We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009.

?

Is Canabalt worth $2.99?

1. Yes

213 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

293 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Not my type of game

102 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

LOL — apparently, it's not.

Irony, for the big win.

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #1182 Vovin, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
    I bet the devs on TA are reading this thread, too.
    They're also have to change their pants regulary. Every 10 pages, I guess.

And the devs say: "Oh my God! :eek: These are our customers? We're screwed!"

And the God of the devs says: "Your wives will starve. Your kids will starve. Even your pets will starve. YOU will starve! Better go develop for PSP or DS."

3. natedogg213

natedogg213 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    #1183 natedogg213, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
    Well whaddya know the thread is back and the usual crowd is here posting. Nothing has changed, I love it.

Awesome, I get Voldemort treatment? First off - Vovin - why am I still on your mind? I guess I didn't realize the lasting impression I made. But your dorky obsession aside, owning 6,000 games is a certified addiction and as the other guy said, you'd be hard pressed to find a high percentage of quality games in there, probably loads of free stuff and crap (or he exaggerates). So, no, that nefarious fellow, Natedogg213, is not jealous.

To keep this "price-related," FFIII on the ipad for $16.99. What does everyone think of that? I don't own an ipad but get the impression that ipad games are usually 25-50% more expensive than their iphone brethren. Shouldn't the ipad version be $25-$30 then and not just a single dollar more? I expected that the release of FF3 on the ipad would be the time when they drop the iphone price and maybe I make my buy. But on second though, now that the dust has settled, FFIII is just old news...Bring on Chrono Trigger and skip straight to FFVI (FF3 in the U.S.)!

4. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

I wish it was higher.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    This thread is gonna be a riot if Chrono Trigger launches at $9.99 or above...

6. natedogg213

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    Seems like a reasonable thing to say :rolleyes:

7. natedogg213

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    Are they redoing the graphics for CT? Assuming they are not, I would expect it to launch at a price similar to Secret of Mana which was very reasonable (don't recall the exact price though).

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Volde-huh?
    Hey, chill... I wasn't talking about you, or did you hear your name?

9. natedogg213

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    Really!? Have you been living under a rock in Germany?

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Yes. Big rock... oh, wait... wasn't that this ugly faced guy from Harry Potter or what?

Seriously, I don't watch TV - and movies are also an exception; when I am terribly bored, for example.

11. natedogg213

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    I hear you, they take away from precious gaming time :D

12. jlach

jlach Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Sr. Applications Engineer.
    Middletown, CT
    I pray this doesn't happen. The indie store on the Xbox is somewhat of a joke. Sure, there are a FEW titles that have done semi-well (like you mentioned, Trials). For the most part, however, the indie section of XBLA is ignored.

The fact of the matter is, most "regular" gamers tend to ignore and avoid the indie section if possible. It's a lot like independent films. Sure, the Sundance Film Festival does pretty good. But it's nothing like what the big studios would put out (I'm not sure there is a "big studio only" film festival?). Also, how many people do you know would chose to go spend 5$ to see an indie film instead of 15$ to see a AAA film?

If Apple were to introduce a "Indie App Store" and a "AAA App Store" I think you'll see the indie store fail completely. This would be especially true if the AAA Store required some kind of special license that costs mucho bucks and requires company size and profit requirements (like XBLA does for non-indie games). The quality of the AAA games would be too good to compete with. Because they actually had to spend more than 100$ to develop for the platform they are going to drop more money into their already big budget title.

Look at this way -

You have Pocket Legends (that's that MMO right?) on iOS. It's free, but for this argument let's assume it costs 2.99$. Let's also assume it's quality is less than WoW, but still good and very enjoyable. This game is in the Indie App Store. You also have WoW. It's WoW. A watered down port of the PC/Mac version, but still good and very enjoyable. Let's assume it costs 19.99$.

What game do you think most casual gamers are going to gravitate towards? Do you think Pocket Legends will continue to be as successful as it is competing with WoW?

My whole point is (and I don't know if I was all that clear) that if you split the stores you basically are saying "Here's a store for the not-to-good developers" and "Here's a store of the high quality studios". While it's not true that all indie developers are "not-to-good", unfortunately most people who don't know the market (i.e: casual gamers) equate indie to "not-to-good". Just like those who aren't into filmography equate indie films with "not-to-good".

