Warp Gate

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by tel, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    WILD SPECULATION AHEAD
    I'm beginning to wonder if they aren't holding it back to coincide with the release of the Apple tablet computer. Freeverse had made a big deal about the scaling graphics in Warp Gate (doing normal mapping on the 3GS, and plain textures on the 3G, for example), so maybe it will look even better on a screen 4x the resolution of an iPhone.

Or maybe they're shining it up to make it look, sound, feel, and play better. That works, too.

2. Lost Cipher

Lost Cipher Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Anyone got new info on this game? Is it even still coming ? Or is it now vaporware?

3. JindoFox

Dec 21, 2008
    I'm thinking it's on hold pending some big Apple announcements on January 27th: maybe using iPhone OS 4.0 features, maybe tablet compatibility. Or maybe they were waiting for the Xmas rush to die down, now they're waiting for the GTA Chinatown Wars mania to subside?

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Considering I've played the game in many stages of its development, it's anything but vaporware. ;)

5. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

hodapp has spoken! :p

i cant wait for this to come out!

6. I've given up on this one... Fail...
    I'll be happy if it comes out one day...

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Just for the sake of clarification, do you prefer half baked games that are rushed to release... Or games that actually had a lot of time and effort go in to them?

8. lydia

lydia Active Member

May 28, 2009
    Then you will be happy soon! Warpgate is coming, we are working hard over here.
    ;)

9. Hippieman

Hippieman Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Senior Producer, Designer
    San Francisco
    Hey guys.

The game is very much not vaporware.

Here is exactly what is happing.

1. I'm playing through the game (for the billionth time) ensuring all the Achievements unlock properly. Last time I played through the entire game (which is difficult to do as it's very open world) it took me about 15 hours.

2. Lydia is editing all the text, as I am a horrendously bad speller and have poor grammar.

What does this mean for the release of Warpgate? I can't put a date on the release, but it's going to be headed everyone's way soon. If for some reason I can't think of this changes, I'll post an update.

10. I prefer finished games, but why announce a game almost a year earlier, of that's all your gonna do? I liked the way IL kept silent and then they unveiled it all at once. Bit it means that the game will (hopefully) raise the bar.

11. Patton

Patton Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Grad Student
    Denver
    It was announced in June.

From the early video, the interface looked a little clunky.

I think I read (somewhere...) that they threw out the old interface and completely redesigned it. I'd imagine that caused a considerable delay.

Regardless, this is good news: it'll be released soon and they seem intent on getting it right.

I certainly won't complain about that. I'll be buying this one on day one.

[Edit] P.S. I love that this thread has only 90 replies... with most adding something to the discussion... props to all involved. There isn't a 100 pages of one line responses.

12. SarcasticGamer

SarcasticGamer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    What happened to this? I was excited to try the 3gs specific feature, I sure hope this didn't get canned! Also what happened to legion of aimon WTF freeverse we deserve to know :(

13. Patton

Patton Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Grad Student
    Denver
    Seriously...?

Two members of Freeverse's team posted in this thread exactly one page before this one... go read...

Not canned...

14. SarcasticGamer

SarcasticGamer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    Ok what about Legion? It looks like a falloutesque kind of rpg and one I'm most excited about since they showed us the artworks.

15. JindoFox

Dec 21, 2008
    Me too! :D

And I'll bet that we will hear something more about Warp Gate tomorrow, when Apple announces its new thing. This game looks like it would be even better on a larger touchscreen.

16. Bobtab

Bobtab New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Been following this game since June.
    Looks fantastic.
    So pleased to hear from the developers that warpgate may be out soon.

17. ahcl20

ahcl20 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    UK
    Glad to hear of some new info.

I for one am still not sure why Freeverse decided to maintain total silence for the past few months (4 months???) All it has done is to make the fans disappointed and upset.

Even if there was a hiccup with the development surely there is no problem to let the fans know? At least we know it's not been shelved.

A bit of a PR disaster IMO.

18. lydia

lydia Active Member

May 28, 2009
    Thanks for your opinion. As a developer for the iPhone, a pretty darn young and new market, changes come along and we have to roll with the punches. We decided to tweak, change, add storylines, make the game more smooth, more capable, etc. As we're doing all this on one game--take Warpgate-- we are also making MANY other games and apps and doing the same thing for all of them. We love everyone who buys our apps and follow us and our projects, but letting everyone know every move and every change is impossible.

Let me just say, with a project in an industry that is constantly changing and relatively unknown, we are trying to make a product that 1. is great 2. we are proud of and 3. doesn't overhype itself.

To broadcast every change in our game process would be impossible. Please be patient and read the previous page in this forum if you're curious about how close Warpgate is to completion.

19. ahcl20

ahcl20 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    UK
    I haven't asked for an update on every little change. As I posted I (and some of us here on the forums) were dismayed that there have been NO information for a good period of time.

I'll keep quiet now coz I have been ranting about this constantly here on this thread. I look forward to the release - when it happens.

20. scottyd2k9

scottyd2k9 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Unemployed
    st helens (UK)
    When is the release gunna be i hope it's before may !