Wayward Souls (Mage Gauntlet spinoff by Rocketcat)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by undeadcow, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    "Wayward Saga: We're seeing if we can polish things up a little bit to submit it to PAX East. Changed one of the boss' animations to have more fluid sword swings, looks a lot better now."

From their Facebook.

Is PAX east really in April?

2. Frungi

Frungi Active Member

Yep, April 11–13. http://east.paxsite.com/ I'm hoping that's for awards or something, rather than a public preview.

3. Frungi

Frungi Active Member

4. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Fantastic news, not much longer to wait

5. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Very great news. Been looking forward to this game for a VERY long time.

6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Hmm so the Paladin isn't gonna be fully playable? Just for the tutorial? Kepa said that in a video

7. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
  8. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    For those that didn't see their fb update-

They finished all the main game features, all they're doing now is bugfixing and polishing for three weeks. They want to add shopkeepers (money sinks), pets, and an ultimate class for when you unlock everything in updates post release, pending if the game does well.

9. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
  10. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    #210 Montanx, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    Finally we get some word on this. How long have we been waiting for this? 2-3 years? Not like it's some graphical marvel, it's little more than an SNES quality game really, would think they could get it out faster. Between this and solomon dark there's a lot of expectations, but I'm pretty confident rocketcat and rapti can meet them.

11. Toonamical

Toonamical New Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Student
    Hawaii
    Just got back into Mage gauntlet and remembered they were making this. Does anyone know if they plan on adding multiplayer in a future update or something like that, cause that would be kinda cool

12. PandionDan

PandionDan Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Not to be that guy but I don't suppose there's gonna be any widescreen love for Mage Gauntlet?

I understand it's probably a lot of work, I just hate to see sequels come out and the original games just languish in the App Store… *cough* Infinity Blade *cough*

13. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    HELLO, sorry I haven't posted in awhile. Been busy.

Randomly generated levels, 6 character classes that play differently, and some LIFE ISSUES during development. All three things inflated the time a bunch. Generally graphics doesn't eat up as much time as designing a big, complex, extremely replayable game.

Nope, the game's combat isn't designed around multiplayer. I'd like to do another game like this specifically built from the ground up for co-op, though.

Most likely after Wayward Souls comes out, since it would be pretty easy at that point. WS supports widescreen, and uses an updated MG engine, so would be pretty fast for us to do once we're less occupied.

Just for the tutorial, though we may do a thing post-release where you can unlock the Paladin as a final class. After completing some sort of near impossible challenge, of course.

14. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

A bit disappointed you guys changed the name. but excited that the game will be out soon

15. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Aww rats! Paladins are cool. I'll be anticipating that challenge then :D

Wait, so is this a premium game now? As a $5 download? I remember original plans were f2p

16. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Yeah $5 download with no IAP, though we'll probably do a similar, simpler game after this that's free+IAP. We didn't want to get tied down to this game forever, as free+IAP encourages a pretty dedicated update plan. I'd like to play around with some combat stuff in a redesign, which we couldn't do much of this time due to the game being closely based on Mage Gauntlet.

17. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Darn. I hate paying for a complete experience :/ Oh well, I guess it's back to candy crush for me

18. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Nah, Flappy Bird. The Dark Souls of iOS gaming.

19. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    Words can't express how happy I am that these guys ditched the dirty free to play route! I am literally wetting my pant with excitement for this release now!!!!

20. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Flappy bird is too scary