Universal Wayward Souls (by Rocketcat Games) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2014]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    I'm really sorry to ask... again... but is it going to be made possible to see my Endless score offline? :eek:

2. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011

I obviously can't speak for Rocketcat, but all of these suggestions seem to be of the "would be nice, but nope, too much to go back and implement retroactively to the existing game" variety.

3. Silver Light Storm

Mar 3, 2014
    Does anyone know if this game has a save point? If so then where can I find one?

4. SirHanet

SirHanet Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    Its Perma-Death. You can't save. One shot, one go.

5. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Just to be clear, you have to complete each dungeon in one go, but once you finish a dungeon it does save that. So the save points are at the end of each dungeon.

6. DantBro18

DantBro18 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Something that I think would be cool is some outdoor areas, you could probably port over some from MG, most of the levels are very dark and gloomy, having some bright ones would be nice, also some rainy environments. Another idea I had was a return to Mage Gauntlet kinda thing, where we could go back and see the aftermath of the final boss in MG, and we could see an old Lexi or something, or we get to rescue her from the tower.

7. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Finally completed all of the dungeons with the characters of my choice (warrior, mage, spellsword, cultist) :D. Well I guess thats it for this one. Can't wait for the next rocketcat rpg!

8. Zenfar

Zenfar Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    http://www.zenfar.com
    Need to give it a go

Ok somebody push me over the edge of buying this one... I need to commit :)

9. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    If you don't you'll be missing out on one of the very best mobile games ever made

10. ryanini01

ryanini01 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Behind you
    This game is the best app I've ever played and well worth it

11. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    This is the best mobile game I've ever played, and I'd pay $100 for it if Rocketcat were asking it. Not buying it is.....no. Buy it.

12. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    You wouldn't pay hundred bucks lol.. It is a fantastic game though and I highly suggest it.. Get ready to die, a lot.. The game is difficult and it takes forever to build your character up.. Awesome nontheless

13. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Why is it that nowhere in the app description does it say it's a rogue-like? Clearly lots of people are gonna be pissed off thinking this is a zelda clone only to find out their entire save gets wiped if they die.
    Meh looks nice, if only it doesn't have permanent death which is so pointless.

14. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    To be accurate, you don't lose your entire save when you die, just your progress in the current dungeon. There's a save point at the end of each dungeon. But yea, I agree it's a pretty frustratingly hard game, which isn't for everyone.

15. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Ha... Guess a lot of us were drawn to the game because of 'pointless'ness...

Good ta know

16. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    #3776 Moocow, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    I'm saying it's pointless for me k? Because I prefer more casual games where you don't have to retrace your steps hundreds of times if you die. If you like it good for you. :rolleyes:
    It's too much to ask to put a simple warning in the description saying it's a rogue-like or "featuring permanent death mechanics" so people who are not interested in these kinds of games will stay away? Sounds misleading. Would you buy a game that looks exactly like Ocarina of Time with a description that supports it, but after further investigation finds out its combat is turn-based and nowhere in the description mentions this?

17. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I dunno, I like to read reviews and watch trailers before I buy games. I never read the iTunes descriptions. It's something I do because of things like you're talking about. You can request a refund from Apple, but in the future you should look more into the games you're buying before buying them, especially with all the stuff in the AppStore.

18. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    You save your coins to upgrade characters and obviously the levels you unlock, hats and all that. It's just that the dungeons don't have any checkpoints and you lose all the equipment you got in a dungeon after finishing it/dying.

19. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    First off, WS is one of my favorite games on iOS, even though I know I'll probably never complete it, as is.

I think this great dev should just add another difficulty mode and have the current game as hard mode. Then, adjust so that normal mode spawns you at the floor you perished on, instead of back at the beginning of the stage. I may actually be able to finish the game that way#

The benefits of having different difficulty modes is twofold...increase the user base and more importantly, sales.

20. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    On everything I stand for, yes, I most absolutely would, and more. I have received literally hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of this game, and I'd be embarrassed to tell you how quickly and how many times I have burned through 100 bucks in my life. This game is worth it imo, lol away :)