what are you guys playing on your iPod/iPhone that just don't get old?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dssed, Jan 4, 2010.

1. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    - Eliminate Pro. (in spurts. I can never get tired of it.)

- Battle for Wesnoth. (just is an awesome TBS game that is very engaging and long.)

- Hook Champ. (Addicting platformer with RPG elements. Love the leaderboard setup and in game store. The way Openfeint is integrated just sets it over the top.)

- Minigore (my favorite top down duel stick shooter. Its very simple, solid graphics, smooth play and pretty challenging to unlock more characters. Updates are still coming in to make the game even better.)

- Stair Dismount (something about pushing Mr. Dismount and watching the bones break and scores add up is just great. Very addictive time killer.)

- Call of Duty: World at War: Zombies (I never thought this game ported would be so freaking awesome. Nothing has been taken away and the graphics are just like playing on a console. My favorite single player FPS. The co-op online multiplayer is very engaging. Pure fun.)

- Skies of Glory (Best airplane/dogfighting game to date all around. Very addictive as well as some of the best graphical experience on iTouch i have played. with the online multiplayer this one never gets old.)

- Red Bull FMX (I love that i can play it in short sessions. My best replays are saved. Trying to get the tricks perfected is a fun experience in itself. Underrated.)

Those are some of mine that have weathered the storm along with short reasoning. All are well worth the investment asked. ;)

2. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    Drop7. Just when I stat getting weary it sucks me back in. I can still kill an hour fighting that thing- maybe I will play it right now.

3. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    Bejeweled 2 since they added the 'Blitz" mode and friends Facebook Leaderboards has breathed new life into this one for me.
    I have always loved this game, and now enjoying it even more.
    :D

4. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    When you say 'gets old' do you mean that you don't want to play it any more because you have:
    a) completed all the levels and there is nothing left to do
    b) gets really repetitive and boring.

If so then Labyrinth 2 would probably be high up on that list. It's got user generated levels, multilayer, achievements etc which will always bring me back for more.

However, I have to say that every game gets old, even the best. Remember Modern Warfare 2? Well when it was released there was SO much hype. All my friends (not me) were going to get it and they couldn't wait, and they wanted to spend their life savings for that game.... Well now I hear them saying a month later 'Yeah, it's OK' and they are now raving about something else like Assassins Creed 2 etc. Don't you people ever learn!!!
    Yeah, sorry for going off track but all games get old eventually.

Mad

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #25 MidianGTX, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
    There are only really two games that I feel have this kind of lasting appeal for me on the iPhone, Labyrinth 2 and PathPix.

Lab2 for obvious reasons, and as for PathPix, there's just something about joining those numbers together that really relaxes me. I've got a bit of a sleeping problem and can never get to sleep simply by going to bed and turning the light off, so I developed a routine of watching a DVD until I fall asleep. It can't be any DVD, it has to be something I've seen so often that I can close my eyes and just listen... and still know exactly what's going on. If it's a program/movie I haven't seen I'll be too interested in it to fall asleep.

This is actually going somewhere...

...so anyway, PathPix has now become a part of that routine. I put my DVD on, get into bed and start linking numbers together while listening to my favourite programs/movies in the background. It relaxes me much faster than just the DVD on it's own and ensures I get a better nights sleep :) It has a limited number of levels, but that doesn't matter, because by the time you've finished them all, there's no way you'll remember exactly how the others pieced together, so each playthrough feels just as fresh.

Plus... PathPix Pro was released quite recently which bumped the number of puzzles for both games combined to the grand total of 469. I don't think I could ask for more :)

I realize this is a long post and most people probably don't care, but... whatever. This game rules and my passion for it has been slowly building for a long time, it had to burst sooner or later.

6. YouAllEverybody

YouAllEverybody Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I love PathPix too. and so does my friend who likes almost no ipod games (except games like scrabble and monopoly which aren't iphone originals) or games of any kind for that matter, so pathpix must be absolutely wonderful :D
    I've deleted it after finishing all 169 puzzles..working on PathPix pro now :)

7. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

^ This + iBlast Moki, Touchgrind, and Canabalt

8. YouAllEverybody

YouAllEverybody Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Touchgrind is absolutely great. bought it over a year ago and still it can still feel like I got it yesterday

9. DGH94

DGH94 Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Next to the Maiden
    I just got TouchGrind, and can't do a thing. :(
    Still giving it a chance though.

10. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    don't worry, there's a learning curve. as you unlock boards you'll get better.

it was kind of the same thing with Hook Champ, if you've played that.

11. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    Some of my favorite games for replay value are the ones with achievements and/or leaderboards. Games like Run!, Green Fingers, Catch Cows, Flight Control, Monkeys in Space, and Canabalt.

In the non-achievement category, I would include Catan, Ingenious, Hive, and Drop7. Apart from the casual pick up and play games, I keep coming back to those games again and again.

I keep trying to get into Hook Champ, but I always have more trouble with the controls than I should. I get frustrated with it because I feel like the only one who has that problem.

12. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    --Games that I still play that require some free time:

The Creeps
    Sway
    OMG Pirates!

--Games that are good quick ones when waiting for something:

Doodle Jump
    Sky Burger
    Skee-Ball
    Implode!
    iDracula
    Trenches
    Ragdoll Blaster

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I dunno if you've seen it, but it's also available for PC by the same developer. I don't find it quite as relaxing without the touch screen and having to sit at a desk to play... (and it's $19.95) but it has something like 1400 puzzles and more free packs released every now and then.

14. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    geoSpark
    Minigore
    Canabalt
    Doodle Jump
    Space Ninja

15. Godaime

Godaime Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2009
    These don't get old for me

-doodle jump
    -epic pet wars (the frenzy of trying to level up)
    -jet car stunts ( just gets frustrating sometimes since it is very challenging, but fun)
    -NOVA

16. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Oh my jeez,

You actually play EPW?

17. Cole

Cole Active Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Game Dev
    SF Bay Area
    I dont play for long sessions, but whenever I come back to boost I always enjoy it. Its refreshing!

18. iamnotpretending

iamnotpretending Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Marketing guy, developer
    Chicago
  19. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    bejeweled 2.

prob one of the first games I got too, and have been playing it for longer than a year especially with the new Blitz mode and competing weekly with my wife who kicks my ass :(

20. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    COD zombies
    Sway
    Vector Tanks
    Doom

And actually, minigore...which has turned into quite a pleasant, if repetitive, little gem.