Universal Wayward Souls (by Rocketcat Games) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2014]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Congrats on beating the Labyrinth for the first time, that's a very rewarding moment.

The hat you're referring to is The Endless Crown, the hat that you get on the 100th floor of the Endless Shadow.

2. bhoylhogro

bhoylhogro Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2014
    I keep crashing immediately whenever I die in endless. Does anyone have the same issue?

iOS 6 on iPad 2

3. bhoylhogro

Nov 26, 2014
    All achievements completed!

Routinely playing daily (with weekend marathons) finally paid off big time. I have now 100%-ed Wayward Souls' achievements two months after purchase. I only had bare-minimum skills and maximum luck with close calls to achieve the last two hardcore ones. I've shook my fist and breathed sighs of relief more in this game alone than any others I've played before.

Screenshot taken while having a big grin on my face. I'm not yet done with this game.

Attached Files:

4. KineticBlur

KineticBlur Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2014
    I've been thinking of picking this up... not sure why i've held off for so long. Any tips to keep in mind for a first-time player? I played Mage Gauntlet so long ago that I barely remember it. Would appreciate any pointers on WS before I download it later today! :)

5. bhoylhogro

Nov 26, 2014
    It plays very much like Mage Gauntlet (even a lot of enemies are similar) but skill activation is different because of swiping. Classes have their strengths and weaknesses in skills that you need to master, especially the ones that avoid damage (shield, repel, or dash). Reading enemy patterns is crucial as well. The randomness makes the difficulty level varied in each run, sometimes with specially-designed events thrown in that adds some story and unique characters to beat. Even after completing the game, I'm sure I haven't seen all the events they made.

For character-specific analysis, this helped me a lot.

If you're stuck to the point of frustration, JackMule's videos will be very useful. But be careful, they somehow broke the game and my progress significantly accelerated. Still, it won't ruin the fun of playing the game nor the challenge.

Hope this helps!

6. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Not completely sure what the differences would be, yet. Ideally I want both versions to have the same content, with ios getting all the new pc stuff. We may run into limitations though because wayward supports pretty old devices.

Not me but my iPad 2 is ios 9

Congrats! This sort of post is exactly why we made the game.

7. brian_black

brian_black New Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Latest update causes app to crash any time a teleported pad is used. iPhone 5s on iOS 8.4.1.

8. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That ambition is good enough for me.

9. DantBro18

DantBro18 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Has the idea of an on screen minimap been brought up? I know it might not work on small iPhone screens, but for the larger iPads it could work and for PC it would definitely work. I do understand that you want to keep the game screen clear of unnessicary clutter though. So it could be a toggle-able feature exclusive to PC maybe.

10. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Is this happening for anyone else?

I think we're making it so that the map is what you see when you open the pause screen, unless you toggle it off.

11. eal_cubo

eal_cubo Member

Nov 28, 2013
    version 1.28 crash ramdomly, ipad mini 2 - iOS 7.1.2

when I play with the mage in the catacombes, after 2 min playing the app crashes;
    and I don't know why, but sometimes there are like white lines in some areas of the screen

I'm back on version 1.262 and everything is OK

12. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Does it crash when doing nothing, or is it right before or after doing something specific?

Can you get a screenshot of the white lines?

13. eal_cubo

eal_cubo Member

Nov 28, 2013
    #3953 eal_cubo, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    I updated again the game. I confirm that it happens when a teleported pad is used

I hope it´s enough ;-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6upy8qvbivz2ht/001.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/28fymqhppogcu7h/002.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5uuxp1yklcf9ry/003.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y84l1c91j2dmyx0/004.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qhcyt8c79gibblv/005.jpg?dl=0

about the lines, when I move my character the lines appear/disappear in different places

14. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ok, thanks! We're trying to track this down or even have it happen on our devices. Not sure why it's not showing up for us yet.

Anyone else with problems?

15. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    So I never picked this up because of the price tag, but now I suppose it's about time I should anyway?

16. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    this is the best game on iOS ever.
    so i think yes, you should.

17. NightmareCC

NightmareCC Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2014
    But pretty hard IMO

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The difficulty is one of the things that make this one of the best games on the appstore. The difficulty is based on skill-based mechanics, and not because an enemy has a near-infinite health pool, and not because an enemy one-shots you. Skill-based combat as in recognizing enemy attack patterns, enemy movement, and how you need to counter those by picking the right openings and how to choose safe attacks.

19. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    EP are you sure this wasn't meant to be in the MHFU thread? :p
    ----
    Okay so I bought the game and it's looking good!
    Just finished the first level (chapter?) with the butler boss on my first try :D
    I'm ready to have my face stomped into the dirt though haha

20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The comment is applicable to both games. :D