We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009.

?

Is Canabalt worth $2.99?

1. Yes

213 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

293 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Not my type of game

102 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Fair enough, and I know it's hard to manage what games to buy with a limited budget. You can only read what people are saying, and I don't necessarily mean the positives or negatives. I mean the concepts that are incorporated in the game. I usually use this as a starting point to determine I'm even remotely interested in a game. For example, if I like touch controls and the game only offers a d-pad, then chances are the game isn't going to fly with me. It's a subjective example, but it helps to narrow things down.

2. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I thought it was worth 3 bucks, just cuz I play it more than most games. Standing around at work, I don't have time to get into something deep, and Canabalt provides me with a quick and fun experience, much like Skee-Ball.

The artwork was what did it for me though, and that's what made it worth a measely 3 bucks. I don't regret my purchase.

Also this thread is funny.

3. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    I think you need to take some shill lessons from me. You should build up at least a few hundred posts before you start openly shilling for Saltsman, especially when detective freedog is on the case!

4. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I told myself that I would only spend $20 on games this month. I've already spent $7 on Soosis and Earthwork Jim, and when Ravensword comes out, I'll likely spend another $7 on that (hoping that's the price, but if it's $10 I'll probably get it anyway). So, I'm basically left with 3 or 5 dollars to blow.

Thanks for reminding me of Skee-Ball. I've been eying that one for the last week. I could get Skee-Ball, Doodle Jump, and Robocalypse for the price of Canabalt.

5. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    I played this game online today, and thought it was a fun game. Pulled it up on the app store to buy it and saw the 2.99 price tag and thought no way. Maybe 1.99 or less but not 2.99. I'm not a cheapskate, I've probably spent over 100 at the app store in the last 2 months. There just isn't enough to this game to warrant a price tag above 1.99. I will wait for a price drop before I'd purchase this.

6. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm just curious what you would need to be added to the game to increase it's worth another $1? Or would you not pay that extra dollar no mater what?

7. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Blast, my diabolical scheme is RUINED!! I should have known I could never have gotten away with posing as a person who actually thought the game is fun and was worth $3... :(

8. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Seriously, on what planet would somebody believe THAT story? You obviously live just down the street from the developer and have him over for drinks on a regular basis like me.

9. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    uh duh ian, freedog's not the only one??? The answer is how bout some more gameplay content, the ability to do more than tap to jump, more scenery, powerups anything.

Ian can you make it any clearer that your defending is motivated by friendship? lol

10. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #50 tsharpfilm, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    Different levels, and different playing modes, like an endless endurance mode (like it has now), and a story mode.

11. sk8erdude50

sk8erdude50 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    it depends what apps u have right now becuase for me it was totaly worth it since i have benn playing since it came out on the first day, but with that said, there are a couple of games that offer more bang for your buck, like kilathon and a couple more. but if u have all of the good 99cent apps that you want, then definately buy this.

12. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Why stop there? For any game charging the premium price of two hundred and ninety nine cents I expect the following AT A MINIMUM:

- Awesome original sound track
    - Beautiful art and animation
    - High scores with Twitter, Facebook, Open Feint, AND Plus+ support
    - Realtime online multiplayer over Wifi / 3G / Edge / Airplane Mode
    - Must support every iPhone OS version (incl. jailbroken)
    - Lifetime bug fixes
    - Lifetime content updates with NO DLC (free)
    - Personal communication with the developer (preferably 24/7)
    - RPG story mode with dialogue trees and character customization
    - Endless mode
    - Mission mode
    - Pocket God tie-ins
    - Pocket God mode

Oh, who am I kidding... I would only pay $1.99 for those things AT MOST!

13. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Here's an amusing and relevant quote

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18298120&postcount=13722

14. davecazz

davecazz Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

but we would at least get $0.19 of that because of the Pocket God tie-ins and Pocket God mode right?

15. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Of course! And since you will be making buckets of money from PG tie-ins I hope you don't have the audacity to continue to charge 99 whole cents for Pocket God!

16. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    You know what... My quote was a description of Samuari: Way of the Warriror. It has different levels, an endurance mode, and a story mode, and it's only $1.99.

We're not asking for much. We're just asking for a price that is proportionate with the other prices in the app store. And, like I said before, I could get Skee-Ball, Doodle Jump, and Robocalypse for the price of Canabalt.

17. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Why would you buy Skee-Ball, Doodle Jump, or Robocalypse when for the price of any one of them you could get:

Touch Pets, Eliminate, Real Racing GTI, Paper Toss, Hanoi, Tower Madness Zero, Tap Tap Revenge 2, Word Fu Plus, Dr. Awesome Plus, Topple, Topple 2 Plus, Dropship, Maze Finger Plus, Finger Foos, PapiJump, PapiRiver, PapiPole, PapiCatch, PapiMissle, JellyCar, and STILL have $0.99 left over?

18. Negamaki

Negamaki Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    lol o snap, thats a great deal Ian!

19. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Not my kind of game.

I heard you have to pay for energy packs or something.

Already have them.

Not my kind of game.

I have enough tower defense.

Not interested.

I already have them.

Didn't like it.

Already have it.

Not interested.

I don't want to spend more than $20 on games this month. So far I've spent $7. That leaves me with $13 for Ravensword (when it comes out), and maybe a few other games.

20. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    What kind of a gaming budget is $20?