Wave Wave - Absolute beast arcade game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Masstertron, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    I would like to test your game.. Hehe :)

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I would be more than delighted! :D

3. background

background Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Auditor
    The game looks great, will keep an eye on it.

4. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I am addicted to the thought of getting addicted to this

5. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    #25 PeteOzzy, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    Well I'm definitely not disappointed! I have never seen a game of this genre with so much content - I'm not surprised you're proud of it!

The presentation is as spot on as you could ever have hoped to achieve, I mean it plays with the crisp quality of the screenshots and absolute perfect responsiveness in the controls. The chiptune soundtrack is marvellous, as you suggested, it fits the hyper-intense pace without ever becoming the focal point and site acting the player.

It's almost overwhelming the amount of different modes and difficulties on offer. I wouldn't have been disappointed if the original mode were the only offering but the outstanding second mode (I think it was Galaxies though it's very early so I may be wrong) is possibly even better IMO.
    Most twitch runners could be criticised as being shallow even though that's half of the appeal - this is the most generously designed piece of art I've seen in the genre by a long shot.

It has all the potential to be one of my all time favourite endless games and even in the top iOS of all time and that's with me restraining myself from spouting too much hyperbole!

I should probably try to be critical though seeing as this is a beta but that's remarkably hard to do!
    The icon doesn't quite feel as stylish as the rest of the game. It's absolutely fine and I'm just grasping at straws ATM but I'd prefer to drop the W and use almost a still from gameplay - I get the feeling it's going to end up as an iconic design and at the moment, it looks a little more like an app than a game.
    The woman's voice is awesome announcing the switches in perspective (She may as well say "Goodbye" instead of "Stand" - I'll be amazed if I ever pull that off!) but it can get grating when you die every few seconds hearing her do the whole Game Over and Start bit. I definitely don't want to play without the sound and miss the cues and awesome music so maybe some way to switch that off would be nice.

Again, absolutely nothing dire just my only criticisms. In all honestly, I just want to stop writing so I can go back to it :p Thanks for the opportunity and the really rather beautiful game!

Edit: Found the option to turn off Sound Effects which is a reasonable medium, though it definitely increases the difficulty in some modes!

Have to say that Rotator is now my favourite mode but there's just so much variety I'm sure that I'll change my mind in a few minutes!

6. Hype...there is...there is a lot

7. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I was tired when I read Pete's feedback and I thought he said "I am definitely disappointed" I got so scared!

8. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    SO MICH CONTENT SO MUCH BRAIN HURT! I love it!

I challenge anyone to get past 3.67 on Repeater Quick Sticks...

9. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    This is honestly the craziest most psychedelic trip of an iOS game I have ever played... I don't know how you squeezed in so much content! Every mode has a split screen VS mode like holy cow!

I'll be the Debbie downer and criticize a tad... Do you think you could lower the craziness of the screen pulse etc on the earlier difficulty? It honestly becomes painful to look at the screen after many sessions...

Apart from that this is astoundingly well done. The visuals are amazingly crisp and colorful and there's a plethora of modes each with 6 (I'm pretty sure) difficulties. The modes are

Infinity (which has 3)
    -Random
    -Rotator
    -Repeator

Galaxy

And Levels.

All of which have VS mode except Levels.

(Also it looks like Levels only has 5 difficulties)

Now, back to mindthrobbing action!

10. Masstertron

Masstertron Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    I challenge you to survive wave mode in Quick Sticks :)

So thank you very much for the early feedback, it's great to know that stuff is resonating.

And as for the amount of content, I feared that the game would come across as slightly diluted. Tell me your thoughts on that later if you spend more time with the game.

Last thing, sure I'll lower the pulsing on wave/waves-difficulty. I've had that tip before so it definitely seems like an effective idea.

11. PeteOzzy

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    4.39 :p but that was ridiculous difficult!

It's testament to the amount of game modes that I had no idea which mode that was and spent ages looking through the menu for it!

12. PeteOzzy

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Scratch that. I'm not one to brag, but THIS I am proud of!

Attached Files:

13. Masstertron

Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    That's pretty good, trust me.

What about the "ruinous" repeater stage though?

14. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    How's this? )':

Attached Files:

15. Masstertron

Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Excellent :p:p:p:p:p

16. PeteOzzy

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    That mode is an absolute beast...I love it! This game has made a bad week incredible - I cannot wait for more people to get to try this!

Attached Files:

17. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Can't wait to try it.

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Count me in on the playtesting if there still slots open. This looks wicked, and right up my alley.

19. PeteOzzy

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    @Cloudpuff and EP. I figured you'd both enjoy this very much when I was playing, hopefully you get in on it - always good to have people kick my butt :p

20. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Haaa I'm in, the dev was off to bed as he's in Australia and is gonna email in the morning, (which I guess is tonight to us Limeys lol) so get your practice in :)