Weekly Game Impressions!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GoofyJmaster., Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

How do you prefer impressions?

Poll closed Nov 27, 2011.
  1. Short and sweet

28 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Long and technical (very in depth; review-like)

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    There was already impressions on Crazy Hedgy and that's all I've bought, but after 3 levels, don't even finish the sentence - GO BUY IT!!! :D Got a GOTY nomination from me instantly :D

2. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    The impressions of Crazy Hedges are quite good from what I see on this thread. I'll pick that up with Venture Towns later. And how bad is the grinding in Z4? I really don't like that aspect of RPGs.

Also, Lost Winds impressions would be great! Thanks as always!

3. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I'm working on it! Trying to juggle everything is crazy, but Lost Winds, Critter Chaos, and hopefully Dangerous impressions will be up today.
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2056919#post2056919

4. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #64 GoofyJmaster., Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
    Ran out of space

Dec. 21 continued... (Part 1)

Critter Chaos
    Ugh, I hate making impressions/reviews for puzzlers. I find them to be the hardest games to write for.

Anyways, the game has managed to slip into my GOTY top 10(edit:missed top 10 by 1 spot) along with Stretched. Like Stretched, Critter Chaos has brought fun and refreshing gameplay to the physics puzzler genre. Honestly, all I have to say is there's nothing wrong with it. The level design is amazing. The puzzles (game in general) are challenging, but fun. The difficulty rises at a steady rate. The mechanics work flawlessly and the slime/goo moves very realistically. Speaking of the slime it adds a whole new level of awesomeness to puzzle games for me. i can't think of another slime game I played off the top of my head.

As a nature enthusiast, I also love the premise of the game. You are a bunch of forest critters who don't want your home destroyed by the "MAN".

Great job on a great game. I highly recommend it to all puzzler enthusiasts.

LostWinds

To make it quick:

The game looks very nice and runs well. It's a platformer and you're goal is to save you're homeland. You will be finding new paths, discovering new areas, and adding onto your array of powers. You do all this with Toku and his wind spirit Enril (main protagonists).

Overall the game is fun, but getting used to the swip controls for the wing can seem daunting at times. Especially when the game doesn't register your swipes. If you'er looking for a fun, new adventure/platformer then this is for you.

Zenonia 4
    Not going to go into detail because it's free. Yes, I'm not a fan of freemium games, but so far I haven't really felt pushed into any IAP and the game is playable without them. Pretty much it's a full Zenonia KRPG with amazing graphics, a pretty awesome story, PVP, PVE and all the good ol' RPG elements you're probably looking for. Definitely worth a download at the small space requirement.

Edit: You might feel the need to buy the bag upgrade which will cost real world money. Sorry, i forgot about that.

Sorry if that seemed rushed, but I'm prepping to get al; my other stuff completed by tomorrowish.

Thanks and have a Merry Christmas!

5. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #65 GoofyJmaster., Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
    Bumpity Bump!

Finally done with impressions for this week's big (some small) releases!!!

Here's a quick link to (Part 1)

Happy Holidays to anyone that celebrates Christmas and a have a good weekend to anyone that doesn't!!!

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I don't want this thread to die so I decided to finally post some impressions!

Super Crate Box

For those who are hesitating and if this post won't change your mind and you're still sitting in the corner wondering should you get it, at least try the free version for your pc or mac from http://www.supercratebox.com/ !! Now, to the impression.

I already had previous experience with SCB so I knew I was never going to regret this buy, and as I opened the app and gave it a first spin, my initial thoughts while buying were confirmed - my game of the week!

When I first heard about SCB coming to iOS, I was obviously happy, but at the same time quite worried. As most of you know, SCB is a game filled with frantic action, with a game that where you need to know how to shoot while in the air, you just need the perfect controls. Thankfully SCB doesn't fall short with the controls. They're pretty much the same as Muffin Knight has, arrows+shot and jump. They work well, but they're a little small, not a big dilemma, but it would be good if you could adjust them. Maybe you can and maybe I missed that part as I have only focused on being addicted to this, but if it doesn't have an additional control scheme or an option to adjust the size or spot of controls - it does need one then. There's also an iCade support which was an obvious choice for the game. I myself do not own an iCade, so I can't comment on that any further.

The graphics and sounds are just incredible and to just experience it yourself could be a reason to buy for some. There are 3 maps I think, not sure, no iPod around, anyway... They're all great and different from each others. You can unlock another map by scoring 10 crates on a map. Score something like 40 crates to unlock another game mode. Anyway, it works, the whole game just works.

It's universal, on a 99c sale and I honestly can't see any reason for anyone to not buy this. Yes, it needs an option to adjust your controls, but it still doesn't mean the controls suck, they're great. What I'd like to see is more maps and an online multiplayer. For now, it's 4.5/5! The game itself deserves 5/5, but the omission of multiplayer eats half of that shiny 5th star.

