Universal Warhammer Quest 2 (By Perchang)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Roger the Alien

Roger the Alien Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    Hi, I think this will be one of my last posts because I have the feeling that I almost said everything.

I have the following question: Is the second campaign different?
    Of course the story is different and there are new models for enemies but I would like to know are there for example any enemy spell casters or do the enemies have different strategies?

Well, I am not sure how long it‘s ago since I played Warhammer Quest 1 but I remember that I played a save file for over 50 hours.
    It‘s a long time since I touched it but I still vaguely remember that the campaign was much more interactive and meaningful decisions were made.

SPOILER WARNING, read it if you played Warhammer Quest 1
    Brainstorming for 2 minutes:
    - You made some loot do you want to give it back to the merchant?
    - Do you want to give the loot (flute) to your client which turn to be a bandit chief
    - Multiple Choice decisions
    - More interesting quest rewards, at the end of the game you could level up a hero for free for example
    - Depending on the success of a specific mission you could get different quest rewards, I finished it several times and got once a cool equipment for the grey wizard
    - You could encounter a skaven assassin and if you could answer his questions he joined you
    - During a mission there was toxic fume and you had to finish the mission very fast

I hope that I could remember evrything correctly and I didn‘t mix some stuff up^^
    END OF SPOILERS

I pretty much missed this variety of elements, does the second campaign at least offers some of them?

2. Kwadius

Kwadius Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Wsup with the iCloud sync?

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Major content update planned for February

I subscribed to Perchang's newsletter and just got a nice merry christmas email from them.
    Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes ... no, not this time, no worries ;) Santa Perchangaus comes bearing great gifts, quoting from their email:

Coming next
    We've been busy beavering away on brand new content for you.
    Three new Warrior Classes, each with a unique play-style. Plus, a brand new region and story campaign to hack through!
    AND we'll also be adding in some super cool new features and tweaks to amp up the core game experience!
    Arriving on the App Store in February.

New classes, oh boy. Need to make time somewhere down the road to complete the write-up of my current class evaluation.

Also something I'd like to draw your attention to:
    We also read everything you send. From simple bug fixes to huge game ideas, the feedback is amazing.

Big thank you to everyone at Perchang! Really appreciate what you folks are doing.

4. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I’m pretty convinced this game will be bigger and bigger over time.

Also, apparently, Khorne and Chaos Warriors are coming.

I’m ready.

5. gkgiersch

gkgiersch New Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Achievements?

Hi all. Tried this message earlier and thought I would ask again. I cannot find a way to check out achievements. When I press that button, nothing happens. Do they exist? Still enjoying this game. Trying two parties of 4 identical characters. Pretty tough! I would love to see a Halfling adventurer. Fingers crossed for that one!

6. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Happy new year everyone!

@gkgiersch: Saw your post just now. Which heroes are using for your all-identical parties?

Re achievements: You need to be online when you start up WHQ2 to see the list. Just checked, it's there; and pretty long with 46 entries. I guess that's a general Gamecenter thing, as I've seen the behaviour in other games as well.

In my own games, I just finished a pretty standard group: Melee Captain, plus 3 rangeds as soon as I could get them together (Bloodknight to close the gap till then): Archer, Elf Mage, Darkelf Sorceress first. Replaced the Archer with a second Sorceress pretty quickly, before end of first campaign. The Mage had to go warm the bench about halfway through Reikland/Skaven. His damage output just didn't cut it anymore, and I replaced him with the third Sorceress. Way too easy with 2 Freeze spells, and a lot of ranged firepower to get the most out of them.

