Wayward Souls (Mage Gauntlet spinoff by Rocketcat)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by undeadcow, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Well... Now that I'm famous I have to completely rethink my life. Should I run for office? I also have to redesign my gravestone. Maybe write a best selling book based on a true story about the entire experience.

But in all honesty, it's both an honor and a dishonor at the same time. :) :(

2. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Hum... As soon as Scott is done, I wonder if the contest will keep going. The weekend is soon to be over, so it will be hard to go through the other contestants because of work. I don't see people playing during work, unless they have a few days off.

3. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #883 ScotDamn, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Well... I finally beat that SOB. It wasn't that bad actually, just have to pay attention to how the boss hits you, which I didn't realize until recently.

I'll leave some impressions in a minute. :D

Edit: this contest has been thrilling. It deserves TA's front page mentioning.

Attached Files:

4. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    That's true. Maybe, the people who cannot really commit to the game should back out unless your a rogue like master. Or let someone go in front of you who has a bunch of free time like someone who spends most of their time in a retirement home.

5. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    DamnScot!!! That Mage is pretty difficult to use. Congrats! How long did it take you to beat it and how about many attempts? Did you have to upgrade a ton? And did you encounter that bug I mentioned that attacks don't work when your facing the wall in certain directions?

6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    YES. YES. YES. My time has come.

So Kepa, what's my MLG challenge since the starting three heroes have already been used?

7. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Im 17 and im on spring break so ill be able to play the boss. Only 2 more people and then my turn :3

8. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Congrats!!!

Now, I am curious to know how the challenge is gonna turn. Brace yourself Jcho

9. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    I have a few days off, and I am after you.

10. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    image.jpg

Kepa, i just named my one of my game folders Kepa.

11. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #891 ScotDamn, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Impressions: Wayward Souls - iPhone 5s iOS 7.1

Wayward Souls is actually quite an appropriate title. Especially when given the circumstances in which I was able to enjoy it. It sucked my entire mind, body, and soul right into the game. It demands your undivided attention or you'll lose. Luckily, you will happily comply.

It's hard to call it a roguelike with several game mechanics quite different from your usual RL. But it does sport brutal difficulty.

The Mage class is tricky. You're easily killed and she doesn't seem overly powerful to compensate. Without touching any of the other classes, it's impossible to compare yet. One things for sure though, the class was difficult in an already difficult game. Not able to hack or slash - I was forced to constantly position myself in one of 4 directions, with a lot of kiting (stringing along the bad guys). This was tough when entire rooms were filled with bats (god I hate those things) or other explosive enemies.

The art and graphics of WS are simply beautiful. So many different rooms and diverse lighting. With the procedural generation, it's always a different experience. This goes for both level designs and enemies. It also keeps you from planning a stagnant strategy, forcing you to deal with a wide range of possible mobs.

The story seemed to slowly show itself randomly which was pretty cool, so again you'll always get a different experience.

The music is just wonderful, the perfect cherry on top. It helps set a great atmosphere and pleasurable experience. It really is great.

The controls are exactly what I want in a touchscreen game. Not lazy with virtual buttons but also extremely functional.
    This game will set standards.

Through the first 5 levels in what started to seem like groundhog day, WS seems to be the complete package. It gives hope to people like me who believe the mobile platform can support quality and premium games from small indie developers.

For early impressions, I give this an easy 6 out of 5 stars.

12. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Thank you! Yes I upgraded bunches. My attempts were probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 40. :eek:

I didn't come across any bugs actually. Seemed to work fine in all directions for me.

Thanks!

Yes Jcho, get ready.

13. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    If you have the game now, start grinding as much as you can until Kepa gives you your objectives.

14. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Jcho was sent a code. I'm going to post three challenges from now on that anyone can attempt. If all challenges are completed, I'll post three new ones. Also, every time someone with a code does one of the below, I'll send a code to the next person.

CHALLENGES:

1. Kill the first boss in 20 seconds, getting the achievement for it.
    2. Kill the first boss with the Spellsword (also requires killing second boss).
    3. Kill the first boss with the Warrior, Rogue, Mage, *and* Adventurer.

Do one of the above, post a screenshot (or screenshots) proving so, then post some new feedback.

15. Shifaan

Shifaan Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2013
    He's a mod? Oh damn. I'm sorry mod guy, it won't happen again.

16. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I'm a bit lazy, so I'm not going to check right now, but how long is the code waiting list?

17. Shifaan

Jul 27, 2013
    You've made me proud, son.

18. Timobrow

Timobrow Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    Good luck guys ^_^

19. Shifaan

Jul 27, 2013
    I could sneak in and have a go, because I don't work and it's school holidays. If that's possible then I'd like to have a go at Wayward?

20. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Omg, those seem almost impossible. If I were any of you I would back out now. The fist one might be the easiest if you do it with the warrior because he's strong but don't take my word for it.