WILL EDIT LATER WITH IMPRESSIONS ON LUNAR RACER AND POCKET LEAGUE STORY!

7. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    ^ I thought you guys had left me. :p

Glad to see you're still here!

8. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yeah I was just bored to write. Holidays you know... :)

9. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Haha yeah! I struggled to post the ones I wrote, and our site suffered. :eek:

10. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Err, so is this thread dead?

I was looking forward to reading about the sequel to Zombie Wonderland. The first one was dull for me so I needed some solid feedback to nudge me into buying this one.

11. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I've just been busier with stuff! Plus, I've been posting in a lot of the game's dedicated threads.

I didn't buy ZW 2 because of the first one either. Once I finally get situated, I'll try and start leaving impressions again.

12. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I'm just going to come in here like I haven't been missing for two months xP. I'm going back to writing actual impressions instead of what feel like reviews. I know no one wants to read walls of texts at once. The frontpage reviews are there for that.

This was a great week for platformers, damn, and I don't even have all of them.

---------

2/15/12

Beat Sneak Bandit

Finishing the levels isn't too bad, but collecting all the clocks takes quite a bit of practice. Took me over ten tries just to get all four of them on level 2. Pretty steep learning curve, heh. The art and music design are definitely top notch. Extremely challenging and innovative. Not sure it's a platformer for everyone. Check out some gameplay videos at least though. It's a fun experience.

League of Evil 2

If you haven't played the first game, that's something you need to correct. If you haven't played the second game, that's something you need to really correct. The best of 2D platformers on the AppStore. Go try out the lite versions or watch some videos if you're still not convinced. Both are on sale for $0.99 right now.

Little Acorns

Just played through the first world (20 levels), collecting all the fruit in each level instead of worrying about speed-running them. Will go back and do that once I have all the costumes. This is genuinely one of the best 2D platformers I've played on the AppStore. While the difficulty level is pretty low in comparison to LoE and MS, the charm and how fresh the mechanics feel make up for that. If you're a fan of the genre, grab this for a dollar. Currently 60 levels. I have no doubt that this is going to shoot up the paid charts tomorrow along with some of the other great releases this week.

Pizza Vs. Skeletons

Played through the first world (10 levels), and I'm loving it. Can someone say GOTW? This is definitely mine out of this great release week of platformers. The diversity of the levels is great. Really like the music and art direction. The boss fight had to be my favorite part so far though. 100 levels so far and more coming soon. The shop adds to the absolutely ridiculous premise. Saving dogs, killing huge skulls, skiing, what can't this guy do? I just don't understand how this 25 foot pizza guy keeps his face straight as his rolls around, lmao. Although the difficulty level in the game is pretty low, it's just great fun. Best of luck on sales guys.

Robot Gladi8tor

Not really loving it too much so far. The game looks good for the most part (Unreal Engine), but the textures and character models appear pretty awful at times. Nothing in comparisons to what you see in Infinity Blade 2. The framerate on the 4th gen. isn't great. Screen swiping is insanely slow. I like how you can walk around, but that's pretty much the best part (only good part) really. The combat doesn't do the game much justice in comparison to the Infinity Blade games either. Also, there's no leveling or equips, so there are probably not many reasons to replay the game once you're done. The app info says there are only 10 fights, and considering I've already finished 5 in under 30 minutes, I'm guessing this won't be a long game. I guess you can say that there's a reason the game is $2.99 instead of the usual $5.99 for Unreal Engine titles (IB, Epoch, Dark Meadow, etc). Right now, the game is pretty bare-bones. The options menu is always a good indicator of that. The only thing you can do is switch hints on and off, and change the difficulty level (E, M, H). Pass.

----------

Thanks for reading guys. Hope you found the post helpful.

13. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    Awesome :D

Thank you for your impressions! Will definetly check those out.

14. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Thanks for impressions BTT, will buy PsV now. Also, here's a small impression for BlockHopper after few levels:

It's a puzzle-platformer game where you build blocks to help you pass the level. What if someone would say you that they could mix platformer and junk jack? Well that's how this feels(even tho I havent played JJ)! The game is already awesome and I've just got to 8! I know some may not trust an impression after so little levels, but really, it's so awesome. The game is challenging and you really have to think before you place a tile. You can pause the game and place a tile even while falling down and then you'll continue real time and continue the game. Controls are good, but not perfect, but it's not hurting the game much. My GOTW for sure.

15. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #75 GoofyJmaster., Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
    Haha! BlockHopper is in strong contention to be my GOTW too.

*I'll prolly just c/p my impressions. I'm pretty sure I've written impressions for most of the games this year. I just abandoned this thread. :eek:

I'll update OP later.

@b2t thanks for the heads up on robot gladi8or. I'll prolly pass on it.