My new game is with Greatswords and Slayers only, the two heroes I considered the worst. But I am more than pleasantly surprised. They hold up very well so far. Slayers can get resistance-ignore (one recruit even comes with it), which is great as it allows you to use whichever Axe you prefer and removes the damage-type restrictions on an already very small weapons collection.
    Greatsword with a Speed build (you want to hire Dietger Franke for that, he comes at level 6 and to me is quite obviously meant to be speed-focused) worked really well until I ran into more of the Slashing-immune Skaven. Replaced him with a third armor-piercing Slayer (2 Strength-builds, 1 Speed-build). My remaining Greatsword is a Strength-build with both Crushing and Slashing damage.
    If I can find either more Crushing weapons or armor-piercing for the Greatswords, I'd prefer to swap the Slayers for them: default GS fresh out of the Inn have higher HP than the Slayers (which is weird in itself, aren't Dwarves supposed to be more resilient than Humans?) , increasing their survivability quite a bit.

7. White Boy

White Boy New Member

Jan 4, 2018
    #667 White Boy, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Hi All,

First of all, I would like to thank Perchang for WQ2 - so nice to observe many of the good old items from Warhammer rulebooks and what a great times we all had over the last 2 decades until GW decided to switch to AoS.

Secondly, it is great to see some guys from the Perchang team reading this thread and appreciating feedback from players in order to fix possible issues asap - a main reason why I have decided to register here and share some ideas.

My WQ2 warband consists of 7 warriors (2 DE, 1 EC, 1 WE, 1 BK, 1 GS and 1 DS - so every class, except for a High Elf mage) with their levels varying from 22 to 24, so I could test pretty much all equipment currently available to every warrior.

Some of this equipment has a nice background story, but is not so useful taking into consideration other items e.g. why would you take Dauntless or The Count’s Gift for your GS (and occupy 2 inventory slots) if he has Helborg’s Greatsword and you can benefit from both Strength and Speed? But still great to see more and more various equipment being introduced to the game - well done, Perchang.

There are certain items, which are clearly OP, and this could be handled by making them quite rare or very expensive (or by fixing their stats), but we can have a look at them later on.

My main concern at the moment is related to a “level up” process - I think it could be reasonable to decrease randomness here and let a player choose whether he would like to get +1 AP / IS or +1 stat or +5 HP. Otherwise, this leads either to a situation when my DE sorceress has 62 HP :p (and certainly this is not what you would like her to be) or to exploiting a critical bug when (if you are not happy with the results of the level-up) a player immediately closes the App and launches the game again keeping doing so until a desired result of the level-up is gained.

Other addings to the game could include introducing ethereal creatures (2+ ward save against non-magical attacks), regeneration and ward save (for trolls and deamons, for instance) and many others, which we can also discuss in details later.

Hope this helps and Happy New Year everyone ;)

There was a question earlier regarding the maximum damage caused by a single hit and I think that my record is 476 (or so), which DE can do with her Dark Energy Staff.

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Whiteboy: Happy New Year to you as well, and welcome to TA!

7 Warriors at levels 20+? You've been playing quite a bit ;)

Fully agree about the OP items, and quite a few folks (including me) already sent suggestions to Perchang, so they are aware of it. But please keep posting any ideas, always good to get another perspective.
    Same goes for the leveling-up process, I requested to make that non-random during Betatest quite a while back. I really hope they'll change that.

I like your ideas for adding more monsters and more variety ;) By the way: Can you explain to me what 2+ means exactly (I *think* "roll 2 or higher on a d6"), and ideally also what the notation "6++" means in Warhammer? I don't play the tabletop, this confuses me as I can't deduce it from the notation alone, and I never found an explanation online.

About the Greatsword items you mention, as I'm currently playing a GS & Slayer game:
    In general, the following applies:
    You have to work with what you get, and sometimes the odds are not in your favour. E.g. in one game I got more Weaponsmaster skills than I'd ever need. While in my current GS&SL game, I only got one, and I'm more than halfway through (Middenland done, Reikland mission 4 or so).
    Depending on what the game gives you, you can end up with very different approaches.