Just my 2 cents =)

DISCLAIMER: All of the above is based 90% off my opinion and view of the market and of people, 10% is based on first and second knowledge.

13. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    My theory about iOS pricing is always spot on.

Imagine the amount of profit a sale like this will bring. Keeping games at a ridiculously low price will guarantee the sale from doubters like myself. A developer's hard work can always be appreciated best, and in mass numbers, when the price of admission is low. Instead of looking at the game quality in terms of a singularity with a "this is worth $7" attitude, the developer was finally willing to share his art for cheap, and now everyone is curious to view it. Even with the negative reviews about controls on nearly every other game site, I'm going to get this as well.

14. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    Vovin > natedogg213 < Nippy

Those are less than signs btw.

15. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I bought Perfect Cell, Bug Heroes, Dead Space, Race to 1977, Starfront Collision, Secred Odyssey, and Uber Racing 3D for a grand total of $5.00

By the way, I've purchased 5 3DS games. 4 of them at 39.99. The other one at half price.

I also bought 3 PSP games, one for $30 and 2 others for $20 a piece.

By no means am I cheap

Fact of the matter is that the appstore has brought this upon itself.

I will may very well never buy an iOS game for more than .99c, no matter what it is.

16. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    1. That's terrible logic.
    2. The AppStore didn't "bring" anything upon itself.
    3. http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=88443

17. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I spend hundreds of dollars on premium appstore games. I own 400+ apps. I bought dozens of games for 9.99. I did this countless times for a period of two years. The content did not improve. It only worsened. As time goes on, these so-called premium games offer less and less content, and sell at cheaper and cheaper prices. EA started selling their games at 9.99 a piece. Now they are selling many of their games a 4.99. Of course the 4.99 games offer less content than the 9.99 games.

I fought the law and the law won. Hey, if you can't beat them, join them. You can buy all the high priced apps you want, it will never change the casual gaming mentality of the appstore. It will not prevent devs from racing to the bottom. Trust me. It's not terrible logic to save yourself some money and just wait and buy every single one of these games for a dollar. Because they will go to .99c. Every single one of them, without fail, will sell eventually for .99c. You are not going to improve the situation at all by paying full price for these games. Trust me. It's a road I've been down more times than you can count. You might as well just take your money and chuck it straight into the garbage can.

18. Ruby Murray

Ruby Murray Active Member

Apr 13, 2011
    New York
    Very true. But it's getting like the AAA titles on gaming consoles. Heck Homefront dropped $20 in a week after it got released. Savvy gamers never need pay top dollar again. I guess it depends whether you are an early adopter or not. I can wait if it means saving a bit. And it's not like we don't have enough games to play.

19. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Hey, man, I know exactly what it feels like. I just posted a lengthy post in the "Mass..." thread on how much I've spent total in the past 27 months on iOS games, which turns out to be nearly $1500 after an hour of calculations.

But honestly, not everything you say is true. The iOS market is moving forward at an exponential rate. If you really think games are still the same quality they were in 2009 and even 2010, that's simply just untrue. Even casual games have evolved quite significantly since those times. Prices are indeed lower now, but content has gone up, not down. Quality has gone up, not down.

Your second paragraph is much more accurate though. It's true. The AppStore is a place where the mentality on prices has never been seen before in any video game industry. It's a cheap place. The consumer base is cheap. The devs can do nothing but respond by using flexible prices. I guess in a way, I am throwing away quite a bit of money. But still, I have faith in the iOS. I'm going to keep with it for a while longer, and hopefully, I won't be disappointed. In any case, I like getting games as soon as they're out. I try to keep up with all of the new releases.

I'm getting a 3DS this weekend. After 27 months of using my iPods as the only portable console for gaming, I'm finally trying something new. I played the PSP for quite a while before switching over to the iOS. Let's see how this goes.

20. natedogg213

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    My god, why!? Talk about throwing money into a garbage can. Have fun playing nintendogs and pokemon in "3d.". At least consider waiting until
    The NGP is released.