We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009.

?

Is Canabalt worth $2.99?

1. Yes

213 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

293 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Not my type of game

102 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    I reckon that's about the only thing that we can both agree upon. We do need to keep threads like this focused more on the game, but I WILL NOT let anyone say anything bad about other people saying anything good/bad about the pricing for these games. Call me narrow-minded if you will, but you'll find me in person completely the other way around. I've been right and I've also been wrong, and I always change to reflect the right and just view. BTW, if you're so enlightened about the current economical ramblings of the world that we live in now, do enlighten us instead of simply insulting me. And I insult those who made the first offence. I don't go around insulting people and you can ask anyone who knows me and they will attest to that. Never mind your gender, at the end of the day it is our brain that's responsible for our world views.

BTW, on the other thread, iPhoneprogrammer posted a guide for this game. Quite useful in many ways;
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1672009&postcount=26

2. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    #1262 Mythbuster, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
    I want and I do! He, we want to talk about the game! Your posting are 90% offTopic and nobody want's to read it ... :mad:

@the rest: Please do not feed the troll. Let's talk about the game and ignore the rest ... any maybe the mods will do something ...

3. yongkykun

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    Idiot am I? What part of my post said anything about me wanting the game to be FREE? I wouldn't buy a BMW, btw, I do my bit for the planet, not lifestyle. I was defending any person's right to get equal treatment.

What you DO understand is something anyone does, no point in being happy and arrogant about it. So you're actually older than me? Geezers like you should've realized that I don't speak english in my everyday life. I'm Indonesian, so your idea of US being superior doesn't really do me much. Did you know that in Australia (where I live at the moment), we pay more than you do on app store? For this game, you pay US$16.99 whereas Australians pay AU$19.99, which is the equivalent of US$21.8. But you don't care about that do you? To you the App Store currency policy is fair, right? This as-long-as-it-doesn't-concern-US mentality is doing my head in. Even back in late 80's and early 90's that kind of mentality made some of my friends hate US. Like most, people are drawn to this game because it's FINAL FANTASY. Some complain about the game not being universal because it has no point to it. As I have pointed out, unless you want to have a separate app for each iOS device, then don't diss those people out.

Want to get your point across, do it sensibly, apply reason and logic. Then we can have a reasoned discussion.

I'm old, so let me rant. I don't expect anyone to read my posts and reply to any of them anyway.

4. yongkykun

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    Just do what gameloft is doing with their Order & Chaos Online game. Seems reasonable. Besides, GL has been copying other devs, why not copy them?

Alright, let's get on with the rambling, yeah? What do you think of the post I posted earlier in the FF3 for iPad thread, mainly this bit:
    "For this game, you pay US$16.99 whereas Australians pay AU$19.99, which is the equivalent of US$21.8"

5. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I'm +1 for this game = value for money, I've already played for 11 hours and don't feel like I've really done much at all.
    £5.99 is nothing at the end of the day it's the price of a packet of tabs or a mcdonalds meal.

6. yongkykun

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    Or two days meal in me country.

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Value is clearly relative among different people. Since you clearly know that, don't ever, ever tell someone that something isn't 'worth' it. You don't have that discretion because you couldn't possibly know the value of something to someone is. Definitely not targeting you. This is a general statement.

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Here is the official theme song of this thread-

9. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    LOL, oh my.

10. natedogg213

natedogg213 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    Don't act like you don't love every moment of it. This thread is almost in the Top 10 (post wise) in the General Game Discussion section. Yet, I am guessing that it never occurred to you (or your antsy mods that keep sending posts here) that pricing conversations continue because price is a legitimate issue to consumers in a gaming environment that is unlike anything we've really ever seen? I mean what is with this crusade by the same ol' people (Volvin, Backtothis, et al) to be the defenders of App Store pricing!?

Anyways - I pose a question, part sarcastically but with a touch of curious suspicion: does Touch Arcade get paid to advertise games in the "iPhone and iPod Touch Games" section of the forum and as a result feels compelled or pressured to patrol the game threads and relocate posts that question the price? Why do you all care so much! These are forums, people aren't breaking rules so why intervene!?

11. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #1271 backtothis, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
    Um there's that many posts here because the moderators move posts here nearly daily from the threads in the release section. Lol, you said it yourself. They used to use another trash can in the lounge, but now use this one instead. Hodapp can address the rest since no one else would actually know the answer. There wouldn't be any kind of 'crusade' if people like you didn't start this kind of crap. Release threads are meant to be used to discuss the game, not complain about prices.

12. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Price discussion is important to some members.. which is why posts were moved here and not deleted. Others know if a game is not worth the price a dev is asking then they don't buy it.

13. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Exactly. That's why this is here. Post all the shit you want in here. Just don't do it in the release threads.

14. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #1274 dumaz1000, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
    It's more like "out of sight, out of mind."

Extreme iOS fanboys don't want to confront the damage their own cheapness does to the overall competitive fairness of the marketplace. They sweep the whole thing under the rug and remain in denial. The one law, above all others, that governs our universe. For every action, there is an equal but opposite reaction. There is a steep price, even if it's not a monetary one, to be paid for supporting a climate the recklessly encourages an unfairly fleecing the gaming marketplace. Just because you can, doesn't neccessarily mean that you should. There are consequences. Anyone with half a brain realizes that these games are worth 5 times more than what we are paying for them. A game worth $10 or 20 is selling for $2, because of unfair/unreasonable market demand, and people have the nerve to bitch and moan and demand that it sell $1 instead of $2.

High-quality indie games are rarely produced anymore. Games like Aralon and Mission Europa are very very rare these days. The vast majority of Indie apps are now cash-grab casual mini game-type craaps. It didn't always used to be like that. I've been around the scene a long time, so I should know. There were always craaps, of course, but there was a time when there were many more quality indie devs. There used to be a lot more devs period, makes all qualities of game. Most are pretty obviously gone. They could not remain competitive within the "race to the bottom" economy.

Major developers continue to strip out more and more content so that they can, in turn, justify selling their games for cheaper and cheaper. Many high quality EA and Gameloft games include roughly 2 hours of base gameplay, which is sad. It's sad that Dead Space is 2 hours long. It's sad that EA felt at some point compelled to sell Dead Space for .99c. That is legitimately a $40 game on the DS, 3DS, PSP, NGP.

If you think there is a significant difference from pirating a PC copy of Dead Space, or buy the iOS version of Dead Space for .99c, there's not as much difference as you'd like to believe. Legally, there is. Sure. Morally and ethically, not so much. You know what you are doing is wrong. You know that you are damaging the gaming community. Yet, you do not care. You care only about your own instant gradification, the long-term consquences of your actions be damned.

Although that copy of Dead Space sells for 6.99, it's worth (in comparision the gaming marketplace as a whole, and not just the iOS marketplace by itself, in a vaccum) 19.99, mimium. And you just bought it for a dollar. That's the type of selfish attitude that will and has put countless developers out of business. EA can handle it. EA can also handle you stealing the PC version for nothing. It's not going to put them out of business. But that doesn't make it right.

15. natedogg213

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    Thanks for repeating exactly what I said. I am not the problem as you call it because I don't go to release threads to comment about price. But if I felt compelled to do so, why not!? And if I remember correctly, FFIII is and remains the only game I have pricing issues with. And I didn't start the thread.

16. natedogg213

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    Thank you officer!!

17. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Yeah it hurt my heart to see the Epic Dead Space go to 99 cents. I brought it while it was $7 and enjoyed various playthroughs. Last year the games improved in huge leaps and bounds. I dont see the same type of leap this year after that.

18. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    If all of this is true, then we have no argument. If you honestly only feel that FFIII is overpriced, that's perfectly fine. It's not hard to see why many people would. However, your comments in this thread really don't suggest that FFIII is the only price you're not okay about. I never said you started this thread. You may not post such things in threads, but do you deny that a third to a half of the comments of nearly every release thread of a game priced over a dollar do contain these comments? Just who are you defending here?

19. natedogg213

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    Aren't extreme iOS fanboys the ones buying every game that comes out? If not, what makes one an iOS fanboy?

I read this first sentence a few times and don't follow. By fleecing the gaming marketplace are you referring to game companies right? And what are the consequences you speak of?

So Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Doodle Jump and the top $1 games should be $5-20!? And "unfair/unreasonable market demand"!? You'd give an economist a heart attack. It's alright though, they're not credible anyways ;)

Uh, didn't Mission Europa come out in March, and Aralon in December 2010?

Poor, poor EA. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to respect your opinion but this last paragraph is simply nonsense. You are equating paying $.99 for an iOS game to illegally downloading software. What am I supposed to do, buy Dead Space and send a check for $20 to EA!? And for the record, a lot of us - me included - bought Dead Space in January for $7. If you've been around so darn long you'd realize that EA's pricing is a roller coaster ride.

20. natedogg213

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    If you can find any other mentioning of price on any other games, I'd be willing to admit my error. It's easy for me to remember that FFIII is the only one because it is the highest price for a iOS game that I've encountered!

I suppose it depends on which release thread you are perusing. I don't seem to be seeing these price complaints bogging down threads that I go in. But at the same time, I tend to avoid IAPs and MMORPGs, where this most likely happens. I'm not here to defend anything or anyone. My experience with iphone gaming has been a joy! But that doesn't mean I won't express my opinion from time to time.