About the Count's Gift specifically:
    It's pretty good armour, and the +1 Dex & Str are great for a Strength-build Greatsword. However, I only added it when I had enough slots to take all my attacking equipment along, definitely not something you'll use in early game. This pretty much applies to all armors, with a few exceptions like the "use INT not STR in combat" ones for Mages or the Captain's and Bloodknight's Shields.
    While for a Speed-build with the Helborg (which uses Spd and not Str) , the +1 STR is useless (but the +1 Dex still gives you better to-hit chance, so there's that), and you are better off giving him another Speed Sigil or Speed Ring:
    Anything that "uses stat X instead of stat Y" in combat, does not benefit from X for damage calculation.
    So e.g. with the Helborg you want your Str stat to be as low as possible so you don't waste any stat points. Dietger Franke, the GS who comes with the Helborg is perfect: He starts with Str 3 (minimum for GS, not seen any lower yet), putting him perfectly to Str 0 with a Speed Sigil.
    While e.g. Ludwig Weis starts with Str 4: if you turn him into a dedicated Helborg user, you waste one stat point (and thus a level-up). Sure, not that important anymore once you reach the lofty heights your heroes are at. But early on, it does make a difference, especially if you optimise in a numbercrunchy way.

Also, I am curious how you have your folks set up, specifically your Greatsword.

Sidenote: My current fun approach is to give everyone as many Speed Rings as I can get, for more Deathblow goodness ;) Even my non-Speedbuilds carry at least one, two as soon as I have room. 3 is overkill, as it brings you past the stat maximum of 10.

Isn't Dauntless the one that gives you extra damage vs. large monsters? If yes, I still need to try if it stacks with Monsterhunter (and if Monsterhunter itself stacks if you use more than one) . If it stacks, it would make for a great big-monster killer. But, if you only have room for one, Monsterhunter is the better choice in my opinion.

Btw: I actually like the idea of a high-HP super-tanky Sorceress. Not that she needs to be, but that's a different story ;)

9. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    2+ means a roll of 2 or higher on a d6.

6++ means rolling a 6 followed by a 5 or higher. Not very common ... only used when to hit penalties make rolling to hit with a missile attack very unlikely.

I could be mistaken on the last one as its been several years since I played a game of warhammer fantasy.

10. White Boy

White Boy New Member

Jan 4, 2018
    #670 White Boy, Jan 4, 2018
    Hi there and glad to hear we share same ideas on various points, incl. your sidenote regarding a special focus on speed ;)

As to your questions above:

1. 2+ means a roll of 2 or higher on d6, so 2+ save against non-magical attacks would imply an app. 84% chance to deflect a non-magical hit.

2. “+” usually stands for “armour save” and “++” for “ward save” or “regeneration” (i.e. smth you would roll for after the first save [armour save] is failed). For instance, a Deamon Prince with 2+, 5++ would mean a 84% chance for a successful armour save (if no AS modifiers because of strength or armour piercing) and a 33% for a successful ward save - assuming that a DP has a lot of HPs, these stats would make it quite difficult to slay the deamon ;)

3. My GS (level 20) has a following build:
    - 8 AP, 8 IS, 30 HP, STR 4, DEX 9, SP 10, INT 1
    - Armour of Molten Copper
    - Weapon Master (-1 AP for any weapon used)
    - Count’s Champion (+1 AP on every enemy killed)
    - Stubborn (a 50% chance to gain +1 AP on every attack) - a crazy thing with Speed 10 and 2 attacks (for just 1 AP) with the Helborg Greatsword, just put this “whirlwind of death” in the middle of enemy lines and he may recover all his APs in full by the time he will stop swinging his sword with all bonus deathblows :p
    - Talisman of Morr (for the final couple of rooms) or Amulet of Swiftness
    - Amulet of Swiftness (another OP thing)
    - Hammer or Blunted Greatsword
    - Helborg’s Greatsword

Hope this helps ;)

And, yes, Monster Hunter is a great thing (though not OP at all) and quite balanced.

Cheers,

11. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks for explaining the +/++ thing, both of you!

