Universal Warhammer Quest - (by Rodeo Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 29, 2013.

1. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

That`s just the Tutorial. You didn`t really see anything Major yet :D

2. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Does the game need iOS 6 to play?

3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    According to the description, yes.

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #44 Vovin, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013

Some stuff from a troll was deleted.
    Also check the price garbage thread.

5. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Urgh.....

So Warhammer and stuff

Soooo you need to flip the screen for the inventory? Does it feel cumbersome?.

6. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Do the IAP characters come with significantly unique/different abilities, meaning the gameplay/strategy needs to change? Or are they largely cosmetic?

Jamie.

7. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I can't remember for sure but, abusing for a now patched bug to my advantage :p, I think I completed the main campaign in about 13 hours and the expansion in 15.
    For testing pourposes I cruised the main quests...so I think that game+expansion in normal mode could take around 25-35 hours, more or less.
    Keep in mind that I'm now clocked at over 60 hours...so there is much to do even besides the main quests.
    Took me around 5 hours just to find a cool new dress for my Elf :D

8. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Well I'll be getting this as soon as physically possible, also going to stump for the expansion (bit of Skaven love if I'm right) and also the Trollslayer, who will be instantly renamed Gotrek.

9. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Wow! The forums today have the worst case of mod deletion I've ever seen, from what I saw it was just people talking about the iap and now there's pages and pages vanishing?

Well only 10 hours to go and I'll be playing this,

Don't suppose there any point in saying anything else as it'll probably just get deleted anyway :rolleyes:

10. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I'll be honest.
    This was my first concern when I tried the game, so much that I reported it.
    To be honest...after some hours the thing grew on me (I think, but I'm not sure, it is more natural on iphone), because I soon realized that you spend time in the inventory OR in the main screen...you do not switch back and forth often (on the contrary you rarely use it during dungeons...personally I spend more time in it when in settlments deciding what to buy and what to sell).
    60 hours later, but I could obviously be biased, I think it felt natural on iPad.

But, honestly, I was totally expecting this kind of comments/questions in the first hours.

11. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Same here. I won't say it "grew" on me, but it's tolerable. It doesn't bother me as much as I expected.

It is cumbersome, and you will question the design decision, but other than that, it really is not a big deal.

12. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Ok cool thanks

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    For those that played the beta, my only concern is that it looks a lot like Hunters 2 with a Warhammer skin. Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing as Hunters 2 was great. Just wondering how much different the gameplay is other than the setting.

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Yes, yes! This! Lovin' the slayers books, wanna read them again now. :)
    But won't you name your Marauder "Felix"?

15. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    You're damn right I will! :D

16. vogelmann

vogelmann Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Cologne, Germany
    No, it is not Hunters 2 with a Warhammer skin. It is a totally different game. They are both turn based strategy games and they share the same engine but that's it.

17. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Similar to my thoughts, only not a concern. I'm expecting a Warhammer based H2 mod for all intents and purposes.

What I like is that Rodeo have shown themselves great at the mechanics fundamentals of this sort of turn based game, less astute at content creation. H1 relied solely on a simple procedural system that got tiring very quickly, and H2 added a short structured campaign to the pre-existing procedural system, but was otherwise much the same game with exploits and balance issues fixed. Here, they've got decades of content to draw on for ideas and stuff to do. That can only be a good thing in my book.

18. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #58 Pitta, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
    Well if you played Hunters, you will be at home here.
    But, besides being imho an order of magnitude better for production values and scope, tactically it plays a bit different.
    First, you have an inventory management..tactically it means (because slots and resources are limited) you have to choose what to buy and equip...or when and if use it during a dungeon (ie: health potions are not that common...not to mention scrolls...a character down means you have JUST THAT TURN to revive him, or it's gone...so not health cures means you are risking everything).
    Second...combat is always close...enemies are almost always close to you, no places to get cover, no kills from disntance (very rare, expecially in the beginning): position, timing and order of moving are much more important.
    In Hunters I always scattered a bit my party, to uncover the most of the map...and then trying to kill enemies from distance.
    Here...if you want to kill that shaman you must get close to him...meanwhile getting surrounded and pinned (ie: blocked from moving if you haven't evasion boots or are an elf) by those Orc Warchiefs.

So...it's similar but different :)

EDIT: I would like to add that, if you aren't over playing the white quests to be overpowered in the red quests, enemies are smarter than in Hunters (and generally what they haven't in smartness, they have in sheer numbers).
    Black dungeons are another story...sometimes getting that magic caster down is a real effort.

19. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So, is there any kind of randomization in the dungeon layouts or baddy placement if you replay a dungeon?

20. vogelmann

vogelmann Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Cologne, Germany
    Absolutely yes. Each character is unique, with own abilities and/or spells. And most of the time with unique weapons and gear. Every character adds something unique to the game.