Universal Warhammer 40K : Storm of Vengeance - (by Eutechnyx Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Werechihuahua

Werechihuahua Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Eternal labors
    Pensacola, FL
    Toxic hate

I was put off by the hatred toward this game from people who had not played it here... until I read the STEAM forums. OMFG! You'd think the devil himself was behind this plot to overthrow the kingdom of heaven. If TotalBiscuit said mean things about and you like it you must be stupid. That sort of rubbish.

I posted a review on STEAM of both versions expressing my experience playing about 10 hours on both combined. After a dozen hostile comments and 3 of 94 users flagging my review as helpful I pulled it.

I suppose it is in the nature of the internet now to show how cool you are by slagging things the crowd tells you to not like. I'm having fun. That's what I get games for.

Now... it does have some annoying bugs. Using 'redeploy' on a Terminator doesn't work but creates a card for an Assault Marine that cannot be played. You can just slide it all over the screen but it doesn't do anything. And I have seen Marines killed by 'frazzle' remain on screen with zero life and march off the Ork side of the board without doing any damage or fighting. Just passes through the Boys hut.

2. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    The Steam forums in general are a bit of a cesspool. Space Hulk had a similar range of hate when it released on Steam, and considering how long SH has been out, there still are individuals who post snarky little comments on the forums here and there.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Not true. Again I love Warhammer and just expected a proper Warhammer game not a generic ios title dressed up with some Warhammer graphics. It's like a Star Wars card game on ios or that borderlands game which appeared ages ago on ios which was dire. There a huge name behind these games yet sometimes on ios we just get some poor lazy title

Looking toward to future Warhammer titles just not a fan of this and that's my own view not me following the crowd

4. Werechihuahua

May 26, 2010
    Eternal labors
    Pensacola, FL
    Games Workshop

Seems like a lot of people HATE the license so much they don't care it the game is any fun. And a lot of other people love the 40K universe so much they want AAA games only so they don't care about small games like this one.

Thanks Kirenx for the quality commentary on the difference between this and Ninja Cats v Samurai Dogs. Calling this a 'reskin' is silly. One's a 2D game.

5. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    What's a proper Warhammer game? ...and why would a paticular license increase your expectations for the game? It's a lane game, it was always marketed as such, why do people suddenly seem surprised by this?

If you don't like lane games, I get that, but why even show interest? A license won't make you magically like a genre you previously hated. Even more, it's a license title, which are notoriously hit-and-miss, ie. mostly always garbage, irrespective of platform and this certainly seems leagues better than most licensed games.

6. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks man! Trying to pick one of these games to play and I guess it sounds like this game might be the better of the two. Hopefully your hands don't hurt too much from writing all that :eek:

7. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Haha, no problem. I'm currently procrastinating writing an essay, so any distractions are welcome. :p

8. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    For what it's worth, I've been enjoying this very much. Tons of options and various mechanics help diversify strategy. I'll write more in depth impressions when I have the time, but so far around 90 minutes in, it's been surprisingly refreshing.

9. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Whether this is your own jaded view or not - the question is - have you played the game?

10. dedyp79

dedyp79 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    I see there are 3 DLC for $2.99 each...can anyone explain what we got after we bought those DLC?

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #131 psj3809, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    For the 5000th time no, its $5, i'm not spending that on a game i dont like the look of. I've watched multiple videos of it, read some reviews of it, its not like i saw one screenshot of it and thought 'dont like this'.

The main thing is the gameplay which i dont like, whatever graphics they use for a game like this i'm just not a fan. Not saying the game is dire, just i'm not a fan of the gameplay and because of the Warhammer name i jumped in thinking it was going to be something else. Bit like when i heard there was a new Star Wars game and it was a dire Pit Droid game or the other one which was a boring shooter.

If you like this type of gameplay thats great. Just i'm not a fan

12. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I wonder why the developers chose to use Green Space Marines. They don't look as dashing as the red or blue ones...

13. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    I don't have this game but I don't get all the hate towards it. After watching Sanuku's video I thought that it actually looks like a pretty decent lane based TD game. Decent graphics, good sound effects, cool voice acting. I could see that if you're not into lane based TD or TD in general then this game isn't for you. But if you do like those things then it looks quite good. If I had an extra $5 on my iTunes account I'd get this game for sure.

14. Birth1118

Birth1118 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Auditor
    MA, US
    I just saw that you mentioned graphic. It seems ridiculous to me that a game merely over 60MB charges so much, warhammer or not. I gladly purchased WQ and Space Hulk including all IAPs cuz they offer excellent game experience, or at least graphics. What could I expect from a 60MB game? It's not the 1980s when solitude was introduced.

15. dedyp79

dedyp79 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Actually this game 349mb , app size 150mb and data 199mb...the game will force you to download another content after installed the first time.

16. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    #136 slamraman, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    Solitude was introduced well before the 1980s, but I may be on my own thinking that.
    I think the main problem I have with this and a few recent threads is people are happy to pass off impressions of impressions as impressions.

17. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    I can't agree more with you, it's amazing how many persons are using internet in a very wrong way, insulting and discriminating others with hateful comments, that's probably their only way to express their frustration. About this game, well I was hoping for something better like WH or a proper TBS like Uniwar

18. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    Game is super awesome y da hate doe #######

19. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Bah, my undefeated streak is over. Methinks Terminators maybe a little too good for 70 resolve, and hard to counter as Orks.

20. Werechihuahua

May 26, 2010
    Eternal labors
    Pensacola, FL
    Tbs 40k

Someone mentioned that a turn based wargame like Uniwar would be a good use of the 40K license. Slitherine/Matrix is making one right now and have stated that after the PC version iOS is on the plate. They haven't shown any screens yet just some unit graphics but it's being done by the lads who made Panzer Korps which is pretty darn good. So I'm ready for it yesterday.