Your Greatsword is a great setup. Funny thing, in what must be 100+ hours of playing, I've never seen the Armor of Molten Copper nor the Amulet of Swiftness nor Stubborn (that one sounds *slightly* unbalanced when paired with a low-AP and/or multi-hit weapon).
    Do you know if for Stubborn "attack" means "every single hit" or if it refers to the whole attack action (as in the one you just spent 2 AP to execute) ?

Talisman of Morr is the one that gives "all attacks hit that round", right? I've seen it before, but didn't note down the stats. Plus, I never have room for those limited-use gimmicks. I prefer to have stuff that is either always on (e.g. passive skills like Monsterhunter, or items like the Speedring) or has more uses (e.g. stuff with unlimited use but cooldown) .

I can confirm that the Helborg rocks. Until you run into stuff with high (or even total, looking at you, Skaven :p) Slashing resistance, that is.

And just to be sure: by "Hammer" you mean the two-handed Warhammer, correct? It's the only one I know the GS can use. And I never gave it a try cause without things like Stubborn or really high Speed a single hit for 4AP has too high a chance of missing or getting deflected for my taste, and then leaving you standing there empty.

And I agree that Monsterhunter isn't overpowered/unbalanced, as it's situational (doesn't help a thing against all the chaff, but occupies a slot).

12. White Boy

White Boy New Member

Jan 4, 2018
    #672 White Boy, Jan 4, 2018
    [​IMG]

Good question about Stubborn, but I am not sure if a 50% chance is applied to every single attack a weapon may generate - with the Helborg (2 attacks and costs you just 1 AP with Weapon Master) it is quite likely to get this 1 AP back after making 2 attacks :p

I also share your thoughts regarding Talisman of Morr: one-time use items may seem very questionable. However, with 1 or 2 Talismans of Swiftness + a Sacrificial Dagger on DE sorceress you are able to slay a few final rooms with your GS alone (and in 1 turn) having a 100% hit ratio.

As to the “Hammer”, you are correct - I meant the 2-handed Warhammer ;) And yes, 4 AP for a single hit is way too much, but let’s have a closer look :p

- With Weapon Master it costs you 3 AP
    - For Count’s Champion you get +1 AP back, so 2 AP (in case you hit - huge damage and high chance of critical hit, so more than enough for most of the enemies)
    - Then for Stubborn you have a 50% chance to get one more AP :p :p - not that bad?

You can imagine same maths for the Helborg Greatsword or Blunted Greatsword, which cost you 2 AP each ;) :p

13. Birth1118

Birth1118 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Auditor
    MA, US
    I agree with everything you said! Also, multiple weapon master skills can be equipped to reduce ANYTHING to 1 AP. Breaks the game really :p

14. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #674 Nullzone, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    @Birth: re Weaponmaster:
    At first I wanted to agree with you, but then I thought more about and I no longer do. Reasons:
    1) You cannot reliable expect to even get a single Weaponmaster (WM) during a playthrough (see my earlier comment that I only got one in my current game).
    2) For high-AP weapons, you need more than one WM to get them down to 1 AP.
    3) #2 automatically means two things:
    a) you occupy slots that could be used for something else (say, Monsterhunter or Armorpierce).
    b) you are not giving those WMs to another hero.
    In my opinion, compared to other setups, it's just a different kind of broken ;) But not something so extreme that it needs to be changed (which I strongly recommend for e.g. Chillwind, that one is too powerful I think).
    E.g. stacking someone with a 3AP weapon and 2 Speedrings to get them to 10 Spd causes so many Deathblows to trigger, you achieve at least a similar effect: not as reliable as cost being down to 1AP, granted; but with a very chance to deal damage that is very disproportionate to the investment (I've seen chains of 15+ Deathblows (typically ending cause I run out of monsters to hit) and ~10 is something I see quite frequently on my Speed-build guys.

