and is some fun.

18. Sythys

Sythys Active Member

Nov 4, 2013
    I've been following this thread since page one on day one. I've read the remarks, I own the game, and feel I can speak pretty freely about this.

This is a pretty good game.

It's not award winning by any stretch of the imagination. It is a different twist on the 40k theme, just not something most people would expect of the "Space Marines". I enjoy the simplicity of the lane strategy, just a little burnt out on PvZ.

Owning Space Hulk, Warhammer Quest, Space Marine and Blood Bowl on 360, and DoW and Blood Bowl on PC... I can say that GW really tries to squeeze every gram of monetary value from a franchise. (And why not, they own the games and liscenses... Don't they?) I also know that their games are a little more expensive than the normal app on the App Store, plus the DLC and IAP... They must be making some kind of money. (Though I've also given more than my fair share, the miniatures for the board games aren't exactly cheap either.)

I guess what I'm trying to spew out is that there will always be purists who love the games for what they are... A noobs strategical nightmare. And they are others that have heard of WH 40k and really have no idea where the game came from. But those that are interested in this might go a step further and play Space Hulk or the board game or even go as far as build whole mini armies and build 3D play boards! And that's what (I figure) Games Workshop is really trying to do, generate more popularity to become a mainstream force and not some niche board game company.

19. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    The bulk of GW's revenue still stems from the miniatures, which is why we haven't seen a video game version of the table top; they're afraid it would cannibalize sales. What they want is to diversify into other markets and offer a full-range IP, even they must know that table-top, of their variety, is slowing dangerously.

20. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    #120 Kirenx, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    That’s a tall order as there are a lot of differences. Since it seems to be asked a lot though, and I haven’t seen a lot of people that have actually played both, I can try to list a few especially notable differences:

1. NCvSD has a single skill tree regardless of what faction you pick. The factions are mechanically the same, and playstyle depends solely on what skills are chosen from the 3 branches of the skill tree. A match in NCvSD is basically driven by what you have put points into beforehand. SoV’s factions are different from each other, with different skills, abilities, upgrades, and units. In SoV, generally you can unlock everything on the skill trees, and playstyle is determined by the chosen faction, what buildings you build, and then choices made during a match, such as upgrades, and abilities used.

2. NCvSD has three units. These all generate slowly and work on a rock-paper-scissors style counter system. Archers kill Soldiers who kill Calvary who kill Archers. Matches using units largely are decided by a better selecting of units as well as other abilities. Buildings are extremely weak, and spawns are extremely slow, so once a unit gets to one side, there rarely is much that can be done about it. SoV has much stronger buildings, some even capable of attacking units. In SoV, different units spawn at different rates, so there are slow but powerful units, but also fast spawning weaker units. Thus generally SoV has a lot more unit to unit combat going on at one time than NCvSD. Units in SoV are also not as cut-and-dry as NCvSD, while some types are better than others, generally units in SoV can be used in different ways that can at times make up for their weaknesses. An example of this is Tactical Marines. A Tactical Marine place in the same lane as an enemy Assault Marine will likely lose once they reach melee combat. However, a Tactical Marine placed in an adjacent lane suddenly is untouchable. Upgrades, such as grenades, or the Assault Marine jump ability, in turn allow the Assault Marine to overcome this handicap. Much of the unit aspect of the game comes down to placement, using the right unit at the right time, and knowing which upgrades will give an edge versus a certain strategy.

3. In NCvSD, everything is spawned as cards. Each of the 3 skill tree branches has 1 building that generates a resource, and 1 building that generates cards for that branch. One branch has upgrades for the units, these upgrades tend to be 1 time use abilities that pretty much auto-kill another unit, or do something else will an equal power-level of effect. One branch has the 3 units. And one branch has spells that can be cast anywhere on the battle field. So with 5 lanes to build buildings, you need to take at least 1 resource generator for each skill branch you wish to use, and 1 card generator. In SoV, both factions have 2 resources, but how they generate changes depending on what faction you play as. Dark Angels have the basic resource generating building and 3 buildings that generate different units. The units generate as cards, while the upgrades, when selected, automatically are added to the unit card, increasing both the time to generate and the cost to play that card. The second resource is generated by switching buildings into a secondary mode that, while on, prevents the building from generating units. This resource is used to play abilities and units from a menu always available regardless of what buildings are on the field. These abilities do not generate cards, instead activating immediately when the cost is paid, and are each on individual timers, some being one-time use per battle. The Orks also have a basic resource generating building, but have a single building that generates multiple types of units. A separate building generates upgrade cards that can be combined with Ork cards to create different types of Orks and Ork units, such as the Trukk, Stormboyz, and Nobz. The Orks have yet another separate building, the Weirdboy Tower that generates energy for psychic attacks and abilities, which like the Marine abilities are on individual timers and are cast immediately when the cost is paid. The Ork abilities scale depending on the number of WB tower fielded, doing more damage, hitting more targets, etc. Orks also generate a Waaagh! bar that increases their chances to crit. I’m not 100% how this bar works and haven’t really played around with it.

If there are more specific questions I can try to answer them. Overall, the two games play VERY differently. SoV is a much faster paced game, with a lot more action happening at once and a more decisions made during the match to gradually push forward into your opponent’s territory. NCvSD is a lot slower, with each unit and ability being vital and the wrong build or a mistaken play pretty much sealing a match’s outcome. In terms of pure variety, SoV has a lot more units and interesting abilities/builds.