Universal Wayward Souls (by Rocketcat Games) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2014]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 23, 2014.

1. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I really want to like this game but the inability to heal just ruins the entire experience. I don't think it even comes close to a game of the year.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Dood... My son is now crying coz i laughed so hard reading your post that it woke my son up.

3. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Im still waiting for a real sequel to mage gauntlet. This game is very well made, oozes charm and atmosphere but is just too frustrating to be in the same class as MG. Its more like a love it or hate it where MG was pretty much impossible not to love. I kno im in the minority and the game does deserve its praise, as does rocketcat. GOTY no way tho, not when it caters exclusively to hardcore gamers who enjoy punishment. I even hear people say things like "I love this game, even tho ill prob never even beat the first dungeon.". Thats not love. To me thats more like being addicted to smoking ciggarettes and saying you love ciggarettes.

All that said, if you know what your getting into, its well worth the price and is a very well made game.

4. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I just wish it were still selling well enough to justify a native iphone 6 plus update. I know, it looks good as it is, but I can't help it. Every time I got a phone with a new screen resolution, I only loaded it with apps that supported it.

I... Can't... Help... Myself...

5. Ryan187

Ryan187 Active Member

Jan 7, 2013
    My 6 Plus will be here soon, is it worth it to purchase this now? Or should i wait for a possible update?

6. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    You heal every time you reach the next floor (and can upgrade the amount healed).

There's also a health potion item that can show up.

7. Intendro

Aug 6, 2013
    #3807 Intendro, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    [sorry for double post]

8. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Buy it now. An update to iPhone 6 resolution wouldn't make a huge difference, unlike many other games.

9. Waks

Waks Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Philippines
    How does this look like on a 6+ right now? I'm wondering as well.

10. Roadblocked

Roadblocked Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Just got an iPad. How can I use my iPhone save on my iPad? How this doesn't just happen on a 6.99 game is beyond me

11. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Someone who claimed to love the game but was never able to beat the first dungeon has probably changed their opinion of the game by now or has become much better at the game.

I've beat the fourth dungeon with one character and the third dungeon with three. The other characters have all gotten through the first two dungeons. I think it's best to look at this game as following more of an arcade template. Once you've bought all the character upgrades, you're always starting from scratch and it's not something that's meant for everyone to be able to beat. If this game weren't hard, people would blow through it in a few hours and move on. Most old school games rely on high probability of failure to hold gamers' interest.

What's so much better about Mage Gauntlet? On challenge alone, I think beating the second quest or at least three-starring every level is about has hard as beating WS is.

12. Roadblocked

Roadblocked Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Anyone?

13. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Just use the cheat codes the developer provided on their facebook page to open up whatever was available to you on the iphone.

14. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    How great is the soundtrack of this game.. Wow! Just made it to the third dungeon and can't get past the 3rd floor.. More health potions would be fantastic but whatever.. Awesome game

15. Intendro

Aug 6, 2013
    #3815 Intendro, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    This game uses iTunes File Sharing because iCloud apparently has issues. I've heard of various games having save-overwriting issues.

Here's how to do this:

Connect your first iDevice to your computer.

Bring up iTunes on your computer.

Go to your device.

Click "Apps" and scroll down to File Sharing.
    Find this game in the list.

Click the save file. Click the "Save to" button. Pick where to save it on your computer.

Connect the other iDevice. Drag and drop the save file to the same place.

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It would be cool to have a cloud save function for sure, but expecting it on every mid-high priced premium title is ridiculous.

17. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #3817 undeadcow, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    Touch Arcade forums' Game of the Year 2014 Candidate

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Wayward Souls was successfully nominated for voting in the Touch Arcade forums' Game of the Year 2014 poll; voting will occur over the next 7 days (through January 7). Developers are asked not to vote for their own game or recruit votes outside of Touch Arcade.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=249263

18. terrence92

terrence92 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2013
    I finally did it!! ^^

Attached Files:

19. ryanini01

ryanini01 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Behind you
    Sorry to ask again, but when is the update expected?

20. ALWH1588

ALWH1588 Member

May 7, 2014

I'm glad someone else noticed this. I feel like so many people play on silent and it's really too bad!