@Whiteboy: Great setup, but it's clearly an advanced one that is not always feasible (i.e. I've not seen Stubborn at all, as mentioned earlier) . Definitely not something you can expect to achieve over the course of finishing the two current campaigns. So, I stand by my opinion that the 2H Warhammer in its current form is at the low end of the power curve. And even with your mods, I still find it inferior to e.g. the hilariously overpowered Knuckleduster (KD): KD doesn't need Weaponmaster, which immediately frees up one slot that you can use for something else to increase KD's damge output even more. That one thing alone makes a huge difference already. And I could optimise for the KD even further, I am sure (not that it's needed, that thing's damage is already too much with a bog-standard build).

@Perchang: Friendly reminder that you should really tone down the Knuckleduster to the levels of, say, the Hand Axe ;)

15. Alexjspencer

Alexjspencer New Member

Jan 7, 2018
    AP set up

I have a different version of the speedster set up that makes all the levels and missions too easy really.

The difficulty of monsters and their protection I find doesn't scale as well as WHQ1 so the below Trollslayer can toast almost every single room in a dungeon by themselves with no difficulty. And if you have a healer in your party then there's no danger whatsoever.

Level 18 (though he got this deadly round about level 10-12) and even my less fortunate version who ended up with 65 HP at level 19 is almost as destructive

AP:8
    IS: 8
    HP: 34
    ST: 7
    DX: 7
    SP: 3
    Int: 2

Weapon master (-1AP per weapon use)

Alaric the mad rune (no armpit resistance so his axe crushes everything)

Grudgebreaker (4-20 damage & 2AP to use before WM)

2 'Relentless' with +1AP for every enemy killed so if you one hit kill a monster you actually gain an AP because the bonus stacks

Rune of smiting for permanent double damage

Focus for +10% chance to hit and +1 strength with every hit on a monster.

Amulet of swiftness to reset your AP for the turn

So in total if he makes a couple of hits he quickly has100% chance to hit, strength 10, double damage and gains an AP every time he kills something. The highest HP enemies occasionally need three hits to kill them, he occasionally misses the first hit and sometimes the enemies are so spread out he can't reach them all in one turn. But for most rooms he walks in, kills everything and still has full AP while waiting at the door to lead into the next room still with full AP available.

It's fun crashing through dungeons with him for a bit but then it gets too easy. Especially if you also have a dark elf who can freeze one portion of a room if you accidentally mess up and that amulet that allows you to have three goes at any room.

In terms of recommendations:

1) Not enough ranged monsters

2) The Knuckle Duster is insanely overpowered (when I use it routinely hits for 40+ damage with BK)

3) Dungeon difficulty doesn't scale aggressively enough. After about level 7 your warrior party utterly dominates everything. To counter this you'd need enemies with much higher hit points (250+ say for bosses at level 10, then up 100pts for level 15 and again for level 20 warriors), ranged/magical enemies (Most WHQ1 missions I lost were due to enemy magic neutralizing your team) and......Ambushes. Not having ambushes totally changes the game. I never have to worry about leaving someone alone or plan for any unexpected attacks etc. This significantly reduces the amount of inventory slots you need for healing and allows your warriors to old up on offense and become OP.

4) I echo the point about training/leveling up - maybe be given a choice of category to train or a choice of two options

5) Please bring back ambushes in the dungeons. Suddenly having a rush of black orcs to deal with added danger, unpredictability and enjoyment.

16. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Alexj: Hi and welcome to TA!

Very nice setup. I can confirm that a Slayer with Alaric's Rune and Smiting Rune does a metric f-ton of damage. In fact, I removed Smiting again cause I didn't need *that* much damage, and replaced it with a Speedring for more Deathblows against chaff ;)

You are right, definitely not enough ranged opponents in the game. I room full of Beastmen Archers can be very dangerous, but those just don't happen often enough.
    And more magic-using opponents are a necessity too.

