Universal Wayward Souls (by Rocketcat Games) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2014]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 23, 2014.

1. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    yeap, i bought the soundtrack for twice the asking price in bandcamp and have the "No Way Out -Reprise" as a ringtone :)

2. Rythan

Rythan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2014
    Will there be another update in the future?

3. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    There's supposed to be...

4. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Any word on the next update? I thought it was due for release in January??

5. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    I've gone as far as to buy the soundtrack and play it on my iPhone all the time ##

6. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Are there any cheatd for this game?

7. wondroushippo

wondroushippo 👎🏻carter👎🏻
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 4, 2010
    Male
    Ex-TA, now I do PR
    San Antonio, TX
    #3827 wondroushippo, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  8. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
  9. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
  10. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
  11. ryanini01

ryanini01 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Behind you
    #3831 ryanini01, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    I just saw that the paladin will probably come out around summer, but wasn't there a nightmare boss update planned?

12. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, there was quite a lot of talk about a January update with boss rush nightmare mode etc. So roughly "translated", we'll probably see it in like May.

13. ryanini01

Apr 29, 2014
    Behind you
    Haha I waited a year for this game I can wait another few months

14. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    Oh me too, just a little light-hearted trolling ;p I'll wait as long as it takes, and when the update hits, I'll devour it :)

15. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Just back into the game thanks to your comments guys :p

Forgot how amazing this gem is. Such a beautiful experience.

16. ryanini01

Apr 29, 2014
    Behind you
    Yeah, this game is pretty much perfect :)

17. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    The catacombs are what nightmares are made of. The first two towers were fine, but this is too much for my little rogue.

18. ryanini01

Apr 29, 2014
    Behind you
    Yeah the catacombs are harder for me personally than even the 100 floors endless dungeon.

19. Warriv

Warriv Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 21, 2015
    Portugal
    I guess I'm terribly late for this, but oh my, this game is an absolute classic. I'd like to thank rocketcat games for making this game and sharing it with us, and congratulate them on the gorgeous art, design, music and writing. It truly is a complete game.

I actually bought it for the original price, at a time I didn't really buy many games, but I guess between the early price, the alluring gameplay, and all the comments vouching for rocketcat's integrity, I just decided to get it on a whim. I didn't quite get into the game, because I realized I'd have to immerse myself into it, and with a pregnant girlfriend, work, and all that stuff, I just didn't have the disposition nor the time.

Almost a year has passed since then, my child is a healthy five-months-old boy, and things have settled down a bit, so I got back some free time to devote into gaming. That's when, after discovering toucharcade (yeah, I know), and getting acquainted with some marvelous titles I never knew existed, I decided to give this another try. And oh my god, what was I thinking, having a life and whatnot, when I could've just been playing this??

I've just managed to beat the catacombs for the first time, and I just can't put words on the feeling that ensued. I don't think any game has given me such joy before, at least not since I was a child. Of course, before the joy, comes a lot of punishment. Sometimes I'd jump in my seat whenever one of those stealthed guys showed up without warning, to quickly swipe out of the way. That's the thing, this game really keeps you on the edge, watching out every step for the next misadventure.

I must say, I actually read through this gigantic thread (over the course of a week), because I was curious about the developers, and how the updates went, but mainly because I don't actually have anyone to talk about these things, so I just like to read the comments from others. I must say it was quite a ride.#

If I were to choose these thread's highlights, one would definitely be the straightforward and sincere approach Kepa has shown to the community, even if he kind of disappears by the end. Another would be Quazonk's success on the endless dungeon, 999 floors, my hat off for you, sir. The final one is buried somewhere deep in the 200's pages, and consists of an extremely well written essay of a disgruntled costumer who accused rocketcat games of basically being the personification of evil. Well worth the read, as is Kepa's reaction.#

As a low point, I really don't get people who come to a thread and make requests as if they're entitled to be granted, or give "advice" to the devs on how the game is broken because they can't beat it while watching tv, or something. For one, I'm glad the devs have a direction for the game, and are sticking with it.

So, I'm sorry for the wall of text, I was just so happy after beating the catacombs, I just had to speak up. While I'm here, I might as well ask if anyone knows if there's going to be an update before the PC port comes out.

Also, how does Mage Gauntlet compares to this? I'm tempted to buy it, at the very least to support the company, but I'm still on the fence since WS is singlehandedly dominating my gaming needs.

20. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Whaaaaattt... on TA?... NEVER! You sure you been looking on the right site? :D

As for Mage Gauntlet, personally I prefer it to WS. For my lack of skill it just feels like I can actually get somewhere in it.

Wayward is about 650% too hard for me :p

But I do appreciate the quality and approach they took. And I'm not asking them to make it easier for my entitled ass lol