We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009.

?

Is Canabalt worth $2.99?

1. Yes

213 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

293 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Not my type of game

102 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I'm disappointed in the 31 people who voted "NO! It should cost less!" :(

1. They must not understand the amount of work that went into making this game. The soundtrack alone is worth $12.99.

2. They must not have played it yet...

2. Yixian

Yixian Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Medical Student
    Europe
    I people aren't willing to pay at least 12.99, if not 14.99-19.99, for an App Store game, then neither the iPhone or iPod Touch will ever have games of comparable depth and scale to the DS and PSP etc.

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #463 Vovin, Apr 22, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
    Yeah, I am always wondering about this idiotic behaviour - first to cry for games with depth, cool graphics, marvelous sounds and a sh*tload of content like on PSP or DS - and in the next sentence they are complaining about prices and that they never want to pay more than 3 - 5 bucks.
    The developers of Square / Enix are a big and highly skilled team - and they don't work for free. Such a production has its expenses.
    But some people have no sense about money and its value and again: why are such cheapskates running around with devices for a few hundred $$$?

I am very glad that S/E has a sense of value for their productions.

This time I am not sorry for my rants - saying that it should cost less is a slap in the face of Chaos Rings developers. If the people say that the game should be cheaper, this shows the disrespect for other peoples months of hard work.

4. -RYUK-

-RYUK- Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Chaos Rings is the best game I've ever played on a "mobile". A Nintendo DS game costs about $40-$50. And this costs only $12,99 and is much better than a DS game!
    Pros of ChaosRings:
    Amazing graphics! (by amazing, I mean really amazing!)
    Controls are pretty good
    Awesome game play
    The fights remind me of the old Pokemon games for the Gameboy color. (good ol' times) :D
    Many many special attacks
    Pretty cool story
    ... You should get it ;)

5. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Maybe there are 2 different groups doing the complaining; one that complains about the lack of content, and another that complains about high prices. I highly doubt anyone would be crazy enough to have a problem with a high quality game with a higher than normal price. *checks poll results again* Nevermind...

Thank goodness the majority of us understand the value of hard, creative, work. Chaos Rings is currently #17 in the appstore, and #1 highest grossing.

6. exgamer

exgamer Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    iOS Price Discussion Recycle Bin - Canabalt still isn't worth $2.99

Canabalt with its black and white display and only a jump button. I played bam bam dash and monster dash and both are better and cheaper . Do you think canabalt should be $2.99 or should the price go down.

7. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    The price should be what the market will pay. Period. Basic economics.

If buyers deem the game to be worth 2.99, then that should be its price. If they don't, then the price should/would change accordingly. It has nothing to do with its "real" value relative to other products, only to do with its perceived value in the marketplace.

8. exgamer

Aug 3, 2010
    pricey

Look angry birds and doodle jump have way more content than that. Canabalt is just one stage and thats all. It should have different themes or something to make it better.

9. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Holy f*cking shit not this again.

10. LeopardGecko

LeopardGecko Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Male
    Addictions
    Colorado
    My thoughts exactly.

11. exgamer

Aug 3, 2010
    me too

Thats what I say not another developer gouging prices again . Its getting ridiculous.

12. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It's your sig now? Really? Lol just don't buy the game man and move on with your life.

13. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    No. $3 for a game is not ridiculous if you like it and play it. Stop being cheap and expecting every game to be $1, people like you complain when a game has 10 hours of content but isn't $1 like Angry Birds.

14. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Wow, are you shitting me? How old are you bro? You pick what you want to freaking buy. I'm sure if the devs saw this thread, they would be just as opposed to you even buying Canabalt as you are to buying it for 3 freaking dollars. Clearly it's not too much because a myriad of people have bought it. It doesn't matter if you think similar games are better and cost less, it's the developers choice to market their product at a price that will be both acceptable to the public and be beneficial to themselves. GTFO.

15. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    with current performance this game should not be in appstore actually.

16. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Just go buy the game already, OP, because otherwise we'll have to keep hearing this discussion over and over again. You obviously want it, otherwise you wouldn't get upset about it.

17. eyemh8

eyemh8 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    To stay stupid
    Estes Park co.
    were can i find a list of top iphone games that goes past 200?

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I literally just spent $3 on a Slurpee.

Is Canabalt worth as much as a Slurpee?

19. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    No.

In my opinion, Monster Dash is a billion times better. And Mirror's Edge, one of Canabalt's inspirations, is available for just a few dollars more. Unless you're REALLY into the whole retro thing, Canabalt is not worth it.

And that's all I have to say about that.

20. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

No, especially when the game is broken, as it is right now.

A Slurpee is always more memorable than this.

I did buy the game and it just was not worth any amount of money, one trick pony and it was maimed by the last few updates.

To each their own though, for me it was a bad purchase, no matter the price, for others, a great purchase.

To the OP, best way to find if it is worth it is to buy it, only way to be sure.

David