But I do not agree that more monster HP will solve much:
    - With a few exceptions (like Minotaurs and Archers), they simply do not hit often enough.
    - IF this should do something, I am quite concerned that it while make several party setups obsolete, and getting a Sorceress or two with Chillwind for freeze will be the best strategy.
    - You don't need a high-level party to be overpowered, good equipment and good synergies are way more important: I completed a playthrough with a level 2 party, and they totally curbstomped everything the game currently throws at me, including Trolls and Minotaurs. And for most of that playthrough I didn't even use the more ridiculous stuff like Chillwind ;)

What would help in my opinion:
    - Better tohit chances for monsters
    - Monsters do more damage than now
    - AI needs to get smarter: This is the most important point, I think. Skaven sometimes get smart enough to rush me with everything they have. But most monsters just keep coming in piecemeal, e.g. in small of groups of 2-3 or even alone, while the other 10-20 just hang back and do nothing. By now I think there's a fundamental design flaw, both in how monsters are distributed in the rooms (I can shoot everything to pieces that is more than one turn away before it reaches me), and how the AI is setup.

And I definitely do NOT want ambushes like they were in WHQ1 back: getting ambushed 10 times in a row was just super annoying, not challenging.

Also yes, cannot say this often enough: Knuckleduster is insane, needs to be seriously toned down.

17. Alexjspencer

Alexjspencer New Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Thanks

Above set up of a slayer makes a room full of archers a non-threat unless the first one is about 12 squares away. Once you can hit and kill one you build up a head of steam. That wouldn't work with more monster HP.

Similarly it would help a bit with the 'shoot everything one turn away' scenario that you mentioned. Harder to do that if there's a 350 HP behemoth in the room.

When they actually get close to me the bigger monsters can one hit most of my party members into the ground if they get a critical hit or if a couple of them get to take a swing or two. So for me it's more about making sure they are able to reach you in the first place. Hence ambushes appearing right next to you change the strategy and how I'd tool up the party.

Agree on the AI not knowing when to rush you or when to hide. It's always a head scratcher watching only two of a line of 8 close combat monsters come towards your party turn after turn so you can kill them 2 by 2.

Agree on 10x ambushes in a row being annoying. But having a few definitely spiced things up and forced me to be more defensive and less OP on offensive party members.

I forgot to mention random treasures. Years later I still happily remember the day I stumbled on the Hammer of Sigmar in some low level spider filled dungeon. Having that sort of equipment pop up randomly in rooms on a fairly low probability was intensely satisfying.

18. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I cant comment on a lot of what you guys are discussing as I have stopped playing until the big update in Feb is released.
    But I can agree on these two above. ^

I would like to see the random attacks return BUT not as much as they appeared in the first game. Perhaps a couple of times per mission would be good. It keeps you on your toes and makes you think twice about skipping your turns healing your guys.
    And definately random chests. I love loot hunting in games and to see that taken from this game was very disappointing to me.

19. Ryzaerian

Ryzaerian Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2017
    #679 Ryzaerian, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Just started playing and really enjoying the game so far. Quick question for you vets.

My idea for a party is 3 range and a tank. My ranged are Talima, Meharva and Avien.

For a tank, is either the Empire Captain or Blood Knight considered superior? I’m having trouble deciding between the two.

Also, based on what I’ve read in this thread, do I want to save level ups for injuries, or should I just level when I can?

Thanks in advance.

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Ryzerian: Let's see...

Captain or Bloodknight?
    Both are excellent tanks, right out of the gate the Captain a little bit more so (better Shield). The Captain is more versatile, he has the most (and some of the best) options of all heroes for skills and equipment. Bloodknight is more focused on melee (e.g. no Support skills I can remember), but has some things of his own, like Lifedrain or a flame-shooting Staff. Whichever you like better for whatever reason is fine ;)

Leveling up:
    The best course of action is to not level up your starting heroes at all :p that is, if you want to optimise as much as possible. You can hire heroes that have better stats, and come leveled-up (as high as level 6 so far) and with (sometimes excellent) equipment.
    But, if you want to play for fun, level up whenever you feel like it: Gold is the limiting factor, not XP. If you are worried about possible injuries, you can always keep one level-up in reserve, e.g. you have enough XP for lvl 5, so you level up only to 4.

Sidenote on injuries: The possible negative effects (mostly injuries) usually make me skip random encounters, just too risky.