Wayward Souls (Mage Gauntlet spinoff by Rocketcat)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by undeadcow, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    What is the gameplay like? Mage gauntlet? Or is it more like a dual stick shooter?

2. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Gameplay's like Mage Gauntlet at its base, but the point is to have each class have its own take on the gameplay. The Gunner is like a dual stick shooter (if his design goes as planned), if it took place inside of Mage Gauntlet. I think we'll probably just have the one class with dual stick shooter controls.

3. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    Awesome. Doesn't matter what the game is, if it's from you guys I'm buying. :)

4. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    #44 JoeyLP, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
    Will it be possible to pre-order every single Mage Gauntlet/Mage Gauntlet spin-off game in some badass Rocket Pre-Order Bundle? Or may I donate some money to you guys (via PayPal)?

5. R3TAL1AT3

R3TAL1AT3 Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Just read up on the spellsword class. The planned improvements/modifications on the class sounds really awesome. Especially having more equipment-based abilities, while keeping the rest of the class pretty much the same as Lexi in MG. "If it ain't BROKEN, DON'T fix it" :p. Looking forward to playing it. If it turns out great (which i'm sure it will :) ), hope its implemented in MG2.

6. Narziss

Narziss Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    I understand. I really hope for something with co-op like Gauntlet Legends one day in the app store.

7. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Apple doesn't allow the first. Also it seems kind of odd to solicit donations. Maybe we can do a Kickstarter or something later for an extremely risky/strange project I'm thinking of.

Pretty much everything we do in this upcoming game doubles as a way to test ideas for future games. Anything that works in the spin-off can be used as different specializations, classes, unlockable abilities, and/or just as loot for Lexi in MG2. Also if we make the Gunner a dual-stick shooter controlled character, it would be really easy to turn what we learn into a seperate action-RPG+dual-stick shooter game.

Not to mention the "random dungeon with handmade segments" system being extremely interesting for use in future games. If we can pull off a really nice random dungeon system, I'm not sure what kind of game in the future wouldn't take advantage of it. I've always wanted to make games with lots of procedural generation. In fact, Mage Gauntlet was originally going to be all random levels, but we decided to wait until we had more experience to attempt that.

8. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    The former was more sarcasm than anything else.
    And donations aren't odd. :p You're creating a game, which based off of Mage Gauntlet, sounds like an amazing game. Le money is because you deserve it. xD

9. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Will there be a story? Or is it just dungeon crawl till' you drop?

10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    This is so comforting to hear. If characters are unlocked via coins/gems does that mean I'll lose all record of unlocked heroes if I reinstall the game or add it on new device?

11. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    We're looking into better save backup options. iCloud is the obvious one.

There's a really light initial story, so you can drop into the action. But there will be books, characters you can talk to, and other story bits scattered around at random. Also, each character is planned to have different endings for each "dungeon level" that you beat. So four endings planned per character.

12. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Is it endless?

13. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    The dungeon levels will probably go: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Diamond, Endless.

14. Teh_Ninja

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Yes!!!!

15. xzamplezz

xzamplezz Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Kepa, I posted this in the Mage Gauntlet section, but you seem to be active here at the moment. Is there some way to add the ghost feature to this game?

16. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Answered you there. Short answer: It wouldn't work because the levels are randomly generated each time.

17. Teh_Ninja

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    The ghost feature is used in replays, right?

18. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Yeah, like in Hook Champ and Super QuickHook. Note that we didn't use ghosts in SQH's avalanche mode, though, because you were running through a randomly put together course each time.

19. beast_skillz_86

beast_skillz_86 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Good to hear this will have a fair F2P system. Huge fan of mage gauntlet!!!

20. xzamplezz

xzamplezz Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Alright that sucks for me, but I'll still purchase whatever you put out just because you introduced me to the platforming speedrunning genre.