We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009.

?

Is Canabalt worth $2.99?

1. Yes

213 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

293 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Not my type of game

102 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    It's the game budget that I came up with after spending $60 on iPod games. I need to cut down. I have bills to pay. lol.

2. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    Adam Seltzmon has bills to pay too :(

3. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Well then, he should lower the price to $1.99 so that it can sell more.

And, to make one thing clear, I do plan on buying this game, eventually. I just can't get it this month because I'm on a tight budget. Next month I'll have another $20 to blow in the App Store, and Canabalt will probably be one of the games I get. But this month I'm saving my dimes for different game.

4. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    You should PM the Ravensword developer and let him know he could make more money selling it at $1.99. Maybe he'll cut you a slice in return!

5. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    right, because comparing a game that takes at least half a year to produce with complex coding algorithms involving multiple weapons/armor combinations, enemies, and locations presented in 3-D graphics to a one stage, one button, two week production is smart.

i'm aware that you're being sarcastic, and i enjoy canabalt as much as the next guy, but come on.

6. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    #66 Nausicaa, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    The only reason Samurai is $2 is because cheap people like you weren't willing to put down the original $5. It's not like the dev suddenly realized the error of his ways. He was forced to lower the price, and wasn't happy about doing so.

I can't believe people are really holding out on this game because it's $.99 too expensive :rolleyes:. The cost of a candy bar.

To answer the OPs question, yes it is absolutely worth $3. It's an incredibly polished experience and you can't help but admire its refined simplicity. It's one of the few apps I play almost every day. If you're like me, and mostly play iPhone games on the go, it's perfect because you can boot it up and play a few games in only a couple minutes and feel satisfied.

7. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Have you seen the videos for Ravensword? I wouldn't have a problem at all spending $6.99, or even $9.99, for a game like that. You're getting your money's worth. It has a lot more than jumping...

8. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, you're right. After running the numbers again I figure Ravensword is worth $5.99 AT MOST.

I mean it IS unfair to compare a game whose entire framework and engine was written by the developer (in 2 separate languages) to a game which uses a pre-existing 3D engine and scripting language.

9. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    People like me? Are you sure about that? I bought Way of the Warrior shortly after it came out for $2.99 without any reservations.

I'm not going to spend a dollar more than I have to. If I were rich, I wouldn't care. But since I'm not, I'm staying on a strict budget. I'm not going to spend more than $20 a month on iPod games.

I'll definitely reconsider Canabalt next month.

10. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    #70 nodoctors, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    the amount of languages used to code a game becomes irrelevant when the game that was coded is this simple, and is loved for its simplicity. the creator himself admits to how fast he pumped the game out. it doesn't balance out to being as laborious as a game like ravensword, or even other 2.99 titles such as underworld. trying to compare a game with wholly repetitive but stylistically simple 2-D sprites for one stage with single touch controls to a game with a lot of 3-D character/enemy polygon art, and textures for multiple towns/dungeons, on top of coding in the inventory system and the way it affects battling, multitouch controls with different options and setups, as well as an actual story with more than a handful of missions is, again, all pretty foolish. but keep on keeping on.

and knocking a dollar off of the price of ravensword in comparison to canabalt is also a joke. a dollar difference in canabalt is a third of the price. a dollar off of ravensword is more like 15 percent. and yes, therein lies a difference. but by all means argue that "a dollar is still just a dollar!" you'll just show how you don't fully grasp how the average consumer mind thinks.

11. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Yes.

It is worth $2.99.

12. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm glad we have people like you with such insight into the world and business of game development to explain things to people as inexperienced as me.

13. RiverOnFire

RiverOnFire Well-Known Member

I see nothing wrong with a game going on sale to gain sales of people on the fence.

14. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    i'm glad too. when someone throws out such half assed overly sarcastic remarks like you have, somebody has to step in.

15. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm just trying to ensure that we have a definitive and exhaustive debate to get to the bottom of the age old question of whether Canabalt is worth $1.99 or $2.99. Do we want to be responsible for someone only able to play 14 new games this month instead of 12? I don't want that on my conscience.

16. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    Yes it is but I was under the impression that there would be leaderboards by now (openfeint maybe ? )

Without leaderboards I won't play anymore..............Please add that option !

17. RiverOnFire

RiverOnFire Well-Known Member

The dev should just make a lite version but limit the game to just one level and get rid of the checkpoints and the powerups and stuff like that. Also for the lite he can get rid of the plus or openfeint or whatever the game has currently. Oh wait a minute...

18. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Read through the thread, and through the reviews in the app store. I'm not the only one who has an issue with Canabalt's price.

I don't mind spending money on apps that I really want. I spent $6.99 on Dungeon Hunter, $4.99 on Tetris, and another $6.99 on Fritz Chess. I wouldn't have a problem going a dollar or 2 above my budget if Canabalt was a "must get." However, after playing the flash version online throughout the evening, I don't think Canabalt is something that I'm willing to break my budget restrictions for.

I'll probably just wait for the price to drop to $1.99, or until I don't have any other games to choose from. Currently, there are still a lot of good $1 and $2 games that I would like to get.

Lmao!

19. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Eeenmachine, I want to be clear on something, for some of us it isn't about only being able to buy 12 games vs 14 games. Last weekend alone, I downloaded 28 games, the price ranged from .99 - 2.99, I even bought 2 programs that could make panographic photos, why, I wanted to see which one was better and didn't have a problem spending the $5 to get the best one. I have bought a few games for between 4.99 - 6.99, and was happy to do that. I like command and conquer, but there is no way I'd spend 9.99 for it, kind of funny since I own most of the others in the series and spent 30-40 for the disc.

Anyways to get back to your original question why is Canabalt only worth 1.99 vs 2.99 to me, and would I spend the extra $1 or what ever. As noted above I have no trouble spending money on apps that are "worth" it. To me the gameplay of canabalt is worth 1.99 MAX, I don't know what could be done to improve the gameplay, it is what it is. To me this game is similar to say little runner which I bought for .99, and I'm saying this game is worth at least 2x that.

One question I have for you is why have this game for FREE on the internet, yet expect to get more then 1.99 off from the app store? If you say the other is ad supported, that doesn't do any good as most people use ad blocking software to eliminate banner ads, well at least I do.

20. Squirt Reynolds

Squirt Reynolds Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    Where's Spungo Mcgee when you need him?