Universal Wayward Souls (by Rocketcat Games) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2014]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 23, 2014.

1. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I agree. It feels like it would be a crime to stay on mobile only - it should be shared with the world, on PC at least. WS is the kind of game that would be hard to over-hype.

2. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    High resolution pixel art is, funny enough, probably as or more expensive than hand-painted art. We went with a more low-resolution style for a few reasons:

1. Mage Gauntlet had a similar style, didn't want to change it for a followup.
    2. Partially reusing a bunch of monsters from Mage Gauntlet.
    3. Sheer volume of content. Wayward Souls has 15 areas (all with different tilesets) and about 100 monsters before including recolors/reskins.
    4. Bonus reason: Ease of making hats.

If the game does well, we'll do a final 7th character with his own story and special "nightmare" area to fight in. All other characters are cancelled, as the game's paid now instead of free and the characters are a lot of work. Mostly because every character gets 15 pieces of equipment, and every single piece of equipment tends to change their playstyle.

Nah no "tip jar as only IAP". It's just more beneficial at that point to simply have no IAP whatsoever. You just know people will see a tip jar in the IAP list and go A "$5 GAME WITH IAP?? NO SALE" without actually reading it. For future games we'll probably go all or nothing with IAP. Either around 5 dollars or more with no IAP, or free with IAP to buy, say, extra characters.

3. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    You hear a slam. Suddenly you realize you are trapped with no escape. You must fight until the death. And death there most certainly will be. This is such a wonderful take on the dungeon crawler. No save points, no do overs, you either kill the boss or you die. Simple enough.

There are four classes that each have their own skill trees (if you can call them that). I am currently trying to get all of them to unlock the superpower. Not sure what that will be but of course that makes the going all the more fun! And as you progress you will find some superpowers that are short term but sometimes helpful, and some upgrades at the forge. As predicted these are also random. The perfect combination might not happen for you for several rounds. So tread carefully and utilize all that you can because it might not appear again for awhile.

Enemies are abundant. Walk with trepidation cuz a boulder might be thrown at you when you turn a corner; an axe thrown at you; bullets ablaze; or lord only knows more. The bats. Oh boy the bats. You would think those are the easiest but they are ridiculously brutal. Or the guy that throws explosives and explodes when he dies. When you are a melee character this is the most annoying thing ever. Hit and retreat. Hit and retreat.

What is super refreshing is that the enemies can hurt each other. Often times the enemies are immune to their own damage, but not so here. This lends some interesting strategy to try and get that explosive guy to blow up next to the others. So much fun.

You need to set an alarm for this release. Get it the second you can. But be prepared you won't be able to put it down. So at the same time you set the alarm clear your calendar. You won't want to do another thing.

4. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    After we get a content update or two out, we'll be working on a PC port. We're also having someone look into a Vita port, and possibly other consoles. This is in addition to the Android port being worked on by Noodlecake right now.

5. InkyTheGhost

InkyTheGhost Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    Oh man. This is gonna be so good.
    I hope Eli lets Kepa stream this one of these Fridays. I'd love to see how far he can get. (I'll close my eyes during plot points)

6. paradsecar

paradsecar Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I'm not sure I follow. If your dungeon progress is always saved and there's permadeath, what purpose does the checkpoint after the boss serve?

I'm assuming this is similar to FTL where you can exit, force close, and pick right back up where you left off when you open the game again?

7. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Even though there are no save points, does the progress get saved when you exit/close the app and enter it a few minutes later? You know those 10-minute gameplay moments interrupted by the kids shouting. I hate when I retake the game to find that I have to replay those 10 minutes (to get interrupted again by the kids... :p)

8. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I'll probably stream it once, but will likely wait to show off a content update or something like that.

Various people: Yeah you can get a phone call or go to the home screen or whatever and it'll be fine. Not sure about force quitting.

9. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    I did try with force quitting and the game did return to where I was.

10. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks. I'll try force quitting when I grab it, just to check, but phone call resuming and such is ok/enough with me :)

11. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Well said and I fully agree.

Best rogue-like I've ever played in 31 years and I must admit I usually don't like rogue-likes that much but I was so hyped due to all the comments, videos, etc..
    This one here is a whole different story. Played it almost 4 hours straight and it was so hard to put it down. I guess I just felt in love.

12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

You should have taken this into consideration BEFORE casting these "Summon Minor Lifeform" spells.

13. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    It just means you unlock a new character and a new area. Its not a continuous checkpoint. You start at floor one of a new dungeon. Harder. Longer. More of them. Separate.

Play until you beat the boss of the bottom level or die. Force quit the game you lose it all. Let it run in the background (answering a call for instance) pick up where you left off.

Upgrades on the other hand are cumulative.

14. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Lol'd :) when I saw Sanuku's video I thought "OMG, more than 1h of video". I began watching it with the idea of seeing 3-4 minutes and I got so immersed in the video that I had watched 20 minutes when I thought the 3-4 minutes were over :p

15. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    #95 HansKaosu, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Unless im totally mistaken you can start over with the character from the checkpoints on new runs

there are only 3 check points in the game

after you beat the 5 levels in a area there is a boss then a checkpoint.

I think they need to be unlocked on every character

Anyone feel free to correct me.

It does resume after force quite.

16. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    This didn't work for me. Force quitting brought me back to screen with the castle on it. No progress saved (and after force quitting I would not expect this anyway).

17. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    Its not a checkpoint. You merely have unlocked another area. You can go back and start with another character, with the same character, etc. A checkpoint presumes you can ONLY start from that point to go further.

18. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    In most perma death games you start from the beginning and cant pick unlocked areas.

so its a checkpoint.. even kepa called it that on the TA podcast

and force quite then resume does work

19. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    Thanks for the observations - I'm a couple years old but same gaming situation.

20. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    #100 mkaen, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    ____