Warning for beta user that pirates beta copies of your game!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by VTX, May 17, 2010.

1. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    @Mondae - in the UK the general law is that you can't sue a minor (under 18) in respect of most commercial contracts (such as NDAs) because they're not legally able to sign up to them. I believe that's the case in the US too. And with the profit margins we're talking about, it's often not even worth chasing many of the others through courts because it's just too expensive (and I mean court fees, not lawyers' fees).

Criminal activity is different and, of course, you can be held criminally liable for your acts much younger.

As a lawyer, this is something that I'd love to help to address because it totally sucks. Minors involved in this type of activity shouldn't just walk away wthout even breaking sweat. Some will probably think I'm being extreme, but I think letting younger people completely off the hook sends all the wrong messages and doesn't encourage any sense of responsibility.

2. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    Find a game you like, contact the developer and see if he needs testers, if he does then give him your best and you will become a respected beta tester, some people try to get into as many betas as possible, but I would suggest you find one or two great games as test for those, put all your focus into those and you won't be an average tester for a lot of games, better to be a great tester for one or two than an average tester for ten.

3. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Ok. Thanks. Just never knew how to bust into testing.

Ow... Person who said something about UK law:
    I did not know that. Learn something new everyday. I think it would be the same as a like sueing someone for smashign in your car with a hammer. But that was just my understanding.

4. Aussie2

Aussie2 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    #24 Aussie2, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
    Btw, I think anyone with a Twitter account should tweet him and say that what's he is doing is wrong and stuff like that.

Edit: Also it is likely that this guy is on sites like ibetatest.com so we should probably warn people on there about him and people like him, also as well as the trusted beta testers list, there should be a bad beta testers list

5. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    I would like his member page.

6. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

There already are threads with beta tester lists. But it would be cool if there was a sticky maybe? I know several greatt esters here I'd add to a list.

7. Spaztrigger

Spaztrigger Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Under your bed
    That is pretty bad....so banned him from the pushpanic site right? asince I'm also a beta for VTX's game

8. Aussie2

Aussie2 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    I noticed that on the site he mentions that he is 16, but from the details he sent to vtx he said he is 17, found that a bit weird

9. BlueSolarSoftware

BlueSolarSoftware Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Austin
    This takes it to a new level. If you're just a pirate, versus a Pirate who is involved in the scene. Sad really, because iphone games are so cheap nowadays. Yep, there's that report that most devs sell less than 10k a year, so most of us are not rolling in the dough.

10. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    He probably isn't even a teenager and he is using that ad a cover. To keep the authorities off his back.

11. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Wow this makes me really mad. He got Super Quickhook dammit....I mean he stole many games ;)

But if you're trying to get beta testers you should hand pick them. This makes the tester feel special thus resulting in more feedback.

12. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    awww see thats not cool...

if a dev entrusts an early version of their game with you for testing purposes, at least have the decency to return the favor with some respect.

i'll admit on the fence with IP and copyright infringement in general imo it really is an outdated state of mind but this kind of disrespect is just wrong, plain and simple. All you're doing is giving a bad name to beta testers and subsequently our community...

i know information wants to be free (as in freedom) but disrespecting ppl like this is not the way to do it :)

my two cents

13. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    respect and teenagers are two opposites these days.

14. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Watch out he is going to pirate Vector Rally.

15. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    No problem, either way they wouldn't buy it, no boobs are found in this game = bad game. :D

One thing for sure, I won't be looking for beta testers on this site for my next game.

I think making games free with in app purchases is the best way to fight this scum?

16. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    That won't work either they have ways of getting around that as well!

Don't leave though, lots of us still want to test your game!

17. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    To be honest, I already had sour experience with beta testers on this site.

They cried a lot to get beta version and not a single response afterwards. I understand the only reason they wanted to "test" is to get a free version of the game. I wasted time, device ID's etc with them, so why bother?

I will consider using list of trustworthy beta testers though.

18. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Yeah,normally the more experience they have, the better the feedback. Also you could contact the devs of the games they tested and find out how useful they were.

19. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    one of my jailbroken friends said he saw the minigore update cracked before it even hit the appstore

20. sleb

sleb Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Ohio
    I am not a dev but i deal with the law. I would suggest that you use beta testers that are local to you. If it is not possible to sue them then you can press charges for theft. If they are local to you and you get their information you can forward it to the local police department. Most departments have computer crime officers or someone who knows his way around that specific area. Juvenile or not the laws still apply. In some cases you can get a judgement for damages to cover some costs of the stolen item as part of the sentence.