What happened to gameloft?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Anonomation, Jun 20, 2014.

1. goodboyback

goodboyback Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    #41 goodboyback, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
    Yet claim console quality graphics and held a whole conference dedicated to it,The reality though is different Dq8,Gta Sa all GL games anything remotely taxing runs like crap on their flagship device.Sometimes I wonder what they do when an app is given to them for a review,No way could they attest 16-17fps these games run as a playable framerate.

Only games which run smoothly either have simplistic Ps1 graphics or are 2d games like angry birds which I can play on a 50$ device just as good.All show no substance.

2. Coil_Whine

Coil_Whine Active Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I just avoid iAP wherever possible. I have a jailbreak app that allows me to bypass some iAP (it's illegal though) but I still use it. It only works for 3% of apps though.

3. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    So, since IAP is so evil, you are okay with stealing.

Hmm...

4. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Oh ho ho!
    We got ourselves a morally righteous pirate here mateys!

5. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    He's banned now.

6. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Yeah, noted that in the godfire thread.

7. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    It's just how the business goes. Freemium games make the money, premium games only boost reputation. It won't be long until playstation 5 games are all freemium downloads. Gameloft can either make games that make more money or less money...hmm tough choice. Freemium games are the cigarets of gaming. Addictive and popular even tho people know they are bad.

8. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Piracy isn't right, but it's not the same thing as stealing.

9. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    The minute the console giants have freemium games, and not just one but at least some/a lot... Oh boy. People are gonna go crazy. That said, I think gaming would have to go down a whole lot more then it is now. That's rock bottom to me. Basically it's as bad as Nintendo going 3rd party.

10. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    It's exactly the same thing as stealing.
    Digital theft is still theft and the legal systems in most developed countries will reflect that.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Totally agree. It's theft

12. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    No. If I steal your car, you don't have it anymore. If I pirate your software, you still have your software, I just have it too.

In most countries the definition of theft involves the intention to take the item away from the person you steal it from.

None of this makes piracy more ethical than theft, of course...

13. Thil29

Thil29 Active Member

May 30, 2013
    Digital piracy isn't theft. Just like dannythefool mentioned it's not theft if you've lost what you have. All those that pirate are potential customers and potential sales to the company. They are only losing potential customers, not losing their assets.

14. goodboyback

goodboyback Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    piracy is theft,if someone is stealing copyright created content through the internet then it's no different then someone stealing a hard copy from a game store.

15. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    So it's cool if I "pirate" your credit card number? You'll still have it too ;)

16. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Come on guys, really? The piracy vs theft argument again?

17. epik5

epik5 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Guys, they do are deleting old games. Sadly on my retro gaming list i have told that rayman 2 got removed. If you are one guy who bought that game and got removed got to your updates, purchased apps and go scroll down and down.

18. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    #58 oscar123967, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    Theft or not... Its still a terrible thing to do. People spend a great amount of time and money developing games for entertainment value. And for what else? For money. Its their job, they need money too. Its a buisness. They're a company. And the thought of people just taking their merchandise, whether its iAP or a premium game's price tag, without paying them a single cent (sound familiar?) is just sick, childish, and no doubt, wrong.

I personally don't see a problem with Gameloft. They develop mobile games, and they're doing it right. They have freemium games here and there, and premium games here and there. IAP was not as big back then as it is today, so thats why they've added it to most games. It generates profit. Why do they want profit? I don't think I have to answer that. At least I hope.

iAP is not nessesary in their premium games, at all. I see it as more of a donation to them and in exchange I get some sort of small boost. As for their freemium games, ofc they're going to nudge you to buy an iAP — it is a freemium game. Freemium is a pay model. It allows mass downloads, because its free, and some people pay up by purchasing some sort of micro-transaction. Why do they use this? Because it generates profit. Put on their shoes for a second. Would you want to make a game that is free (more downloads) and has iAP that generates loads of money and one person can buy that iAP as many times as they want, or a game that has a solid price tag and no iAP (way less downloads) and they just pay once.

This is the mobile market.

If anything they've become a better company. They listen to feeback, they constantly update their games now, and they develop many games that appeal to many different audiences.

19. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Gameloft do it in a global scale, but no one speaks out..

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Totally agree, many of the coders/graphic artists just have to do their job, its not fair for people to steal them.

Now dont get me wrong you could say on the other hand 'well you like emulation, surely you're stealing an old MAME game or 8 bit game from the 80's' which is kinda true. But if a games out there and re-released (Say Double Dragon) i'll always buy the game to help the devs (despite having it on MAME). I always buy Dot Emu's games despite having most of them on Gridlee for example.

In my mind 30-40 year old games i dont feel bad emulating. I wouldnt however emulate any 'new' games, i'm sure the law still thinks its 'stealing' but i doubt i'll get put in court for playing Manic Miner from 1983 rather than a recent X-Box game (i dont have an xbox but you know what i mean)

As for freemium i'm not a huge fan but simply put, if you dont like it dont download their games. No ones forcing you to play them, you think IAP's are bad, dont download the game. I cant stand Flappy Bird games so any dev who released one i now avoid their new releases.

Sadly the vast majority seem to download freemium/buy IAP's so if anything we're in the minority here.

But you have a choice, download/buy IAP's, do whatever you want but you cant blame companies for doing freemium when they make massive profits and so keep people employed who can then pay their mortgages, pay tons of taxes to the government etc etc.

As for deleting old games surely you can just restore it on itunes cant you ? Do people seriously not keep/download all their IPA's ? Seems crazy not to (specially in todays day and age when you can use cloud hosting to keep lots of files on). Sorry but i've got no sympathy if people dont keep backups